Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day i noticed my oil light came on and after pulling off the road and doing a quick inspection I noticed all the oil had poured out. I have narrowed it down to either the crank shaft seal or balance shaft seal. I wont have time to work on it until after the new year, but I want to buy what I need now.
I will be replacing the timing belt and water pump while I am at it. Besides the two seals I think it might be, is there anywhere else under the timing belt covers that oil could be coming from?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Im guessing this is a 4 cyl, so technically the camshaft seal is also behind the cover, but the other two seals would be the primary leak suspects.
I presume the engine is still ok following the loss of oil. It would be unfortunate to replace all the parts and then discover the rods are knocking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im guessing this is a 4 cyl, so technically the camshaft seal is also behind the cover, but the other two seals would be the primary leak suspects.
I presume the engine is still ok following the loss of oil. It would be unfortunate to replace all the parts and then discover the rods are knocking.
Yes it is a 4 cyl.
I think the engine is ok. i\I probably drove 2 miles with the oil light on and I didn't hear any noises. It would definitely be a shame to go though all his work just to find out the engine is messed up. Do you think it would be a good idea to keep pouring oil in the engine while its running to see if there are any noises?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If the engine sounded normal when you last shut it off, its probably ok. I would certainly fill it with oil before restarting it again. Was the oil level below the dipstick or did you just get an oil pressure light with the level ok?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the engine sounded normal when you last shut it off, its probably ok. I would certainly fill it with oil before restarting it again. Was the oil level below the dipstick or did you just get an oil pressure light with the level ok?
I was not to far from my house when all the oil poured out. I filled it right up before I left the gas station and barley got a reading on the dip stick. The oil was literally pouring out while I was pouring it in the engine. I was about 2 mins from my house when the oil light came back on. I parked the car in my underground spot and when I came back out to look at it, all the oil was on the ground again.
The engine sounded normal the whole time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts