Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the 19" HFPs from College hills and had costco put on some Michelin Pilots in the first week that I got the car back in April. The car started to pull to the right a few months ago. I'm really careful in driving and haven't hit any potholes. I took it to one Honda dealer, not where I purchased the car, and they said they didn't have the 19" wheel alignment :dunno:software.

Today, I took it to the dealer where I purchased the car and they did an alignment for free but they only have the Accord with 18" software but made some adjustments. They tested it and told me that it still pulls and suggested I go to a place that can do 19" wheels.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now. It feels like the car pulls a bit more after this alignment actually. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is strange. If you put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the HFP wheels, the diameter is exactly the same as the OEM 18" (tire diameters do vary even within the same size). However, the wheels themselves should have nothing to do with an alignment issue.

Try another Honda dealer to get an alignement done under warranty, or take it to a reputable place to have a proper alignment done. Any shop should be able to print out the results. In fact most shops (major tire stores) will check your alignment for free.

If you car is within specs, you migth have a tire with a radial pull. That is when the bands inside the tire shift. That would be a warrantee issue with Michelin.

I have the HFP wheels with the Pilot Super Sports and have had no alignment or tire problems. My only issue with those tires is they are wearing really poorly. I dont think I will get 20k out of them.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'd be willing to bet both those dealerships would have no problem selling a customer a set of 19" HFP's. Shouldn't they be expected to have the appropriate software to do a proper alignment on those same wheels?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
You don't need "19" wheel alignment software" to get the wheels properly aligned. Wheel size has nothing to do with an alignment.

An alignment is based on angles of the wheel. The angle does not change whether the wheel is large or small.

Go get an alignment checked/done by someone who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might try to go to Costco tomorrow so they could rotate the tires, included with installation, and see if that does anything.

Not sure if another dealer would do the alignment under warranty again. This one today was giving me a hard time. I don't want to shell out money for an alignment at some shop and have the problem persist.

Are the big chains any good, ie. Firestone, Just Tires or stick with a smaller shop?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you go and get the tires rotated and the pulls goes away it is a tire issue. Most likely a radial pull like Jaretr1 said, contact Michelin. Because you typically can not see the cause of a radial pull I would contact Michelin about the issue prior to going to your retailer. From experience tire manufacturers will do more for a customer then they will for a tire dealer calling on behalf of a customer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you go and get the tires rotated and the pulls goes away it is a tire issue. Most likely a radial pull like Jaretr1 said, contact Michelin. Because you typically can not see the cause of a radial pull I would contact Michelin about the issue prior to going to your retailer. From experience tire manufacturers will do more for a customer then they will for a tire dealer calling on behalf of a customer.
Definitely having the tires rotated. Here's the print out from Honda.
Text Plan Diagram

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
You migtht have a tire with a radial pull. That is when the bands inside the tire shift. That would be a warrantee issue with Michelin.
Alignment should not be necessary when you are just changing wheels and/or tires because the suspension geometry does not change, unlike when you reduce ride height with shorter springs.

So there is no "19" alignment software", that's just a load of crock IMHO :thumbsdow

First swap your front rims/tires side to side to see if the car pull the other way, if not then swap the rear rims/tires side to side to see if that makes a difference, it's a bit of a pain so you can either do this yourself, or ask the Honda dealer to do it, it should not be difficult to pin-point a tire with belts that have shifted internally, it just takes a bit of common sense and experience on the part of the dealership.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Luuucas,

Its not the issue of 19" software. or tires.

first may i know what tire size are you running now ? i hope you have 235/40

what happened is Honda if FWD cars and any small mess with front caster L or R can lead to car pull either left or right.

when you do alignment use the normal 18" software and then try to loose right front lower arm bolts to adjust the caster in minimal possible.

if this soluation not work. you can buy whatever 3 set camber arms for the rear axle to regain spec by adjusting rear camber, toe and caster.

goodluck

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Luuucas,

Its not the issue of 19" software. or tires.

first may i know what tire size are you running now ? i hope you have 235/40

what happened is Honda if FWD cars and any small mess with front caster L or R can lead to car pull either left or right.

when you do alignment use the normal 18" software and then try to loose right front lower arm bolts to adjust the caster in minimal possible.

if this soluation not work. you can buy whatever 3 set camber arms for the rear axle to regain spec by adjusting rear camber, toe and caster.

goodluck
Can one actually adjust caster in these cars? I was under the impression only camber can be adjusted, typically aftermarket camber plate on the front and aftermarket camber arm set for the rear?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can one actually adjust caster in these cars? I was under the impression only camber can be adjusted, typically aftermarket camber plate on the front and aftermarket camber arm set for the rear?
you cant adjust anything with stock arms. but if we loose the bolts from lower arms and move it slightly in the bushing that can adjust a little only.

but if his car in pulling right thats mean 2 things :

1- front caster
2- rear toe/camber

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Actually I meant only toe can be adjusted, too early in the morning when I was typing.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had Costco rotate the wheels and they said it's the alignment. Just got back from Firestone and they said the alignment is within Honda's specs. I'm going to have Firestone swap on the stock 17s and then I'm going back to Honda. The stock wheels have 130 miles on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts