Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2015 Accord sport with 6 speed manual. Is it my imagination or does running the air conditioning really just load this car down. Without the air conditioning on, the sport is pretty peppy but with the air conditioning running, sometimes I fell this car barely gets out of its own way.

·
Registered
745 Posts
So I have a 2015 Accord sport with 6 speed manual. Is it my imagination or does running the air conditioning really just load this car down. Without the air conditioning on, the sport is pretty peppy but with the air conditioning running, sometimes I fell this car barely gets out of its own way.
You are not imagining things. 4 cylinder with a/c no Bueno. I'm in the same boat. In my 6.0l Chevy work van you can't even tell. Maybe grab an under drive pulley I believe that is suppose to help but there may be a drawback not sure never ran them. Just roll your windows up for awhile it'll get real hot, then drop em it'll feel like a/c lol

·
Registered
758 Posts
I could really feel the power draw with the AC on in my VW GTI even with the turbo charged 4 cylinder but really don't notice it with the V6 in the Accord. I think 4 cylinders are affected the most by the power robbing AC even when they are turbo charged. Hard to over come physics..

·
Registered
745 Posts
There's no replacment for displacement lol

·
Registered
702 Posts
Normally aspirated 4 bangers make very little torque at standard driving rpm of idle to 3k. A/c compressor adds a huge load that disproportionately affects power transfer to the wheels vs a V6 (or higher).

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's a 4 cylinder.

Of course you're going to feel the A/C cycling on and off.Turn the econ button off,and you won't notice it as much.What do you expect from a 30+ mpg car.

·
Tampa FL
417 Posts

It does; nevertheless, if you floor it, the A/C disengages while you are a WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Now that said, I have noticed that it is less noticable than other 4 cylinder cars I driven before. And to those that say that a V6 is not affected, that is bullcrap, it is also affected (but you feel it less) :smile

Reactions: MoHonda

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Most car’s A/C compressors use a 2.5 ton unit, about the same size as a house’s A/C unit.

Refrigeration tons to BTU conversion calculator
Horsepower to Btus Per Hour | Kyle's Converter

1 ton = 12,000 btu/hr
1 hp = 2,544 btu/hr

Therefore 2.5 tons = 30,000btu/hr = 11.8 horspower.

A car’s A/C unit consumes ABOUT 11 horsepower at full blast.

But wait, it gets worse!

If you operate at 2,000 rpm, how much torque does it require to produce 11 hp?

TQ = (HP)(5252)/RPM
TQ = (11hp)(5252)/ 2000 rpm
TQ = 28.88 lbs-ft.

At 2,000 rpm, peak torque (when fully floored) for the I4 is about 140 lbs-ft or so. That means the A/C consumes about 20% of its available power at 2,000 rpm. The V6 produces about 225 lbs-ft at 2,000 rpm, which means the A/C unit consumes about 12% of its power at 2,000 rpm. (Again, that is when the A/C unit is on full blast.)

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
It does; nevertheless, if you floor it, the A/C disengages while you are a WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Now that said, I have noticed that it is less noticable than other 4 cylinder cars I driven before.
This. Partial throttle gets bogged down but it's a 4 cylinder anyways...not much happens unless the pedal is to the floor anyways.

And it's not just WOT...seems there's quite a bit of pedal travel that will disengage the AC. I can feel it (temp wise) pretty much instantly because the ambient air is 110+.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Thanks Baldeagle for the scientific explaination and calculation.

Nothing is free. Living in Texas I don't notice the difference because we use the AC continuously from May through October. I have not noticed that big a difference with the earth dreams I4 engine power loss than I have with other four cylinder engines because of it's wide flat torque curve. Turning off the ECON mode will help with the engine power response and aid in the AC cooling.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Very informative post Baldeagle. Thank you.

Another reason why I'm glad I went with the V6. Power to spare.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You had to know this would turn into an I4 vs. V6 thread. :yes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Funny how I was going to post the same thing yesterday. The i4 really struggles and it seems to make the power steering more stiffer as well. Yesterday I've noticed this in 90* degree weather with AC on full blast. The car just doesn't want to move unless you give it more than usual gas.

At the same time, I was also using low tier gas, maybe that may have an effect? I've put Mobil branded fuel last night, and did see some what of a difference but cannot be sure as it may be a placebo.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
You had to know this would turn into an I4 vs. V6 thread. :yes:
Not necessarily. More horsepower and torque means the AC compressor's power draw will be a smaller percentage than in a car with less horsepower and torque.

Reactions: dsskid
1 - 20 of 30 Posts