Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bout it, Bout it
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened last night at least 4 times. All doors, windows, trunk and hood were securely locked. I ultimately decided to disconnect the battery for the night. Re-connected it this morning and used my 2nd key FOB to lock the car afterwards. Since doing this it hasn't gone off once today. I don't know if switching key FOBs did the trick or what. My old Elantra had this same problem and it was the hood switch starting to act up. I would just open the hood and slam it shut real good and it would stop the issue for a while. Maybe opening/closing the hood when I disconnected and reconnected the battery jarred the sensor back into place...? How can I verify if the hood sensor is actually bad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
open the hood and try to lock the car with the hood open
if it beeps then its a bad switch
you will need an entire latch
fairly easy to replace
if it doesnt beep with the hood open then do the same with the doors and trunk one at a time

·
Registered
449 Posts
Check the engine hood latch and specifically its contact that "tells" the alarm that the hood is shut. This thing is buried inside the latch but you can see it with a good light and sharp eyes. It is possible that this contact is loosing contact intermittently and causing the alarm to go off. Attached is my latch mechanism; the contact is around the blue piece you can see (grimed in my case). Off hand I don't remember exactly where the contact is as it's been awhile for me, but it's there. Follow the movement of the latch and you can tell where metal pushes the contact. I clean mine occasionally with wd40, and spray lithium grease on the other moving mechanisms.

See if you can take a brush/floss/sharp instrument to and clean or get the contact unstuck if that is the case, or spray a lubricant. Your problem could be something bigger (latch assembly/wiring, alarm, PSM) but you may be able eliminate this as the problem.

acrdr has good advice on checking for doors/hood/trunk that may be showing as "ajar". Also individual inspect the door button mechanisms.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts