Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My alternator mounting bracket snapped in half the other day (V6). I replaced it, but I'm thinking it broke because around 1,000 miles earlier I tightened up the lower alternator bolt to reduce belt squeal. I'm assuming I tightened it up beyond the 33 lbs of torque recommended by Honda which caused excessive vibration to the alternator bracket. So I'm trying to do it "correct" this time with a torque wrench but there's no way to fit one in there! The only tool I can fit down there is an off end box wrench. How can I get the torque correct on this bolt, anyone?

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
117 Posts
What I've done, and it's hard, but I Now RARELY break the heads off bolts anymore, is, I get a bolt, same size, and practice a bunch of times.. tTryry to get a feel for it. Then I go for it. Works in a pinch!
Aloha🤙🤙🤙🤙

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Been there done that, it is not because you tighten the bottom bolt to tight. Did you break the bottom bolt? My guess is you put the Alternator in a bind and broke the top bracket because the alternator was not lined up properly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Are you referring to #1 on this image?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you referring to #1 on this image?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I replaced part #1 but the bolt I'm referring to is #16. It is on the bottom of the alternator. It has a long thread so its easy to keep on tightening it.

Been there done that, it is not because you tighten the bottom bolt to tight. Did you break the bottom bolt? My guess is you put the Alternator in a bind and broke the top bracket because the alternator was not lined up properly.

No I didn't break it.

The belt began to squeal some so I tried tightening the bolt. It helped the noise a bit, but within 1,000 miles or less the bracket snapped in half. Driving down the road the electronics went wonky so I pull over to check and the alternator is hanging by one bolt (the bottom one). Somehow the belt was able to intermittently drive the alternator even though a toddler could have pulled it off it was so loose.

My thought process is that an overtightened bolt would reduce the belt deflection and put a strong sheering force on the bracket. Regardless I'd just like to get it torqued to spec just wondering if there's a special tool to do so....

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I replaced part #1 but the bolt I'm referring to is #16. It is on the bottom of the alternator. It has a long thread so its easy to keep on tightening it.

No I didn't break it.

The belt began to squeal some so I tried tightening the bolt. It helped the noise a bit, but within 1,000 miles or less the bracket snapped in half. Driving down the road the electronics went wonky so I pull over to check and the alternator is hanging by one bolt (the bottom one). Somehow the belt was able to intermittently drive the alternator even though a toddler could have pulled it off it was so loose.

My thought process is that an overtightened bolt would reduce the belt deflection and put a strong sheering force on the bracket. Regardless I'd just like to get it torqued to spec just wondering if there's a special tool to do so....
You will need an extension and with the extension you will have to calculate what Tourqe to set with that extension.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help anyway guys I decided to just give up. I bought a set of wobble extenders but there's just no way I could find to get the bolt to turn without the socket slipping off. No room at all for a deeper socket and while trying to turn the nut was actually scraping up on the tensioner -- decided I didn't want to risk gouging that up and causing premature belt wear. With a significant amount of effort I managed to get a crow foot wrench on it but could only do a fifth of a turn at best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts