Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
willis in dallas
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if the ambient temperasture sensor is linked to the operation of the automatic temerpature control AC? My outside temperature reading has been incorrect lately and I think the AC is not putting out as much cold as it used to. It's 100+ here and the highest reading on the outside temperature sensor was 95 yesterday.

·
"HondaFied"
221 Posts
Yeah I think it is, because whenever I get a car wash on hot day the temp gauge takes some time getting reset back to the proper temperature and when that happens it causes my Auto A/C not to work properly.

Example:

It's a 100 outside and temp gauge reads that before getting a car wash. After getting a car wash the temp gauge will stay stuck on 73* in that same 100* weather. If I have my Auto A/C set to for like 65* and the temp gauge is reading 73*, well the Auto A/C will not work hard thinking it's only 73*.

Most of the expensive luxury cars have dual temp gauges for inside and outside.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
The auto climate control uses an interior thermostat sensor like your house thermostat, but does not use the outside temp sensor.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
It will slow down once the cabin reaches the set temperature or gets near it.

·
Banned
578 Posts
The auto climate control uses an interior thermostat sensor like your house thermostat, but does not use the outside temp sensor.
This is my understanding of our 09 Ody's climate control. There is nothing from Honda that says the outside temp and interior temp work together to keep the cabin at a given temp.

Whats the outside temp got to do with the interior anyway? Your call for interior temp dictates changes required to hold the temp, whether that’s for max A/C or Full Heat. It makes no difference what the outside temp in IMO.

The fact that I know is the compressor runs anytime you turn on the A/C or defrost. If you call for max A/C on a 10 degree morning, the compressor does kick on as if it were summer. If you call for max Heat on a 100 degree day, it will give you max heat. So I see no reason to believe they are tied.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Okie dokie. I went through the manual.

"The climate control system has two sensors. A sunlight sensor is in the top of the dashboard, and a temperature sensor is next to the steering column. Do not cover the sensors or spill any liquid on them."

So according to the manual, it does not use the exterior temperature sensor. I always figured it used both to help determine how to best regulate the cabin's temperature, when to use recirculation mode (this automatically comes on when its very hot), and when to go into windshield defrost mode (this automatically comes on when its very cold).

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
I do not use the auto ac feature because it's annoying because the fan blows too hard at start ups. I just set a temperature I like and control the fan setting manually. For example, during summer, I have the temp set to "Lo" and I adjust fan speed as desired.

·
Banned
578 Posts
I do not use the auto ac feature because it's annoying because the fan blows too hard at start ups. I just set a temperature I like and control the fan setting manually. For example, during summer, I have the temp set to "Lo" and I adjust fan speed as desired.
This is the same as placing a manual setting to "MAX A/C" and keeping the fan setting low. It also keeps the system in Recirculation mode and compressor operation working its hardest. Not good practice.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
If you use the auto function as intended, when it reaches your desired temp it will turn the fan speed all the way down.

What you are doing is running your AC compressor constantly and that can't be the best for it in the long run.

·
willis in dallas
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ambient temperature sensor

Does anyone know if the ambient temperasture sensor is linked to the operation of the automatic temerpature control AC? My outside temperature reading has been incorrect lately and I think the AC is not putting out as much cold as it used to. It's 100+ here and the highest reading on the outside temperature sensor was 95 yesterday.
I took the car in this morning about the problem and the service writer at Eagle Dallas didn't believe there was a problem. I told him I was driving the car last nite for about 20 minutes at 65 and he said that was too fast for the sensor to work properly. Then he said if I drove the car in stop and go traffic, it wouldn't register the correct temperature either. I am starting to keep a log of the readings I get when I am in the car and for the time in the car too. I plan a trip back to the dealer. The part retails about $35.00 and they should have just replaced it instead of alluding that I didn't know what I was talking about. If the problem occured in my Infiniti G-35, the part would have been replaced, no questions asked!

·
Banned
578 Posts
I told him I was driving the car last nite for about 20 minutes at 65 and he said that was too fast for the sensor to work properly.
So, ask him when the sensor actually works properly. What a moron.

Although, until we hear from Honda the outside temp is linked to the auto interior temp control, I wouldnt sweat this.

·
niiice!
347 Posts
take into consideration your car is usually moving.. so the temp may be off do to the WIND/cars speed, cooling the car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
take into consideration your car is usually moving.. so the temp may be off do to the WIND/cars speed, cooling the car.
Still air at 80 degrees is the exact same temperature as moving air at 80 degrees. It may FEEL different (wind chill), but it will measure the same.

·
niiice!
347 Posts
sadly. nothing works perfect.

on another note..

how do u get the temperature on the gauge cluster like that screenshot ?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
sadly. nothing works perfect.

on another note..

how do u get the temperature on the gauge cluster like that screenshot ?
Press the odo button until you see it?

Reactions: DaErh21

·
Registered
356 Posts
107+ here today. When I got in my car, the temp display was stuck on 78, same as it was when I got to work this morning, no change in the 30 minutes I drove it.

Hope the heat didn't kill it. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts