Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a write-up on how I rebuilt my alternator for a 2007 Accord 4CYL (including brushes and front and rear bearings). Replacing the rear bearing is a bugger, but replacing the brushes and front bearing are both pretty straightforward.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions on how to remove the rear bearing without using a blind puller as I used.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
The 8G service manual only includes instructions for replacing the front bearing and inspecting the brushes and slip rings. It treats the rear as an "assembly" to be replaced as one piece.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Excellent write-up! I work in technical publications and I know all the hard work that it takes to write something like this. Yours have nice illustrative pictures and short, clear, and easy explanations, good tips too.

Thank you very much.

·
2020 CBP Touring
688 Posts
Excellent write up indeed.

·
RoopsPhoto.com
202 Posts
Love the writeup. Do you have a parts list to order the parts? Did you use OEM parts or aftermarket?

I have a 4 cylinder 2003 model.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comment! I used all OEM replacement parts from Majestic (Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store).

You can look up the replacement part numbers easily on the Majestic website for your particular model/year (in case it is different). For my 2007, the part numbers were:

31105-RAA-A01 Brush Assembly
31114-PGK-A01 Front Bearing
31111-PT0-003 Rear Bearing

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
I came up with an alternative for a full rebuild if you want to open up the entire alternator. I recently purchased a brand new brush from Honda for about $10 picked up. I then purchased a used 07 Accord V6 alternator from ebay for $50. The alternator came off a V6 with only 57000 miles on it so the alternator is practically new. So I spent just $60 for an OEM alternator in tip top condition. Swapped it out this morning and I'm at 14.2 volts again as oppose to 13.9 / 14.0 on my old one which had 203000 miles on it.

The rear bearing on my old one seems grimy and gritty. I will rebuild it as a backup.

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
Right one is the brush that came with the used alternator, left one is the brush at 203000 miles, it has about 2mm left. Service limit is 1.5mm. Of course, I stripped a screw while trying to get the brush out, had to hammer a flat head bit into the screw to get it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
John, do you still have the old bearings to this alternator? I'm trying to find the sizes (or part numbers) of the bearings so I can buy them and replace them with quality bearings.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Chris, No, unfortunately I tossed them. So do you mean you want to replace them with something better than the OEM bearings (which are readily available)? It seems like the OEM bearings hold up pretty well.

Thanks Bob!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I was going to look into it but I swapped my reman alt for another and it didn't affect my sound. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well done.

You're perfectly correct about the mounting of new bearings by not letting the press load go through the balls.

Thoughtless hammering of new bearings is a near guarantee of early failure and repeat business for the mechanic.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Are these the only 3 parts of this alternator that go bad and/or can be serviced?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty much. The brushes will wear in normal use and eventually the front/rear bearings can wear out. I suppose it is possible, though probably highly unlikely, that the contact rings on the armature could eventually wear down. You can get a replacement armature (with mounted rear bearing) but it is not cheap (approximately $125). Aside from that, there is really nothing else in the alternator (unlike other alternators which have the rectifier diodes inside).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks, i picked up a front bearing and brush as preventative maintenance. The headlights get dim on this vehicle pretty quick, so i'm hoping the new brush will give the alternator some life.
I don't think i could be bothered to deal with the rear bearing at the moment. I don't have a press and it's not really making any weird noises.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Just read through the PDF again, cause I like John's work. Wouldn't it have been nice if the bearing cages were made to unscrew from the covers. That way you could just swap them, instead of pressing/hammering them out? They won't do anything too easy, cause it would affect the bottom line.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just read through the PDF again, cause I like John's work. Wouldn't it have been nice if the bearing cages were made to unscrew from the covers. That way you could just swap them, instead of pressing/hammering them out? They won't do anything too easy, cause it would affect the bottom line.
While I agree, I must say, most of the maintenance tasks i've been doing on this car is relatively not bad.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well the good news: i got the brush holder removed, bad news is that one of the screws is totally stripped. Ugh, time to hunt down a part number for the screw, if it even exists

1 - 20 of 21 Posts