Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Honda Accord I recently replaced my alternator 3 times it has went out yet again they last about a month and a half, not only has it killed each alternator 1 used and 2 New I've changed the belt, battery and tensioner. Could I just have a faulty alternator provider (O'Reillys) should I just stick with Honda branded alternators? Please help this is getting really annoying.

·
HK Moderator
13,609 Posts
Hopefully, you will search the forum and learn about aftermarket alternators. You may also learn how to test your alternator with a simple $5 multi-meter, as well as the basics such as testing connections. You will also see that an often asked question is "How are you determining that your alternator is not charging, or charging adequately? Lastly, you will see that if you have any aftermarket equipment (alarm, sound system, etc), you should mention it. Good luck.

EDIT: Hey, here is one thread, look at post #15 from @greg1c

All I did was Google:
DriveAccord.net 8th Gen how to determine if alternator is bad?

You can also Google:
DriveAccord.net 8th Gen aftermarket alternator or OEM?
...and you will learn to just have your existing Honda alternator re-built at a local shop for less money than getting a "new" alternator from China with hit or miss longevity and reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tested it with a multimeter and verified power and ground also confirmed that voltage of battery stayed at 12.65v and did not increase only decrease. This is how I determined that it is bad. I am thinking that O'reilly's is not a good place to get alternators from, at least the one in Orangeburg, SC

·
AC6DN
1,519 Posts
Are you running any high power stuff in your car? I had trouble with 2001 accord, when I had to replace mine. I eventually, had my local quality alternator repair place, fix it. Next choice, was buying a real Honda part.
The bottom line, was cheap Chinese parts are hitting market....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you running any high power stuff in your car? I had trouble with 2001 accord, when I had to replace mine. I eventually, had my local quality alternator repair place, fix it. Next choice, was buying a real Honda part.
The bottom line, was cheap Chinese parts are hitting market....
Thanks man I think that's the cause as well, I will just replace with Honda Parts.

No high power things everything is factory its just not holding charge at all.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Never buy a starter or alternator from Autozone, O'Reilly's or any other parts house. Find a shop that rebuilds starters and alternators near you and pay the $80 to have them rebuild it for you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If there's one thing I have heard repeatedly over the years is to replace the alternator and starter with OEM parts (or rebuild). Just too much trouble with longevity with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
If there's one thing I have heard repeatedly over the years is to replace the alternator and starter with OEM parts (or rebuild). Just too much trouble with longevity with aftermarket parts.
That's actually not necessary. The starters and alternators you get in parts houses may or may not have been rebuilt completely. If the brushes were shot they they might new brushes but not new bearings and vise versa.

30+ years ago I was having issues with a Sears Diehard battery and the Sears automotive guys would just put me a new battery. After about 3-4 of them they sent me to a local guy that supplied the Sears shop with starters and alternators. Turned out I needed a voltage regulator and this guy figured it out. While I was waiting for him to figure it out I watched his assistant rebuild about 20 alternators and starters and he told me they were for Sears.

Ever since then I never buy from a parts store. I look around and find a shop that rebuilds them. That way you get new brushes, bearings/bushings and whatever other wear parts that should be replaced. I've never had an issue with a rebuild.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's actually not necessary. The starters and alternators you get in parts houses may or may not have been rebuilt completely. If the brushes were shot they they might new brushes but not new bearings and vise versa.

30+ years ago I was having issues with a Sears Diehard battery and the Sears automotive guys would just put me a new battery. After about 3-4 of them they sent me to a local guy that supplied the Sears shop with starters and alternators. Turned out I needed a voltage regulator and this guy figured it out. While I was waiting for him to figure it out I watched his assistant rebuild about 20 alternators and starters and he told me they were for Sears.

Ever since then I never buy from a parts store. I look around and find a shop that rebuilds them. That way you get new brushes, bearings/bushings and whatever other wear parts that should be replaced. I've never had an issue with a rebuild.
Totally agree and I plan on carrying out a rebuild of these parts if I ever need them from now on. I guess my comment was more to those less inclined to looking into rebuilding and just go to a non-OEM parts store instead.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Totally agree and I plan on carrying out a rebuild of these parts if I ever need them from now on. I guess my comment was more to those less inclined to looking into rebuilding and just go to a non-OEM parts store instead.
Funny thing. About a year or so ago the rectifier on my alternator fried. I dropped the alternator off at the local rebuild shop and for the hell of it ran over to the UPullandPay and picked up a used alternator for $30. The rebuild ended up costing $100 or so and is still sitting on the shelf in the garage. The used one is going strong. Turns out I didn't even need to rebuild the one I had.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny thing. About a year or so ago the rectifier on my alternator fried. I dropped the alternator off at the local rebuild shop and for the hell of it ran over to the UPullandPay and picked up a used alternator for $30. The rebuild ended up costing $100 or so and is still sitting on the shelf in the garage. The used one is going strong. Turns out I didn't even need to rebuild the one I had.
I did just that with the starter on my Corolla! I was planning to bring it in to have it rebuilt but then thought to call the local upull. Got one off a car with 50k less miles, for C$55. Had to give the core back though, but it works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts