Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice here. I'm driving an 07, V6, 6spd manual. Last week my alternator died when I got to work. I caught a ride down the road, picked up a new one and replaced it right in the parking lot. Now when it's cold out my auxiliary belt chirps when I start the car. After it warms up for a good while it almost goes away.

I took the belt off and checked the pulleys. The new, re-manufactured, alternator has a slight squeak in the pulley. Also the tensioner feels a little week to me, but this is the first time I've worked with one. I noticed it bounces pretty good while the AC comes on.

My question is, should I replace the tensioner, the new re-manufactured alternator, or both? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The tensioner should not bounce on the wear marks, but if the new alternator's bearing is dragging because it's not good then that can also make the belt chirp as it's losing traction on it, specially if this did not happen before. If you feel the pulley bearing is not right by spinning it manually then the problem will be even bigger when it's turning at several hundred revolutions per minute. The bearing can be replaced.

I had an incredibly noisy PS pump and it was a worn bearing.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The tensioner should not bounce on the wear marks, but if the new alternator's bearing is dragging because it's not good then that can also make the belt chirp as it's losing traction on it, specially if this did not happen before. If you feel the pulley bearing is not right by spinning it manually then the problem will be even bigger when it's turning at several hundred revolutions per minute. The bearing can be replaced.

I had an incredibly noisy PS pump and it was a worn bearing.
On my SUV, I had a bearing go out of my water pump, started with a slight squeak, then it started spraying anti-freeze all over, luckily, it happened as I was pulling in the drive or would have been stranded...needless to say, always keep an eye on those things if they sound weird

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Get a spray bottle and shoot some water on the belt while it's making noise. If the noise goes away, replace the belt. If it does not, replace the alternator. I'd replace it since it's under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I did the spray test, which is what made me think the tensioner. I've got a belt on order that will show up Thursday. I'll post results back once I change it.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Same thing was happening to me on cold mornings. Replaced the tensioner pulley(and included bearings) only and problem went away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the new belt on during my lunch break today and it seems to be better. The only problem is I had to drive home to get the belt so the engine was warmed up by the time I got it on.

I took a video of it running and you can see just 2 seconds in the A/C kicks on and the tensioner starts to rattle. It doesn't make a lot of noise, but is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKRJWTTfL4M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts