Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up, family?
its been a while since i've been on here as avidly as normal! been vacationing and catching up on photo & video work i've conjured up over the last month or so... and by that, i mean procrastinating and sleeping LOL. i'd just like to share one heck of a story for y'all that was... tonight. and most of you all know i type a lot, so get ready, lol.

SO.

on my way home from dinner in hartford tonight (well technically last night, now), i decided to stop and get gas. i get to the closest gas station (was a shell station just off the highway), fill up, go to start the car, and it cranked.............. slowly... and got slower. sounded almost constant and rhythmic at one point.
stopped, took the key out, switched the headlights from "auto" to "off", turned off the radio, waited a few seconds, then tried again. "whir.....whir..... whirrrr..............................................................".
took the key out, waited a few seconds again, then tried to start it. no crank.
i didn’t freak out, which i presume is a good thing when this far from even being remotely eligible for being on the list of “potential worst possible things”. AAA expired last month, but fortunately i have roadside assistance coverage with my insurance (allstate).

i call the number on my roadside assistance card, go through the annoying automated prompts and eventually get in touch with an agent whom i couldn’t hear and then directs me to another agent, which is when i requested service for a jump start. i figured that’s all i needed. i also called my stepdad to come meet me at the gas station. he has an active AAA membership.

remember, i’m stuck at the pump. lol.

an hour later, guy pulls up behind me in a current-gen sentra. walks up beside the car on my side and says “pop the hood for me”. i’m like “..ok.. hello to you too"
mind you, this guy was sent by my insurance company.
no insignia on the car or his clothing stating that he’s roadside assistance or with a tow company or anything. its almost as if they just called some random dude in a pool of mechanics to come out. he was on his phone with earbuds in, chatting away to whoever. but that’s not the point. he seemed like a cool dude but the laxness totally caught me off guard. nonetheless…
guy pulls out a portable battery jumper (something i’ve been meaning to buy) and begins to jump the car with it. gave it a few seconds and he then signaled me to turn the key. turned the key…… no crank. just a click. he immediately suspected that it was the starter. we go through this process of jumping and waiting and starting and suspecting about 5 times. then he pulls his car up next to mine to jump it the “traditional” way. revs his little meep meep 1.8L 4cyl to push more juice to my battery, signals me to turn the key, i turn the key… nothing happens. just a click. he still suspects that its the starter.
i call my dad after this final diagnosis (lol) and fill him in on whats going on and he was just as baffled as i was when i told him that the guy came in a sentra and not a tow truck lol, a bunch of profanity was used and i almost felt bad for not asking for a tow truck from the beginning. but i didn’t think i’d need one, since i initially thought i just needed a jump start :( sigh.. ANYWAY
guy has me sign paperwork basically saying that i authorized the service and blah blah. initials, and signature. done. i ask if i can get a tow truck and he tells me to just call the number back (duh, me) and then he leaves. quick. said he had another service call……..

now, i’m on the phone with allstate again with a tow truck request. a woman answers with a real fine southern accent (atlanta, if i had to guess). i give her all the information she needs, and she says i’ll get a text message with information about the driver and whatnot. when i got off the phone with allstate, i went online to look up how difficult it’d be to replace the starter myself. i was also texting people so i didn’t feel like i was completely alone lol.

20-25 minutes pass by, i get a call back from allstate. the same woman was at the other end of the line, and long story short, she says she couldn’t find anyone that was available and that “ could just leave it there and [they] can have it towed tomorrow". like.. really? i mean, i totally understand that there are other, actually dangerous, situations going on, but… really? its 1am and you can’t find ANYONE (certified by allstate) with a tow truck nearby?

so i told her i’ll just see what i can do with AAA. immediately then, she says “i think i just found someone.” and puts me on hold for 15 minutes, only to come back to the line to say the same damn thing - “i’m sorry, i can’t find anyone with a truck.” so, again, i said, “don’t worry about it, i’ll see what i can do with AAA”. and boyyyyyyyyy the WAY she was quick to get off the phone then….. i didn’t even get a full “bye” it was more of a mumbled “bah”. her accent was SUPER thick when she said it too lol i could tell she was fed up or something. anyway.

after that phone call ended, my stepdad calls AAA, gives the representative all the necessary information required, and a tow truck came in like 20 minutes. now, this shell gas station is really small, and i was parked at the pump on the end at the short side of the station (meaning there wasn’t enough road between me and the curb enough for the flatbed to get in). so i had to push the car back a bit to give the tow driver the room he needed. no big deal. i also learned that it’d be nice to have a person in the car ready to brake while doing this. lmao. no, the car didn’t roll away. it was just weird lol. this is my first time for all of this on my own stick, strangely.

car gets put on the flatbed, i show the tow driver the route to take to get to my honda dealership, which, fortunately is 5min away from that shell gas station. he follows my stepdad and i, and when we pull up, i got out the car to spot out where i’m supposed to drop my car off: the lot at the side of the service garage entrance. lmao. i also found the “early-bird service” box with form-envelope things, so i felt that i was in the right place.

tow driver finds a spot and gets ready to lower the car. i fill out the form –– here’s where i screwed up BAD –– put my key in, seal it, and put it in the mail slot… WHILE THE CAR IS STILL ON THE FLATBED! LOLOLOLOL

tow driver goes to open the driver-side door, realizes that its locked and i say “i already put the key in the thing!” and his reaction had “#BRUH” all over it lmao.

then he calls his buddy, another tow driver (technically i guess he is a “wrecker” driver). once he gets off the phone he grabs the tools needed to get into the car the old fashioned way – but with new-er tools, which were basically a pry tool and a wire hanger on steroids.

starts on the driver front side, but switches to the passenger front side. was only a couple of minutes in before the wrecker driver showed up, and took over. they were both struggling to push the unlock button on the door which is clearly stiff for obvious reasons, so then the wrecker guy tries to unlock it from the lock thing itself, on the handle. took a minute or so because the drugged up wire hanger kept needing to be adjusted, and once i reminded him that the thing needs to be pushed and not pulled, he got it unlocked within seconds. alarm goes off, SUPER LOUD. no police showed up though, surprisingly. fortunately, rather.

the tow driver gets in the car, hops over to the driver seat and does the shift override with a knife. puts the car in neutral and lets it roll off the bed as the winch unravels.

the low beams were flashing with the alarm, and i got worried about my HIDs going on and off like that. so i open the driver-side door and flick the lights off, only to realize that they were already set to off and are flickering regardless because of the alarm. like duh. i think they’ll be ok though.

alarm shuts off after a minute or two, and the car gets put on the ground quickly. tow driver goes back into the car to put it in park, and lock the doors… not to mention that the alarm went off again lol and fortunately, still, no police showed up.

and that was that. i gave him enough cash to get a decent lunch.. or, at this hour, technically breakfast (debatable) lol.

the car is at the dealership, and i’m gonna call them first thing after i take a 4hr nap.. can’t even call it “sleep” at this hour. what sucks is that this is happening the day before a trip. sigh……… hopefully everything will be ok tho.

and this is the story about how a 5-minute fill-up turned into a 4-hour escapade of nonsense.

things taken from this experience:
– always stay cool and patient during situations like this. period, really.
– i now know how to do the “drop-off” at my honda dealership/shop. hopefully i'll never need to do it again.
– i need to renew my AAA membership like yesterday.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Damn! Thanks for sharing. How many miles do you have on the car?

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ugh I hate AAA for exactly the same reasons you wrote about. If something happens, it takes a minimum of an hour for someone to show up and when they do show up, they usually couldn't give a (BOWEL MOVEMENT) about you.

My story is my car battery went flat in a USPS parking lot (relatively high traffic area) and AAA telling me there were no shops in the area who could come out and jump me (lie, there are 3), and a tow truck would've taken 3 hours to get to me (were they coming from another state? Who cares). I ended up finding a helpful Samaritan who had jumper cables in their car and 2 minutes to spare.

I cancelled my membership that day.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Teezy, damn if it weren't for bad luck you'd have none at all.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love AAA.

Saved me many times with many cars..."won't leave home without it"

oh...Wrong Slogan :)

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I love AAA.

Saved me many times with many cars..."won't leave home without it"

oh...Wrong Slogan :)

That's okay you probably need your AMEX card too

·
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
554 Posts
Dang Teezy... Sounds like we both live by Murphy, haha. Seriously though that same thing happened with my Nissan, even the five attempted jumps using my Accord, haha! ... I ended up reading something on a forum about quick turnovers (like moving to a different parking space) could generate bubbles in the fuel lines and essentially block the fluid from catching a spark. I don't know how much I believe that though. Did the "hard start" by giving like half throttle while turning over and it ended up starting. Hasn't happened again. Smelled gas for a minute though. Definitely wouldn't recommend making a habit of it, but it worked.

Hope everything turns out ok!

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
wow long story lol, but I read it all... I would guess alternator / battery problem not starter as it will usually chug with a bad starter but just won't turn over.

Let us know... 8th gen always have shitty battery problems. Glad to see Honda finally put a big battery in my new 9th gen... ironically the battery just showed signs of death on my 8th after 3 years the day before I traded it in... haha.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Jump should have worked with a bad battery. I had a starter go exactly this way once on a Ford.

Depends if there's a bad connection by the battery it could be too much resistance even with a jump

·
Registered
264 Posts
@ infinite012 : how did you get the impression the OP was bashing AAA for their service? I would read the post again, because the OP basically said allstate sucked, and AAA came in 20 mins with a truck..

Soo it sounds like allstates roadside assistance is pretty crappy and they basically wasted your time. Strange the guy's car had no signage and he had no uniform, seems very unprofessional.

I <3 AAA.. I've had to use them numerous times with my older cars and they never took more than 30 minutes to show up.. My 89 trans am was real low and they would use wood blocks so it wouldn't bottom out. Always were professional, quick and made sure to treat my vehicle with care. For like $100 a year, it's definitely worth it. Get towed once by an independent towing company in my area (northern NJ) and you're most likely spending a minimum of $100.

Side story : the other day I'm getting in my car at the convenient store attached to a gas station, and a guy approaches me and asks if I could jump his car. I look over and his suburban was stuck at the pump like the OP was. I was in no rush, and the guy had his hood popped and the jumper cables ready so I said sure. Started right up on the first try, so I removed the cables and said have a nice day. The guy hands me $20 and says thanks but I'm like 'oh no you don't have to man'. Long story short: he refused to take his $20 back, made me take the money lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had a starter go exactly this way once on a Ford.
I can write at least 50 breakdown stories about my Ford Focus. :frown

I lucked out on one though, I was pulling into my mechanic for some other service, when the thermostat stuck and blew off the bottom radiator hose as I was pulling up to drop off the key. A 2 for 2.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Everyone should carry a jump pack in their trunk. They take little space and can handle dozens of jumps on a single charge....and one day you might look like a hero to a attractive female coworker with a dead battery :)

I also carry a 12V pump, duct tape, twine, and a few other things that would be useful in hacking together a roadside repair.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow so many replies haha

So, great news! Well, actually, I'll start with the bad news.

My service advisor called me around 8:15 this morning to fill me in on what he found out about the car. Turns out that the starter did go kaput :( said the part cost $660 and the overall charge would be about $715.

Sidenote: I paid my credit card off in FULL a few days ago, so knowing that I was about to – or so I thought – put a $715 charge on it, hurt.

I told him I'd call him back in a few minutes, because I needed to process everything, LOL. I also contacted my dad and updated him. I needed the work done ASAP because I had work at noon and I had to get on the road to get to New Jersey as soon as I got off work to attempt to beat traffic (this ultimately failed, as my typical ~95min commute turned into a ~160min commute), so I set aside my pride and called my service advisor back and gave him the OK to get the work done. Said it'll take a few hours.

So I'm in and out of sleep, hoping to not wake up to a missed call from Sean (my service advisor). Around 11:20am, he calls back and tells me the car is ready. My stepdad brings me to the shop, and on the way, my DAD is rage-texting me because he was just as upset that I was gonna be charged so much money for something I "could've" done myself for a lot less (if it was any other day but today though).

I know what you're thinking. Its about the warranty. Keep reading, lol.

The good news... I get to the shop, almost immediately run into Sean and he has the bill/paperwork ready for me to sign. Before I even looked at the paperwork, I said "would my warranty cover it?" and he said "starters are often covered by warranty". Fortunately I'm still under my extended warranty.. so I went to the car (parked outside the garage) to fish for the warranty papers in the glovebox, gave them to Sean and he said "I'll take it from here".

I go to sit in the waiting area, and Sean comes back a few minutes later and I swear I was the happiest I've ever been in the last never for a good 5 seconds when he said "all you've gotta pay is the $100 deductible; your warranty covers everything". If $100 to $715 doesn't mean much to you, then forgive me for being so happy about this lol!! Pretty much walked in and out, made it to work (albeit 90min late lol) and hit traffic........... sucks, but everything, overall, could've been a LOT worse. And I'm glad everything is ok with myself and Nina lol.

Also, thank you guys for sharing your sentiments!! I really appreciate it! #DriveOn!! :cool: :thmsup:

btw, I'm definitely gonna have to invest in a portable jump start. I was looking them up a while ago but never pulled the trigger on one. Any suggestions on one in particular?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts