Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'07 SE A/T V6 @200K. Her name is Babe, My Babe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, gals, apache helicopters and distinguished guests!

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, just not sure were to post a general question.
Here is my dilema, I have my babe which I got in January, the reason why I opened an account here and for what I know, a very reliable brand.
on the other side in the garage, I have an MK4 VR6 Jetta. As some of you might know, comes in the GLI pkg, so it is fully loaded, and it has a 6spd manual.

both cars need TLC, I posted about babe(The honda) what it needed and what I wished for it and I think I would be very happy with it, even if it was AUTO.

the Jetta on the other hand, being the VR6 beauty, not only things are overpriced, car itself wouldn't pass inspection until repairs are complete(of course that f*&cker is sitting on jackstands right now, waiting on rotors and brake pads for it as well). There are other things I must replace in order for me to have inner peace, such as a steering knucle, windshield, ign coils and sparkplugs, car has 140k and uses timing chain, which somehow people still recomments changing it every 100K... also, there is a pretty crappy hole in the bell housing in the transmission, of course I JB welded it and it has held on for a while now, I know it is a time bomb. while I like learning and working on new things, I do not have the tools or time to pull a transmission out and rip it apart to get the housing patched by a welder. A shop would charge 950 just to take it off the vehicle.

Now that you know, What would you do?...

Would you proceed and stick to the auto honda, add some nice gadgets and few performance parts? the car as it is pulls 244HP (so Honda says)?

Or,

Would you take the highway with the Euro life?

The catch is: A sacrifice must be made and one of the vehicles must be sold

Any input is always welcome

·
Elvira
3,537 Posts
IMHO I, me, myself would do the following....

Get the Jetta off the blocks. Seeing it like that and thinking about ALL that needs to be done to pass inspection is a negative thought inducer.
Sell it.
Take the Honda AUTO which appears to be of some disdain cause it's not a manual
Sell IT.

Find an Accord 6-6 coupe and put your $$$ toward that.

Do a Marie Kondo on your garage

Simplify man, simplify !!!

Thanks for recognizing the Apache Helicopter community !!!!

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
963 Posts
As much as I love Honda, and would choose the Honda over a VW with all else being equal, I'd be more likely to choose the car that you've owned for a while over something you just purchased. Even if you have the full service history for the new car (the Accord), you don't really know if there are any ongoing issues with it just yet. There may be, there may not be. Plus, with it being new-to-you, there may be some of the said problems that the previous owner temporarily covered up to make a sale. You won't know until later, and those could be costly and major.

Honestly, it sounds like your Jetta's in really bad shape, so if you haven't had a mechanic independently inspect the Accord yet, I'd have one take a look at it before selling either one. Compare the total repair costs of any findings to the total repair costs of the Jetta.

And you could always do what Mike mentioned- sell both and put those funds towards something else (in good shape and with its maintenance done). If you do end up going that route, any 4 cylinder Accord 2003 or later will have a timing chain, so you could cross the timing belt job off your list and save yourself some cash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of selling both for a manual, didn't even think about it in that way! I won't be the happiest with auto, but it isn't a deal breaker, the honda's check engine light is due to a low flow purge p0496(i think it is the code), i replaced canister and gas cap, of course neither fixed the issue, other than that, the honda seems in really good shape, being it 200k, I am of course looking to replace and service weareable parts, adding a few gadgets and make it "my home" lol

thing is.. everytime I sit on those leather seats and hold on to that six speed shifter(because the car does drive, just not now : D) and listen to that monsoon sound system, I get sucked by it's enchants, i feel like if the honda was the ex-l trim (i think it is that one, with leather, manual and navi), the decision would be very clear

Here is a pic of both of my babes

Attachments

·
Elvira
3,537 Posts
funny thing - you posted the Accord babe photo first Hmmmmm!

QUICK

Which one do you think of FIRST ? GO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funny thing - you posted the Accord babe photo first Hmmmmm!

QUICK

Which one do you think of FIRST ? GO
LOL, yes indeed ! The accord does take more of my mind than the Jetta, I really think it is just the stigma, you know, euro, leather and "premium" feeling, I guess I could always make sure babe is good mechanically and then get some leather stitched on her.. I would hate to sell her because even-though I got it literally 6 months ago, I was going through some things and I kept busy working on her rather than the Jetta.. so it's kind of a bond..seeing her go would hurt

·
Elvira
3,537 Posts
Your post says it all my friend. You've already made the choice.

I get the emotional bond with the Accord, so Katzkins seems popular around here.

Reactions: German425

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your post says it all my friend. You've already made the choice.

I get the emotional bond with the Accord, so Katzkins seems popular around here.

The nearest distribuitor is down in Syracuse, :notbad: , I will keep them in mind when I am ready to get some leather in it :D

·
8th Gen Believer
4,135 Posts
Keep the Accord, knowing that it will need some work with 200k miles. That generation of Accord has some bad ATs, I had one. Are you up to rebuilding the tranny? You may find leather seats in a boneyard, most of them have their inventory online. My best buddy had a VW Passat, early 2000s model. It was a massive dud. He couldn't even get parts for it. Frankly, neither car comes off really good to me.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,239 Posts
The Honda will be more reliable, and the MK4 Jetta is UUUGGLLYYYY. If it was an MK3, I'd be all for you keeping it regardless (almost) of condition.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
By 07 the trans. problems had been solved. I would switch to a real synthetic trans. fluid such as Amsoil & do 4 d/f's driving couple hundred miles in-between ea. one. The syn. fluid will be more of a benefit to the trans. as it sounds like you are on the Canadian border. As far as the timing chain, inspect the plastic guides for wear & buy a new tensioner. If the previous owner didn't change the oil on time or ran on low oil both would cause the chain to stretch.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
963 Posts
I had maintenance done last Thursday, and the car in front of me at the dealership was a 4 cylinder 2006 or 2007 Accord (triangle taillights) and I overhead that it needed a new transmission because the current one was beginning to fail. So, while the frequency of transmission problems may have been reduced by then, it really depends on the service history pertaining to the individual transmission itself. Any transmission can fail if not cared for.

Also, in reference to the post above, your 2007 V6 has a timing belt instead of a chain. When I mentioned the chain earlier, that was a hypothetical scenario where you sell the V6 for a 4 cylinder model instead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I did a VIN check(which I know they don't tend to be accurate, car came clean.. a reason to believe why the car used to be an older champ's car is because the original manual with his name on it the sale sticker, and things a younger person would have gotten rid of, were still in the glove box...

You can easily spot the parts that were replaced within last year of when I bought it which was compressor and the starter, I replaced thesteering pump,serpentine belt, alternator and tensioner, front lower control arms and bushings..

I am the car's third owner, a second owner had it for about 4 months before I bought it, I had the paperwork from him too, basically he bought it, from the old champ, realized he could not pass inspection, parked it at a friend's house, his friend got tired of having it parked, and put it for sale, i got it for 1000.

I loved finding these in the glove box, it did seem that Mr Robert took care of it while he had it, and maybe he just wanted something better, or smalle, who knows..

Attachments

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
376 Posts
Low purge flow is probably a bad solenoid, it's the part attached to the side of the manifold behind the throttle body. It's super simple to replace, I just replaced mine with one off a junk car. As for the transmission, it's far from bulletproof, but by 2006 most of the problems were resolved. Frequent (15k) fluid changes should make it last well over 200k. That said, the opportunity to sell both and grab a 6-6 Accord is probably the best choice, if you can find one in good shape.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Low purge flow is probably a bad solenoid, it's the part attached to the side of the manifold behind the throttle body. It's super simple to replace, I just replaced mine with one off a junk car. As for the transmission, it's far from bulletproof, but by 2006 most of the problems were resolved. Frequent (15k) fluid changes should make it last well over 200k. That said, the opportunity to sell both and grab a 6-6 Accord is probably the best choice, if you can find one in good shape.
Thanks for the info!.. I'll try that solution next, when I get back from this damn field exercise :(

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I had maintenance done last Thursday, and the car in front of me at the dealership was a 4 cylinder 2006 or 2007 Accord (triangle taillights) and I overhead that it needed a new transmission because the current one was beginning to fail. So, while the frequency of transmission problems may have been reduced by then, it really depends on the service history pertaining to the individual transmission itself. Any transmission can fail if not cared for.

Also, in reference to the post above, your 2007 V6 has a timing belt instead of a chain. When I mentioned the chain earlier, that was a hypothetical scenario where you sell the V6 for a 4 cylinder model instead.
Missed that about the car having a timing belt - Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this what you were talking about?
because I replaced it already :/

As for the transmission fluid change, this should be the right thing, right?(i got qty of 3 for the 4 pack of fluid)

Attachments

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
963 Posts
Given the numerous reports of counterfeit parts on Amazon, I would play it extra safe and buy it from a Honda dealership or other Honda parts source.
But maybe that's just me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts