Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Air Ride Suspension

33K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  J9thgenaccord 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone, my name is Cody and I am new here. I have been coming to the forums daily for the last few months doing research and reading every post to get as much knowledge as i can. This weekend I started going to dealerships in search of cars, and I figure I would make a post. The first modification I have planned is air ride suspension. I have read a couple hundred pages on the suspension thread, but I havent been able to find details on the strut setup.
I was wondering if those who have air suspension could possibly let me know what company you used and how you like it? On the rear did you use a seperate bag and shock, or a skinny strut bag in the shock location?

As for the car, I am in search of a white, EX-L i4 sedan. I would like to buy new, but cost wise, I am pretty sure I will need to get a used 2013 model.
I currently have a 2013 Passat SE, but I was hit last summer, and the car lost its appeal after that.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and I look forward to making my first post with pictures once I purchase the car!

#2 ·
Welcome. I do not have bags but I have installed a few sets. The only ones I've seen for our accords would be mounted as one unit on the rear (like struts) unlike those for VW and some MBs and such. Only a handful of members on here have bag setups as these cars are still relatively new and not usually the first car most guys might choose for that setup (although they do look good dumped).

#3 ·
Thanks Rj! Are there any struts that you prefer to use? I noticed that K-sport has struts available now, and I know a few people(with other types of vehicles) that have had good luck with Airlift universal air struts and they make the mounts for their cars.

#4 ·
Setups that I have installed were made by Airtech and Air lLft Performance on other cars like an STI and S2000. Contact one of the members who have them on their 9th gen like dubstepslap415 (who has a sick setup). He used D2 coilovers, which are made by the exact same manufacturer as Ksport for his base setup then added bags to that. His setup looks like a work of art from the pics I've seen.

#6 ·
When I was looking into Air Suspension, this is what I came up with:

There are two main components to airride. 1) strut/bags 2) management system.

These are the current out-of-the-box options:
Ksport
D2racing
Airrunner
Airrex

Of the ones above, Airrunner bundles their system with Accuair digital management
Airrex has their own digital management system
D2 and Ksport bundle their own analog system

In addition to these out-of-the-box solutions, you can also check with Airlift and similar companies that use bag-over-coilover setups. They are pretty much universal applications. You then would have to chose the management system accordingly.

One thing you have to remember is there are multiple ways to configure an air ride system (buying each piece separately, or going with pre-bundled setups).

For me personally, I chose Airrunner because of their reputation and Accuair which seems to be the industry standard for digital systems. It was not cheap, but I didn't want to run into any headaches, etc. My other option would have been to order Airrex bags/struts and run Accuair for management. Hope this helps. Do your research, and set a realistic budget for bags if you want it done right. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Thanks Cricket. How do you like the Airrunner struts? I've had 6 or 7 bagged cars/trucks before and went to SEMA 2012 with Accuair/Airaid. I like the Accuair stuff, but I think on this build im going with Airlift's V2 manifold for management. I am just not sure who has the best struts for the Accords. Being MacPhereson front struts, I've seen some vehicles where suspension binds through travel.

#8 ·
Airrunner uses OEM struts and they retrofit the bag setup on top and use different inner cartridges with 4 dampening settings, so fitment is completely like OEM.

On the flip side, I noticed the struts that Airrex/Ksport/D2 use are pretty darn similar to each other and they use their own adjustable coilover setup with bags instead of springs. I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same factory in Asia. The benefit to using any of these is you can probably adjust more height out of them and they should have something ridiculous like 16 dampening adjustments (not sure how functional the increments are) but they are nothing like the Airrunners in terms of build/fitment, etc...

I can only tell you how the Airrunner setup is since that is what I am on, but I am 100% happy with the quality and ride comfort. It is not bouncy and it feels completely like stock at any height. I did note that my suspension travel is less up front than the rears. Not sure if that is a limitation of the bags they use on the front struts or what.

The only downer is Airrunner doesn't seem to sit on inventory so they are built to order which take close to 3 months from Japan. Airrunner uses 1/4" fittings by the way, so I did have to use an adapter from my Accuair VU4 and ran 1/4" lines. It is more than ample and powers everything quite quickly and efficiently.

Hope this helps.

#10 ·
Aon-Cody

Airrex has just finished a complete kit for the 2013 Accords that is now available to order, if you see Stancedsports car he has the whole set up I believe and the kit includes a management system as well. I'm just waiting for a little extra coin in the bank to order mine.

#14 ·
So after reading all of these posts, quick noob question I have a 13' coupe and I want to do the D2 kit but my only question is do you have to alter or remove the inner wheel well carpet lining thingy to achieve a full air'd out stance?

Thanks, Kyxx

#15 ·
Hydraulics is also an option. You can run accumulators, one pump, with 2-3 batteries. Tre5 Customs in AZ specialize in unibody cars and trucks. He makes custom mounts so you can bolt the hydraulic cylinder in place of the strut. Here is a video of a car running accumulators, and a link to the Tre5 Customs thread. I don't know them personally, but I've watched a couple of his build threads and his fabrication work is top notch.

#16 ·
I'm currently looking for an installer to do my air suspension. I'm going with the airrex over the airrunner. From talking to people I was told both are quality air struts. The airrunner uses kyb shocks and airrex seems more performance based. Here is a link to the airrunner setups. This is the basic setup. http://www.airrunnersystems.com/air-suspension/category/new-application/honda This is with the accuair elevel. http://www.airrunnersystems.com/air...ordacura-tl-essential-series-e-level-kit.html I decided to go with accuair elevel with 2 air zenith ob2 compressors. Here is a site you can go to and get in contact with them for help with your setup. http://bagriders.com/modlab/ They can get you what you want.

#17 ·
I have also been doing my research because its one of my next mods. So far I'm liking the AirRex all in one box kit that goes for 5k ordered and about $600 to install. All the other Accords around my area are using airlift performance which is $4,500 installed w/ the V2 controller. Im more torn between these 2 then the rest. AirRex is a complete bolt on with better shock absorbers and more advanced damping characteristics. Proprietary triple seal air springs. And AirREX offers a kit for the 2013+ Accord while Airlift will need to be created to work on the car. here are some Accords in my area.

Attachments

#18 ·
Contact Jorge_Airrex on instagram if you want free install. I think he only install Airrex. His free promo/event is ending soon. Not sure when, i am guessing end of march.

He had 2010 Bagged Coupe. He is located in Florida

#19 ·
Didn't know if you got your answer or not yet, but I've recently bagged my car using AirRex Suspension, but Airlift Autopilot V2 management. I love it. The quality of AirRex's struts are top notch. Definitely worth the buy if air ride is what your looking for :thmsup:

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I attached a picture below to see what it looks like aired out. Front isn't maxed yet.

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
Air Rex and D2 are the only people who make bolt in struts for our cars ATM the I know of they are around $3000+ for a set DM if you have any questions I have recently ordered a whole set up for my car and know a ton about this now haha

#21 ·

I'm new to driveaccord.net. Just thought I'd post a pic of my car on full Airrex system. Bought the car January 19, 2014 and installed the airrex system on April 5, 2014. I recommend Airrex, very easy to install. Took me about 6 hours to install with the help of one of my friends. Love the ride, and also just the thought they use this air suspension on race tracks.

#22 ·
Didn't know if you got your answer or not yet, but I've recently bagged my car using AirRex Suspension, but Airlift Autopilot V2 management. I love it. The quality of AirRex's struts are top notch. Definitely worth the buy if air ride is what your looking for :thmsup:

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I attached a picture below to see what it looks like aired out. Front isn't maxed yet.
Oh man you guys are killing me with these shots!!! maybe I need to get a loan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.