Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Should the dust and pollen filter's air flow direction up or down on a 2013 accord i4?

Just took my out for cleaning, only 6600 miles, found a lot of small leaves..

Thanks,

E

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
The tray that holds the filter has the air flow direction labeled with an arrow. The filter should also have an arrow on it.

On the 8G, both arrows point down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tray that holds the filter has the air flow direction labeled with an arrow. The filter should also have an arrow on it.

On the 8G, both arrows point down.
There is no tray on my 13 I4., there is only a cover, but there is no marking to indicate the direction. The filter has the arrow, but my brother forgot up or down.

·
Elvira
3,590 Posts
Were the leaves on the top of the filter or the bottom of the filter?

Logically the airflow would be from top down or else the leaves would be on the bottom and fall into the heater core.

Basically hold the filter dirty side up and replace the new filter with the arrow going in same direction of the old filter.

Miker

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Alternatively, just stick your hand or a bit of paper (don't let go of it) in the slot where the filter went and see which way the air is moving.

·
Elvira
3,590 Posts
There is no tray on my 13 I4., there is only a cover, but there is no marking to indicate the direction. The filter has the arrow, but my brother forgot up or down.
I'm sure you are right that there is no tray, but that doesn't sound correct. Haven't changed mine yet, but I remember seeing a tray that held the filter in place in various youtube videos and writeups. They were for the '12s but.....

Did they cheap out on the filter tray in the '13?

It would seem that the filter replacements I see being sold would loosely fit into the housing if there were no tray.

I guess I'll find out when I change mine soon enough.

Miker

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
How often should you change the air filter and which brand do you guys recommend?
The maintenance minder will tell you when. Wal-Mart sells a Fram that looks just like our OE unit for $14.

Jay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The maintenance minder will tell you when. Wal-Mart sells a Fram that looks just like our OE unit for $14.

Jay
The factory one is just a plain paper filter, the fram fresh breeze one claims to have carbon and baking soda to help the smell??!?

BTW, there is no marker on the cover, there is a marking to show airflow is down to the ground. Thanks for everyone helps. I just took it out, and knocked out the loose leaves and others stuffs... can't believe it is that dirty already, I only have the car less than 6 months for 6600+ miles.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
How often should you change the air filter and which brand do you guys recommend?
I change mine @ 20,000. Change the engine air filter at the same time. Good to start checking them between 10 and 15k in case they get really dirty sooner. Depends on the driving conditions. Dryer, dusty areas will probably need replaced between 10-15k.

And I don't believe there is a tray for the cabin filter any longer. Just slides in like a home furnace filter.

·
Registered
924 Posts
i was surprised by this. i just changed oil yesterday and thought to check my cabin filter, which was not bad at 23k, and it didnt have a tray for the filter like previous models. air flow direction is stamped on the lower slot where the filter slides in but there was not a direction arrow on the filter itself. i decided to put it in upside down to see if id travel back in time when i hit 88 mph. :lmao:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts