Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Race to the speed limit
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a whine on cold start last night. After 2-3 minutes of driving it didn't go away, so it's not that "normal" PS whine.
Also saw that my voltmeter was reading low, 13.6-13.7 instead of the usual 14.0-13.9

With a 3/8" extension as a stethoscope, the whine comes from the alternator.

I noticed the bolts (31145-PGK-A01) that secure the alternator casing together are completely loose.
Upon tightening, the whine goes away.
After a few minutes of light driving, the whine comes back, the bolts are loose again.

Has anyone had this issue?

I'm due for an alternator replacement anyways (leaking rocker arm solenoid gasket had oil spilling into my alternator for two weeks before I figured out and fixed that gasket issue) but I still need to drive until I can get a replacement.
Probably going to try some threadlocker and see if that works. (It won't work because the through-holes have stripped.)

Also, any recommendations for replacement? I'm thinking of going with the reman Denso 210-0645, but a bit confused on 110A vs 130A. Searching the forum gives me results of users saying the stock output is 130A, the service manual specifies 110A.

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,292 Posts
never go reman. Literally it's like rolling the dice.

some get lucky and save money doing it. others get the other half of the coin and they need to replace it all over again.

Buy cheap buy twice. one of the most important sayings I can think of.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
I bought a used OEM alternator off a crashed car with just 54k miles on it via ebay for just $50, then installed a new $10 OEM brush. This was on my 07 Accord V6, you can do the same with any car this way, to get OEM parts.

·
Race to the speed limit
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
never go reman. Literally it's like rolling the dice.

some get lucky and save money doing it. others get the other half of the coin and they need to replace it all over again.

Buy cheap buy twice. one of the most important sayings I can think of.
New direct from Honda is $532. The same part from HondaPartsNow, BernardiParts, and CollegeHillsHonda is much lower. Suspiciously so. Could the cheaper parts actually be remans or are they actually "new"?

I bought a used OEM alternator off a crashed car with just 54k miles on it via ebay for just $50, then installed a new $10 OEM brush. This was on my 07 Accord V6, you can do the same with any car this way, to get OEM parts.
I may go this route but uneasy with buying a used alternator off some crashed car on eBay for $100 and replacing parts IF I can buy a new alternator for $400. What parts would I replace? I'm hoping it's not the $250 rotor or the $300 stator... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
There is nothing wrong with parts off a nearly new crashed car, obviously check the pictures and make sure the front end isn't smashed in all the way. And check for warranty on the parts with the vendor. This vendor I bought off of has a 30-day return guarantee. If it's a bad alternator, you find out very fast. I have been using this alternator for 4 years with zero issue. If you'd like to spend $500 on a brand new alternator, you can go that route, it's your money.

·
Cruzing Through Life!
437 Posts
New direct from Honda is $532. The same part from HondaPartsNow, BernardiParts, and CollegeHillsHonda is much lower. Suspiciously so. Could the cheaper parts actually be remans or are they actually "new"?

I may go this route but uneasy with buying a used alternator off some crashed car on eBay for $100 and replacing parts IF I can buy a new alternator for $400. What parts would I replace? I'm hoping it's not the $250 rotor or the $300 stator... :eek:
I see your in Florida...Not sure where but if it’s central, I took mine to an electric shop in Titusville, completely rebuilt for $100...it took him about four hours. Bearings, diodes etc...he even cleaned and painted it. It looked brand new.
He does alternators and starters. Find that kind of shop if this one is too far away for you.

Willy, click on the link below and go to post 15 where I posted links videos of my bad and rebuilt alternator...good luck!
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/5...uspecting-my-alternator-failed-see-video.html

Reactions: WILLYumD

·
Cruzing Through Life!
437 Posts
Got a whine on cold start last night. After 2-3 minutes of driving it didn't go away, so it's not that "normal" PS whine.
Also saw that my voltmeter was reading low, 13.6-13.7 instead of the usual 14.0-13.9

With a 3/8" extension as a stethoscope, the whine comes from the alternator.

I noticed the bolts (31145-PGK-A01) that secure the alternator casing together are completely loose.
Upon tightening, the whine goes away.
After a few minutes of light driving, the whine comes back, the bolts are loose again.

Has anyone had this issue?

I'm due for an alternator replacement anyways (leaking rocker arm solenoid gasket had oil spilling into my alternator for two weeks before I figured out and fixed that gasket issue) but I still need to drive until I can get a replacement.
Probably going to try some threadlocker and see if that works. (It won't work because the through-holes have stripped.)

Also, any recommendations for replacement? I'm thinking of going with the reman Denso 210-0645, but a bit confused on 110A vs 130A. Searching the forum gives me results of users saying the stock output is 130A, the service manual specifies 110A.
Any updates?

·
Race to the speed limit
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any updates?
I retightened the bolts and put some threadlocker and a hint of Hondabond on the through-hole side and the bolt head. Everything is snug and my alternator seems to be running normal for now, normal voltage, no more whining.

I am getting some weeping from the rocker arm solenoid gasket so I have to fix that again before I get a new/rebuilt alternator.

I am still debating dropping $370 for a brand new alternator from Bernardi, or doing what t-rd and you suggested with a rebuild. I've asked around and searched, it seems there's only two shops in my area that'd do this work and they don't have many reviews for alternator repair.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Buy a used OEM alternator and replace the brushes, sounds like a plan to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Race to the speed limit
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is an OEM alternator, off a 08 V6 Accord with just 17000 miles. It's practically new. LKQ comes with a 6 months parts only warranty. It's only $65, you can't lose. What I did also when I got my used OEM alternator was that I took it to Auto Zone and had it tested also, before I put it in the car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Honda...ash=item48a708e9c0:g:EiQAAOSwLwBaUC8d&vxp=mtr
Legendary! Thank you! I'm gonna nab this and fix my gasket leak this weekend.
Probably going to put some threadlocker in to prevent the bolt issue from happening again lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts