Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For those recommending that I get a Viper alarm system with Tilt sensor, will this alarm system interfere with my current 2016 EX (Sensing) FOB functions? Will I still be able to use the remote start,smart entry etc. on the FOB? Can an aftermarket system be easily integrated with the current key?

·
Registered
174 Posts
For those recommending that I get a Viper alarm system with Tilt sensor, will this alarm system interfere with my current 2016 EX (Sensing) FOB functions? Will I still be able to use the remote start,smart entry etc. on the FOB? Can an aftermarket system be easily integrated with the current key?
I used to have top-of-the-line Viper alarm system with a remote start on my Element back in 2004. I had to give up my "valet" key (grey color) for a remote start to work, installers cut it and fed key chip code to the engine immobilizer. Otherwise, Viper integrates with your factory system. You will probably have to use another separate remote for your alarm. I haven't been shopping for alarms recently, so they could've solved that issue with keys.

OTOH, the older I get the more I like OEM stuff. So if I was worried about wheels stolen and an alarm system, I would try to add a tilt sensor to my factory alarm system, upgrade horns and get wheel locks.

If you do decide to get a Viper, buy it online and get it professionally installed (unless you know how to do it). Online prices for Vipers (Amazon) are usually much lower than your average retailer (Best Buy etc).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I used to have top-of-the-line Viper alarm system with a remote start on my Element back in 2004. I had to give up my "valet" key (grey color) for a remote start to work, installers cut it and fed key chip code to the engine immobilizer. Otherwise, Viper integrates with your factory system. You will probably have to use another separate remote for your alarm. I haven't been shopping for alarms recently, so they could've solved that issue with keys.

OTOH, the older I get the more I like OEM stuff. So if I was worried about wheels stolen and an alarm system, I would try to add a tilt sensor to my factory alarm system, upgrade horns and get wheel locks.

If you do decide to get a Viper, buy it online and get it professionally installed (unless you know how to do it). Online prices for Vipers (Amazon) are usually much lower than your average retailer (Best Buy etc).
I just want to integrate the tilt sensor with the factory system and I'm trying to avoid an aftermarket system. I called a reputable alarm company and asked if this was possible. first they said no, then yes but would to contact the dealer. They told me to come in and talk to them.

I went to the store and this guy is pressuring me to get a Viper system with tilt sensor for $450. I got upset and left.

I'll go back down there after shopping around for prices. The tilt sensor I saw on Amazon is less than $100 but I'm not sure if they are compatible with Honda.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You can always add a shock sensor, glass breakage sensor, and/or lift sensor to your factory alarm. You won't have to worry about the lift sensor with the EX though. I would shop around for the best installer and not necessarily the cheapest price since the sensors aren't plug and play and require that the installer knows what they are doing. I just stopped by a shop last night after reading this thread since I had no idea you could add sensors to a factory alarm. I was quoted $300 for the glass breakage and tilt sensor which is on the high side since this is a rather expensive shop but it will give you an idea.
I didn't even see this post. Did you eventually added the sensors to your factory alarm and why shouldn't I worry about a lift sensor for my EX?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been shopping around for an alarm system as well for my 2016 Accord Sport that I picked up last week. My main concern is the 19" factory wheels. So far I've purchased 3 sets of wheel locks and have 3 locks from 3 different manufacturers on each wheel. Sure It won't stop someone who's determined but it won't make the wheels as easy to steal as it will make lots of noise in my quiet neighborhood when they have to bang on a slightly smaller socket to be able to get 12 locks off. Any deterrent is better than no deterrent.

I will also be installing an aftermarket viper alarm with tilt sensors that will alert me if my car has been lifted/jacked up. My brother in law had his '14 sport rims taken. Insurance took care of it and he had a new set in a matter of days. 2 weeks later they stole the entire car via flatbed towing.

I figure my 3 sets of wheel locks along with a 2-way aftermarket alarm with shock and tilt sensors would give me a bit more piece of mind. If they want they car that bad they're going to have to earn it. Its just a shame that in 2016 people are still stealing wheels/cars. Thought that died out in the early 90's!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been shopping around for an alarm system as well for my 2016 Accord Sport that I picked up last week. My main concern is the 19" factory wheels. So far I've purchased 3 sets of wheel locks and have 3 locks from 3 different manufacturers on each wheel. Sure It won't stop someone who's determined but it won't make the wheels as easy to steal as it will make lots of noise in my quiet neighborhood when they have to bang on a slightly smaller socket to be able to get 12 locks off. Any deterrent is better than no deterrent.

I will also be installing an aftermarket viper alarm with tilt sensors that will alert me if my car has been lifted/jacked up. My brother in law had his '14 sport rims taken. Insurance took care of it and he had a new set in a matter of days. 2 weeks later they stole the entire car via flatbed towing.

I figure my 3 sets of wheel locks along with a 2-way aftermarket alarm with shock and tilt sensors would give me a bit more piece of mind. If they want they car that bad they're going to have to earn it. Its just a shame that in 2016 people are still stealing wheels/cars. Thought that died out in the early 90's!
I would buy a new Viper off the Amazon. They have great prices, whole system for about 129-199 with different options and 2-way remotes included. Some people there said the battery on new fancy color remotes dies very fast, so you may want to go with an older monochrome remote. As far as range goes - Viper works really well for about a mile. No major issues with faulty sensors etc, I had it installed at Best Buy.

As far as stealing wheels - that's just sad. People should get a life.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would buy a new Viper off the Amazon. They have great prices, whole system for about 129-199 with different options and 2-way remotes included. Some people there said the battery on new fancy color remotes dies very fast, so you may want to go with an older monochrome remote. As far as range goes - Viper works really well for about a mile. No major issues with faulty sensors etc, I had it installed at Best Buy.

As far as stealing wheels - that's just sad. People should get a life.
I scheduled my appointment at reputable shop near my home for Saturday morning. Viper 2-way alarm with shock and tilt sensors, cut off immobilizer and remote start. System and installation is going to run me $375. Not bad considering the price of one rim and tire will run me more than that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
deevel79, I just had the rims and tires stolen off my 2017 Honda Accord Sport SE. I'm going get the Viper alarm mentioned in your comments. Did I understand you to say the factory immobilizer has to be removed to install the Viper? Also, how has the system worked on your Accord Sport? Have you had any problem with the system? Has it worked to keep your rims on your car? Thanks!

·
Registered
749 Posts
deevel79, I just had the rims and tires stolen off my 2017 Honda Accord Sport SE. I'm going get the Viper alarm mentioned in your comments. Did I understand you to say the factory immobilizer has to be removed to install the Viper? Also, how has the system worked on your Accord Sport? Have you had any problem with the system? Has it worked to keep your rims on your car? Thanks!
Another option is to install the DEI 504k and 2 sets of wheel locks. The DEI 504k adds a shock sensor to the factory alarm and has adjustable settings for its sensitivity. Before stealing wheels, thieves will ALWAYS make sure car has no shock sensor by doing this test kicking or hitting the tire before they will try to loosen lug nuts.

This option allows you to keep the factory alarm and engine immobilizer. Also hide the 2 wheel lock keys in seperate locations. The DEI 504k part cost around $30-$40 on ebay, amazon, and best buy. Installation will cost around $100 at any car stereo shop or best buy. Sorry for your loss.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts