Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

alabaster silver owners, is this painting normal?

• My car has similar painting and I think it is normal.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • My car has similar painting and I think it is defective

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My car does not look like this and your car has defective painting.

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • My car does not look like this and I think your car is normal too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the painting in the picture is defective or normal and have the similar painting or not?

I am trying to see how many of you who own alabaster silver accord have the painting issue I have and what you think of it.
I have the mottling (zebra stripes or blotchiness) on hood, fenders, roof, and trunk. I do not have problem with the painting on door panels and bumpers. It came out of the Ohio factory like this. Honda representative said there is nothing wrong with the painting in these pictures. So, I am trying to see if it's just me or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
hmm...haven't noticed it on mine, but i haven't really checked for it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've never noticed that on mine.
Can you see the stripes in person, or do you only notice them in pictures?

·
4,637 Posts
Might be an issue caused from the protective wrap applied at the factory. When moisture gets underneath and the sun hits it or other factors. There should be a tsb on this. Carefully using a heat gun on the paint can help the shadowing dissapear. I'd let the dealer try the fix only. There was a thread about this a long time ago. Probly a year or two ago. Hopefully mentioning this to the dealer will trigger them to find the tsb. Good luck!

Here's another thread that talked about the problem: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32353&highlight=paint&page=2 The last post by Princess contains an Acura bulletin.

Edit: I can't attatch a document right now but Toyota had a similiar problem. Google "tsb PA002-06" and you can view the document.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can it by standing in front of it at certain conditions.

I've never noticed that on mine.
Can you see the stripes in person, or do you only notice them in pictures?
Yes, I can. Especially, under direct sun light at the angle that doesn't blind my eyes, or directly under parking lot light at night. It is actually more visible than it is in the pictures at certain angles. However, it is not visible on a cloudy day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might be an issue caused from the protective wrap applied at the factory. When moisture gets underneath and the sun hits it or other factors. There should be a tsb on this. Carefully using a heat gun on the paint can help the shadowing dissapear. I'd let the dealer try the fix only. There was a thread about this a long time ago. Probly a year or two ago. Hopefully mentioning this to the dealer will trigger them to find the tsb. Good luck!

Here's another thread that talked about the problem: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32353&highlight=paint&page=2 The last post by Princess contains an Acura bulletin.

Edit: I can't attatch a document right now but Toyota had a similiar problem. Google "tsb PA002-06" and you can view the document.
This is interesting. Thanks a lot. I will bring these TSB to them on my next visit, and see what they think about.
But they try not to acknowledge that there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Not normal .

·
Super Moderator
4,599 Posts
definitely not normal.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It isn't normal. The paint wasn't sprayed uniformly on the primer before clear coat went on it. Your problem has nothing to do with clear coat. The problem is with inappropriate spraying of paint itself.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't have the 2010 model, but my car is alabaster silver also and it doesn't look like this whatsoever.

Would you mind letting us know how long ago did you get your car and how many miles it has now? If you just got it I would seriously (continue to)bring this to the dealer's attention and then Honda corporate's attention ASAP. The longer you wait the less likely they will do anything about it.

If like you said that they keep purposely try to avoid the problem, if I were you, I would complain every time I go in to the dealership that sold me the car and try to make a scene every time in front of other customers, until they agree to do something about it.

Or you can make a big sign that says something like "My new Honda has factory defects and Honda and ____(name of your dealership) won't do anything about it!" and place it on your car and drive around in your town. :D

Trust me, if you are persistent enough they will do something about it. Either repaint the car for you free or give you a new one. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have the 2010 model, but my car is alabaster silver also and it doesn't look like this whatsoever.

Would you mind letting us know how long ago did you get your car and how many miles it has now? If you just got it I would seriously (continue to)bring this to the dealer's attention and then Honda corporate's attention ASAP. The longer you wait the less likely they will do anything about it.

If like you said that they keep purposely try to avoid the problem, if I were you, I would complain every time I go in to the dealership that sold me the car and try to make a scene every time in front of other customers, until they agree to do something about it.

Or you can make a big sign that says something like "My new Honda has factory defects and Honda and ____(name of your dealership) won't do anything about it!" and place it on your car and drive around in your town. :D

Trust me, if you are persistent enough they will do something about it. Either repaint the car for you free or give you a new one. Good luck. :)
I got it on March 1, 2010. currently about 5,000 miles on it. So far, I talked to the dealer service manager five times regarding this issue and talked to the Honda corporation too. It was April 15 when I first talked about this painting problem though my first visit to dealer was on March 15 due to wind whistling noise. They just say its normal. Since Honda corporation says its normal, I am not sure what I can do with dealership. I even talked to Dupon automotive paint division since the service manager claims that it is "the nature of the colour". They say that it is not normal and it is not the fault of their product but of the Honda manufacturing.

I thought about what you suggested but I decided not to go to their service department any more which take an hour for round-trip. The more I visit, the worse the condition of my accord get. During my total six visits, I brought up the wind whistling noise issue together. They made it worse. At first they were trying to pry off the wind shield side molding, but they figure out it wasn't the source of the problem. Then, they said they installed a missing grommet and left the molding bent. I had to come back not only because that didn't solve the problem but also because of the screwed molding. I also mention other things like rattle from rear deck panel. They said that they didn't have the felt so come next time. Then on my next visit they said Honda is investigating the issue. Always BSing me.

I am thinking about file a case at BBB but I heard they only mediate and don't do much. I am also considering getting rid of accord for peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
4,599 Posts
you may have mentioned this already but......why don't you take it to a different dealership and have them take a look at it and not this stealership that's BSing you?

just let them know that you have a whistling noise that you had looked at by another stealership and they made it worse. and then see what they can do about the paint.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I got it on March 1, 2010. currently about 5,000 miles on it. So far, I talked to the dealer service manager five times regarding this issue and talked to the Honda corporation too. It was April 15 when I first talked about this painting problem though my first visit to dealer was on March 15 due to wind whistling noise. They just say its normal. Since Honda corporation says its normal, I am not sure what I can do with dealership. I even talked to Dupon automotive paint division since the service manager claims that it is "the nature of the colour". They say that it is not normal and it is not the fault of their product but of the Honda manufacturing.

I thought about what you suggested but I decided not to go to their service department any more which take an hour for round-trip. The more I visit, the worse the condition of my accord get. During my total six visits, I brought up the wind whistling noise issue together. They made it worse. At first they were trying to pry off the wind shield side molding, but they figure out it wasn't the source of the problem. Then, they said they installed a missing grommet and left the molding bent. I had to come back not only because that didn't solve the problem but also because of the screwed molding. I also mention other things like rattle from rear deck panel. They said that they didn't have the felt so come next time. Then on my next visit they said Honda is investigating the issue. Always BSing me.

I am thinking about file a case at BBB but I heard they only mediate and don't do much. I am also considering getting rid of accord for peace of mind.
Wow. I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant Honda ownership so far. Like you, I haven't exactly had great dealership experience either. The few dealers in my area charge exorbitant rate and are infamous for their bad service. One of the dealers is even rumored to use AFTERMARKET parts on Honda vehicles that are brought in over there for service.
One of the only dealers around me that is half way decent and the one that I occasionally use, also charges pretty high rate for any kind of service. I brought my car in there under warranty TWICE, they told me both times that there was nothing wrong with my car, even though I definitely have felt something that wasn't right. Oh well, at least they seem to be ok with oil changes and charge reasonably for that. :lmao:

As far as your car goes, I'd definitely go to another shop(either dealer or good, independent shop that you know you can trust) for service if your local dealer is that unpleasant and incompetent to deal with.

I would keep on pressing the issues with Honda, since like you said it's been only three months or so since you bought the car. When you go to the dealer that sold you the car, ask them to show you the other silver cars on their lot and tell them(in a serious look) to look in your eyes and tell you that your car doesn't have any paint issues. If they still wouldn't budge after that, I'd go back to Honda corporate. I don't know, maybe you can write a formal letter, expressing your displeasure about the paint quality and your frustration with the way that they've failed to address your concerns thus far. Tell them(not necessarily in a threatening manner) that if they still would not recognize the problem, you'd go through the media channels or legal actions and see what happens.

Like you said, I'm not sure how effective BBB would be but it's worth a try.
I would sell the car only as the last resort, as you would likely lose thousands on the sale/trade-in. No point to give up so quickly since it's really Honda's fault that you are experiencing these problems so early.
you may have mentioned this already but......why don't you take it to a different dealership and have them take a look at it and not this stealership that's BSing you?

just let them know that you have a whistling noise that you had looked at by another stealership and they made it worse. and then see what they can do about the paint.
Taking the car to a different, better dealership is obviously a good idea. But I wouldn't tell them about how the previous dealer failed on diagnosing the problem or recognizing the paint issues(it's unlikely they'll do anything about this). It could be just another excuse for them to say that they can't find the problems once again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts