Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe 1 quart is the amount of oil that will take the oil level from the low mark to the high mark on the dipstick. Recently I read somewhere that it is only 16oz (1/2 qt). Is this correct?

Would be useful to know since my 4ycl VTEC consumes oil and I just read the dipstick and add oil depending on where the reading was. I don't bother re-reading after adding oil. For example, if it reads exactly at the low mark, I'll dump a quart and be done without checking dipstick again. This practice depends on being correct that the distance between low and high marks is indeed 1 quart.

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
crap. i was just reading another thread regarding that a couple days ago, but can't remember the name of it. roughly 1/2 quart sounds about right though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
40 lashes with a dipstick

I don't bother re-reading after adding oil.
Please save me from the pain and agony of having to pull out the dipstick yet again. Even though Honda says, "Wait for three minutes and recheck the engine oil dipstick."

·
Super Moderator
5,580 Posts
I've never cared. If it's low, I just add an entire quart. :grin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I checked earlier today. Dipstick was about 1/3 of the way up from the lower hole. I added 12 oz. If the distance between holes represents 16 oz, adding 12 oz should bring the level up to the upper hole.

I waited a few minutes and checked - level is about 2/3 of the way up, which is what you'd expect if the distance between holes represents 32 oz (1 quart). So I'm convinced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts