Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

Registered
'07 SE A/T V6 @200K. Her name is Babe, My Babe
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Given the numerous reports of counterfeit parts on Amazon, I would play it extra safe and buy it from a Honda dealership or other Honda parts source.
But maybe that's just me.
Fair enough!.. So with that and given counterfeit products on the rise.. in one of the other posts I had, somebody(i think NailGrease did) threw the possibility of switching to full syntethic( he mentioned Valvoline MaxLife ATF).. have you tried that?.. I mean if I was to mess up my transmission, I'd rather be because of my dumb decisions and not because some j----rk sold me counterfeit, no?

Gearhead Girl 馃
I have not tried MaxLife and I am unlikely to ever switch from DW-1. With that being said, it seems on the forum that IF you're going to switch transmission fluids away from DW-1, MaxLife would be the one to choose. But given that your car has 200k miles, if you happen to know what kind of transmission fluid is in it right now, I'd probably just keep using that. When in doubt, you can't go wrong with the manufacturer spec.

However, I am big on staying OEM. A bonehead dealership botched my maintenance and flushed my transmission without my permission (I requested just a drain and fill), and my only little bit of comfort came from seeing that they used DW-1. I even contacted Honda about it, and they said that as long as DW-1 was used, it should be okay. So, in most cases, I see no reason to move away from OEM, unless cost is a concern, and the savings would be substantial.

But again, I'm quite particular.

Registered
'07 SE A/T V6 @200K. Her name is Babe, My Babe
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have not tried MaxLife and I am unlikely to ever switch from DW-1. With that being said, it seems on the forum that IF you're going to switch transmission fluids away from DW-1, MaxLife would be the one to choose. But given that your car has 200k miles, if you happen to know what kind of transmission fluid is in it right now, I'd probably just keep using that. When in doubt, you can't go wrong with the manufacturer spec.

However, I am big on staying OEM. A bonehead dealership botched my maintenance and flushed my transmission without my permission (I requested just a drain and fill), and my only little bit of comfort came from seeing that they used DW-1. I even contacted Honda about it, and they said that as long as DW-1 was used, it should be okay. So, in most cases, I see no reason to move away from OEM, unless cost is a concern, and the savings would be substantial.

But again, I'm quite particular.
I will just stick to DW-1 (x3) until I am more comfortable with the transmission, in all honesty, i wouldn't know if the old man changed it or not, same with the belt.. both are high priority for me as my car jerks when I am going 35-40, in which I read it could be a damaged torque converter, or it was in need of the 3x drain

21 - 23 of 23 Posts