Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on whether or not to amp my aftermarket 6.5" speakers. Here's the progression of what I've installed so far (from the OEM 6-speaker system).

1. replaced the OEM head unit with a Kenwood HU with iPod connectivity. The Kenwood puts out 22W RMS x 4. It made the most of OEM 6.5" speakers, surprisingly better sound. Plus, the Kenwood adds more EQ settings and bass/mid/treble fine tuning.

2. replaced the OEM speakers with Lanzar 2-way 6.5". They can handle up to 90W RMS. Much bigger magnets and stiffer cones than OEM, obviously. The overall sound quality improved even more. Problem is, the bass is not as punchy as the OEM speakers.

I'm thinking that the OEM's bass were more punchy because they were made to be more sensitive with lower wattage. But they started distorting when pushed to the limit (just 22watts). At the same time, the Lanzars need more wattage to move their stiffer cones?

So if I amp them up to say 50-80W each, would I get more punch with less distortion? Just wondering if amping them up would make a big difference or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At first I let my Sony HU drive my new 6.5 polk speakers which are rated at 100watt rms just to see how they sound. As soon as I was at on high it sounds like hell. Then I added amp that is feeding it 85 watt rms and it is a night and day difference. I bumpped into a problem where the bass sounds terrible becuase it was trying to hit notes in the 50hz and below. I set the amp to feed 65Hz and above to block bass nots it can't hit. Sounds amazing. If you do all for channels and a amp that can feed the 90 watts per channel I suggest getting a bigger battery if you have an I4.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Adding a decent external amp will make a huge difference in sound quality.

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
An amp is night and day. Trust me, do it. Did it in my last car, had a good setup but it was nothing until I added an amp. Funny thing is you wont know it until you add the amp lol.

I don't have one in my Gen 7 because I don't have the time to do it, I just replaced the OEM speakers and paid a lot of attention to the sensitivity of the speakers so that they matched the OEM head unit.

·
2006 Accord Coupe 6+6
25 Posts
You are absolutely correct in your assessment of your stereo situation. AMP it up and enjoy the ride.:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the input and info, folks. i knew an amp would make a difference, but just didn't know how much for 6.5" speakers all around. so if my speakers can handle 90W RMS each, should i get an amp that can give each 100-110W RMS? i've read that it's better to slightly overpower your speakers, granted that the amp is quality and gives clean power.

i'm thinking Alpine or JL amps. what other brands are good for powering coax's?

·
Registered
458 Posts
thanks for all the input and info, folks. i knew an amp would make a difference, but just didn't know how much for 6.5" speakers all around. so if my speakers can handle 90W RMS each, should i get an amp that can give each 100-110W RMS? i've read that it's better to slightly overpower your speakers, granted that the amp is quality and gives clean power.

i'm thinking Alpine or JL amps. what other brands are good for powering coax's?
Unless you're doing a full door treatment (sealing off the holes in the door skin and loading up on sound deadener) that's overkill IMO. There's nothing wrong with a little headroom, but at most 50-75w RMS per channel should be fine.

Make sure the amp will let you HP all four channels. That'll let you cut off the low frequencies to the speakers so they won't distort as bad. You may want to play around with the crossovers a bit, start at 60hz and go from there.

I don't think any brand is good specifically for coax speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts