Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the alignment spec on the 2021 hybrid with 17" wheels? I looked in the manual and it doesn't appear to be there.

The car was purchased brand new, received off of truck, and within a day I noticed the handling feels off compared to the same trimmed accords I test drove to decide on my purchase.

Rear left camber is -2.3 and the rear right is -1.3 which is a whole degree off. These aren't adjustable, so I'm stuck with these numbers

The dealer is saying the left rear camber is close enough to spec, even though it is in red, not to mention it is 1 whole degree off from the rear right. This leads me to believe that potentially there is a bad suspension component or the frame isn't true.

I've searched all over and cannot find the alignment specs, or the tolerance for camber differences side to side. It's a brand new vehicle and wasn't test driven by anyone else, as it was purchased before it arrove to the dealer. I don't think the alignment on a brand new vehicle should be this far off.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Fwiw 9g rear camber spec is -1 with an acceptable range of -0.8 to -1.8. Your RR camber seems to be right on the money but you need an adjustable camber arm for the other side. I fixed my rear camber with SPC 67545 adjustable camber arm. (You need to search for the part number that is compatible with your car.) Took under half an hour per side to do the swap, then I took my car to a mechanic that has an alignment machine (not a chain tire store) and explained that their computer may say rear camber is not adjustable but the vehicle is actually equipped with aftermarket adjustable camber arms bla bla bla.

Long story short; you're not stuck with those numbers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Yes the right rear camber is good, but the left rear is negative 2.3 which is quite a bit of difference from the right rear, and they have confirmed the left rear is out of spec, but "close enough". I'm more concerned as to why it is out of spec from the factory. The car is BRAND new. I would expect to have to go through my own cost putting after market parts to correct the issue if it was a used car, but I bought it new to avoid doing this, as I've had used cars before that require camber bolts etc to get the alignment back to spec.

Are you saying the cross camber spec is 1 degree offset on the rear on your generation?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

Yes the right rear camber is good, but the left rear is negative 2.3 which is quite a bit of difference from the right rear, and they have confirmed the left rear is out of spec, but "close enough". I'm more concerned as to why it is out of spec from the factory. The car is BRAND new. I would expect to have to go through my own cost putting after market parts to correct the issue if it was a used car, but I bought it new to avoid doing this, as I've had used cars before that require camber bolts etc to get the alignment back to spec.

Are you saying the cross camber spec is 1 degree offset on the rear on your generation?
I don't know what the spec is so can't say what's "close enough". I'm posting 9g shop manual page below. Cross-camber should be zero with a tolerance of max half a degree. The one degree difference you have is way out of spec, -2.3 degree camber is way out of spec based on what I know of 9g. I don't know what setup they use in Nascar, but 1 whole entire degree of cross camber is excessive for street use in my opinion. It is safe to disregard everything the dealership says about everything from the beginning of the history of dealerships, they take the path of least resistance and say whatever suits them that day (must be @#$%ng nice living in your own world unbound by the reality that grounds the rest of us).

You are right about this being a brand new car it's none of this is your problem. But where is the readings page? That paper should show some specs. Not always accurate, but a point of reference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have the sheet still as the car is still at the dealer. They have tried aligning it 3 times now to get it to not behave strange on the highway (at first it pulled, and now it trails), and are just aligning different parts of the car to make up for the offset in camber( which is not acceptable to me). I've seen the sheets, but they're with the car at the dealer now. I'll post them when it's done, or I'll take a pic when I go back in to meet with them, but I've asked them to identify the root issue of the left rear camber, as this usually points to a bent suspension component or frame problem.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
330 Posts
I believe the fix to cross camber is to move the entire subframe left or right to correct it. If its a brand new car, it's possible the rear subframe was installed off center in the factory and it slipped past QC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for chiming in. My worry also is that is that its frame or suspension related ( most likely frame alignment since the car is brand new, and hasn't hit anything). The annoying thing is the dealer keeps trying to adjust the tow alignment to offset the issue, rather than diagnose the root of the problem. I'd assume if it is offset on the subframe that this would be an incredibly difficult repair.

I'm currently making them diagnose out what/why it is out of whack, but not getting alot of confidence

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you bought it brand new and it's screwed up take it to corporate. You shouldn't have to spend a penny. Why in the world do you trust the mechanics at a freaking dealer? They're scam artists!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got that right. Oh, I don't trust them, but where else would I take the car without having to pay out of pocket. I did contact corporate yesterday to get the ball rolling on a real resolution since there has not been any movement in the dealer "figuring out the problem"

I should know more within a few weeks once corporate reviews the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to the dealer today as they have said the car us fixed and they did multiple alignments and tweaking to get the rear camber moved around. It's in spec now, but still off from an ideal camber offset, but I drove it off the lot and noticed right away it still pulls to the right (which they had alleviated with one of the first alignments they performed.

The manager didn't believe me when I told him the car still isn't aligned properly and pulls, so he actually drove the vehicle with me in the passenger seat, and right away agreed that the car clearly pulls, regardless of road crown. So the vehicle is back at the dealer, with the service manager now knowing firsthand there is a problem to dig into the diagnosis.

Next up they want to rotate the wheels to see if the car pulls in the opposite direction.

I don't have the first alignment printout that showed the left rear at -2.3 and right rear at -1.3, but this is the printout they supplied today after making several attempts to align the car to spec.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts