Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am looking to buy new all-season tires for my '08 4dr EX. Any suggestions?
I drive about 15k miles per year on my all-seasons (the rest on winter tires).
I drove thru two sets of Michelin Pilot MXM4 (original), but found the ride a little rough. Loved the handling, though.

Here is what I'm looking at:
- Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
- Toyo Extensa HP or A/S
- Yokohama Avid Envigor

Anyone have any experience with these on our cars? What do you recommend?

Ironically, JudgeTREDD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Judge -
I have Toyo Extenza HP's on my EX-L. Nice tires, quiet and handle well.
I also have Continental ContiPro on my Taurus - Very good as well.

·
Banned
438 Posts
B F goodrich touring, look into it perform well and reasonable price.
Look up tire rack.com for reviews and ideas.
Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello all!

I drove thru two sets of Michelin Pilot MXM4 (original), but found the ride a little rough. Loved the handling, though.

Here is what I'm looking at:
- Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
- Toyo Extensa HP or A/S
- Yokohama Avid Envigor

Anyone have any experience with these on our cars? What do you recommend?

Ironically, JudgeTREDD
I've got the Michelins on my new Accord, but the best all-season tires I've ever had especially on ice and snow are Goodyear Triple-Treads. I've had 4-5 sets of them on various cars. No need for snow tires and they give an easy 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with coupe7 regarding the use of Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com has a lot of great info on all the major tires in the market today. There's a several month delay in the survey info when new tires come out. Also look at the reviews that they post comparing tires between the major tire companies.

Coming from a guy that works for a tire company, buy the best tire you can afford. That doesn't mean buy the most expensive tire you can afford. There are some tires that are overpriced, which is why it's important to check them on Tirerack.

B F goodrich touring, look into it perform well and reasonable price.
Look up tire rack.com for reviews and ideas.
Good luck.

·
1,655 Posts
I really liked the EnVigors but found them to wear fast - about 40,000 miles if I wore them to 2/32".

I only have 500 miles on the Conti PureContact EcoPlus but they're a great daily driver, and I run winter tires as well. They're my spouse's tire and she's really happy thus far.

I have 215/50-17s on my '04 and I really like the Nitto Motrivo. Less of an all-season, but if you're running winter tires, may want to look at those if they're in your size.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello all!

<< SNIP >>

What do you recommend?

Ironically, JudgeTREDD
Since you have dedicated winter tires, I would recommend that you don't get all-seasons. All-seasons compromise both performance and wet traction in order to achieve some (small) level of winter traction. They are rather noisy too because of the tread patterns they have to use.

I'd like to recommend you look into plush 3-season (i.e. 'summer') tires.

Your tire size is 225/50-17. The Michelin Primacy HP is available in your size, and is a good grand touring summer tire. TireRack is having a sale on some Audi-spec tires of this type for about $139 per tire, a real steal for otherwise expensive tires. Ignore the complaints from the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ drivers -- they bought a car designed to drift, i.e. intentional oversteer, and expected grip. Um, hello, drift car. The issue is more the suspension setup than the tire. Alternatively there is also an H-speed rated version with a 45000 mile warranty. This will be a comfortable tire with better wet and dry performance, decent tread life, and less noise than the all-seasons you've been running.

Less expensive and also with a good ride quality is the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. Among UHP tires, noted for its comfortable ride, low noise, and good grip.

The newer BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 has a little better performance than the Potenza at the cost of a little more noise and a little less comfort in the ride. It costs less but is a pound heavier than the Potenza. I don't think the price differential is very significant. It has very good wet performance. If you are very price sensitive the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 is a comfortable tire at a cheap price, but it won't perform as well as the Potenza or g-Force tires.

My recommendation would be the Primacy HP first, or the RE760 second.

Don't get too hung up on treadwear ratings. Often the plush summer tires will have less treadwear but also cost less over time, and hard compounds will impact comfort, grip and noise levels. Find a good quality relatively (everything relative to wants) inexpensive summer tire and stick with it. If you insist on all-seasons, I'd say to take a look at the Michelin Pilot AS/3 that is getting ready to come out this summer, or the Nitto Motivo that is out now, but I really think that you should stay away from all-seasons when you have dedicated winter tires. I know I'm going to do so, I'm planning on switching over to summer tires as soon as I have made a choice on some aftermarket wheels to plant them on.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
I don't need tires currently but if I had to buy some, they would be the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. I don't value absolute performance as much as I do a smooth, quiet ride. These do it better than anyone else. Check the review out on tire rack.

If you want summer tires that do all the above and have great grip, Michelin pilot super sports all the way, but they're also priced accordingly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts