Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched for an answer to this question.

This pertains to an upgraded ambient light on a Homelink from a non Homelink vehicle. The way the ambient light is powered in this situation is tapping into the glove box light.

The original forum link is here. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5964

I posted a reply with no avail. However, if the glove box light does not dim with twisting the dash knob, is there a way of tapping into the stock dimming on the 7th gen accord?

Others whom have done this upgrade, is the ambient light too bright/dim with the power coming from the glove box?

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
I'm pretty sure the glove box light is either on or off and can't be dimmed. I haven't paid much attention to how the dimming works but I'll take a look at mine tonight since it's an SE.

Which ambient light are you refering too though? The two main lights on the front ceiling light can either be pushed to turn on, or triggered by an open door on the EX I believe. They also do slowly dim when automatically turning off, not sure if this is what you're talking about.

There is also a little tiny yellow/greenish LED that acts as dim ambient light that slightly illuminates the shifter area.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
I'm pretty sure the glove box light is either on or off and can't be dimmed. I haven't paid much attention to how the dimming works but I'll take a look at mine tonight since it's an SE.

Which ambient light are you refering too though? The two main lights on the front ceiling light can either be pushed to turn on, or triggered by an open door on the EX I believe. They also do slowly dim when automatically turning off, not sure if this is what you're talking about.

There is also a little tiny yellow/greenish LED that acts as dim ambient light that slightly illuminates the shifter area.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the LED. My ambient light went out, and it seems there is no replacement bulb for it. Buying an entire new Homelink is out of the question, just for the ambient light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I am talking about the LED inside the Homelink device. Amber/Yellow or Blue in newer models. I have a friend whom has a 07 Civic with Homelink stock w/Navi. It dims with the dash lights.

So my question: Is there a way to tap into the stock dimmer?

FYI I checked my car this evening (VP Special Edition, I believe it is a VP) glove box & Truck lights do not dim with dash lights.

BLCKFLSH: There is a replacement lamp for the LED. There are DIY details here
You can purchase them from SuperBrightLED's

I Have a blue & Red one coming my way with the Homelink, I will post my results.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
Yes I am talking about the LED inside the Homelink device. Amber/Yellow or Blue in newer models. I have a friend whom has a 07 Civic with Homelink stock w/Navi. It dims with the dash lights.

FYI I checked my car this evening (VP Special Edition, I believe it is a VP) glove box & Truck lights do not dim with dash lights.

I Have a blue & Red one coming my way with the Homelink, I will post my results.
Well your only hope is that Honda didn't cheap out and provide a different harness up to the map light area and the dimmer wire is up there. If it is indeed a different harness that doesn't have all the required wires, then you will have to tap in to the dimmer circuit from the instrument cluster I believe. Not sure if that same circuit is on the audio head unit connector.

If it's not raining tonight, I'll do some investigating for you on my SE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well your only hope is that Honda didn't cheap out and provide a different harness up to the map light area and the dimmer wire is up there. If it is indeed a different harness that doesn't have all the required wires, then you will have to tap into the dimmer circuit from the instrument cluster I believe. Not sure if that same circuit is on the audio head unit connector.
Well, Honda did cheap out in some models, including mine. In Fact there is only 1 wire that comes into the stock Sunglass/2 Manual Light. The Ground is through the right bolt under the right light.

To make homelink work I have to create another ground wire from the new harness that has two. The homelink I ordered has the Harnesses and wiring coming off that back that was cut from the junkyard. Its exactly what I need to make it work.

The only concern is the dimming of LED, everything else will work fine.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions so far. I just want everything to be STOCK looking:thmsup:

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts

Is this the bulb I need? It doesn't say anything about "instrument focus" like the link you posted.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/pc74-led-bulb-instrument-panel-led/219/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this the bulb I need? It doesn't say anything about "instrument focus" like the link you posted.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/subminiature-bulbs/pc74-led-bulb-instrument-panel-led/219/
I know...I cannot find anything Labeled "Narrow Beam" or "Focus" pertaining to PC74 on SuperBrightLEDs.com or the entire net.

However it is for Instrument clusters, and is the proper model number. It says wide angle but its less that the 120 degree. Either they don't make the FOCUS anymore or 100 degree is the focused one this guy was installing. I am going to send an Email to SuperbrightLEDs.com tonight

The link above is the only one I can find on the net. I have searched and searched for the correct PC 74 FOUCS, and the 100 Degree is the most narrow beam I can find.

I ordered two and will have a blue or red installed by Saturday this week. I can post pic and let you know how it looks.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
Thanks. I really want my ambient light to work again.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
Didn't get a chance to check since last night was raining on and off all night, first night it's clear though, I'll check.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's not raining tonight, I'll do some investigating for you on my SE.
Axipher: Thanks for the Help.

BLCKFLSH: Chatted with SBLED's.com and 100 Degree is the narrowest they will ever offer and have been offering...Not sure how it will work on Sat, but stoked to do the install and find out.

I found more info on the Dimmer wire behind the Stock Radio on 7th gen's.
Here is the link to a post I found: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69411

I am going to attempt to tap into the red/black wire for Illumination on the stock Wiring Harness to tie the Ambient LED into the dash lights & Use the same ground provided in the glove box. This seems to be the easiest way to do this and I sure will find out.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
Axipher: Thanks for the Help.

BLCKFLSH: Chatted with SBLED's.com and 100 Degree is the narrowest they will ever offer and have been offering...Not sure how it will work on Sat, but stoked to do the install and find out.

I found more info on the Dimmer wire behind the Stock Radio on 7th gen's.
Here is the link to a post I found: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69411

I am going to attempt to tap into the red/black wire for Illumination on the stock Wiring Harness to tie the Ambient LED into the dash lights & Use the same ground provided in the glove box. This seems to be the easiest way to do this and I sure will find out.
No problem mate, I've bene meaning to fix my alternator wine and clean up wires anyway.

Also I'm 99% positive the red/black is actually your parking light circuit and it's just an on/off 12 V wire. I'll check mine for you too.

Also, this might help:

Is seems pin 9 and 19 (red/black and red) on the Light blue connector for the head unit are the DIM CONTROL + and - wires. It's quite possible Honda uses these like the DRL circuit on 06-07 cars where the 12 V is always there and the ground wire is pulsed to provide a lower voltage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome diagram man, Thanks!

Okay, so you're saying 9 & 19 are on the same circuit: one + / one - obviously...

So in that case, would I tap into the Ground and not the Positive for the Dimming ability?

From ambient light -> Positive LED wire goes to Negitive (Pin 19) & Negitive LED wire to Custom Ground, does this make any sense?

It seems I have some testing to do on my end this weeknd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BLCKFLSH: I installed the LED and the Beam angle is perfect. It was an easy install and took minutes to do. Much better than the Amber LED. I have a red one in now and is very subtle. I have a blue one I am going to install for a bit more light on the console area to test that out...

I was able to Tap into the dimming from the Radio Harness. It works great and was not too difficult of an upgrade.

What I did: Upgraded standard Overhead Console (Two Lights & Sunglass holder) in an LX VP to Homelink with working Garage Feature, Door Trigger & Dimming LED with dash lights.

I will post all info ASAP.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
Thanks. I will have to order one or two of those bulbs.

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
Awesome diagram man, Thanks!

Okay, so you're saying 9 & 19 are on the same circuit: one + / one - obviously...

So in that case, would I tap into the Ground and not the Positive for the Dimming ability?

From ambient light -> Positive LED wire goes to Negitive (Pin 19) & Negitive LED wire to Custom Ground, does this make any sense?

It seems I have some testing to do on my end this weeknd
Okay, so I had to move back to Canada over the weekend so didn't get a chance to test, but I did look at my radio harness for my aftermarket headunit and it only passes through the dim (+) to the Alpine head unit which is enough for it to recognize the parlking lights are turned on and dim the display slightly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts