Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a couple install questions. I have my amp mounted under the rear deck and am looking for a good ground location. I see what looks like the ground for the fuel pump but don't want to mess with that. Is the seat belt bolt ok...or maybe the bolt that you take off when removing the seat cushion? I understand to grind down the paint to the bare metal but just looking for someone who's been there, done that.

Also, I'm installing a Garmin with a screen in the cubby area. Is it possible to mount the antenna on the dash up by the center vents or on the rear deck where the window meets the deck. Is it necessary for it to be outside. Thanks for any help you go for me.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Ground it anywhere where it can get good contact with bare metal. A seat bolt is fine, but a place where there is already a ground wire run should be a known good spot.

I don't use an external antenna with my Garmin and the signal is fine through the windshield. You should be fine mounting it inside the car as long as it has a clear view of the sky.

·
Registered
402 Posts
which car?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
wait, does installing a external antenna help with the handheld GPS? i hate how mine takes forever to find satellites.. i got the garmin 255WT i think.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Garmin is a remote unit that uses an antenna and runs the video to a separate screen and the audio to the aux in on the oem HU. I ended up mounting the ground to the seatbelt bolt after grinding down the paint. The antenna I ran up through the dash to the windshield with the wiring going under the center dash panel. It fits nicely and is stealth. Didn't want to try and take it outside the car but don't think I will have any problems with line of sight to the satellites.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
wait, does installing a external antenna help with the handheld GPS? i hate how mine takes forever to find satellites.. i got the garmin 255WT i think.
No, the portables are just slow in acquiring a GPS signal. The Magellans have the same problem.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Also, I'm installing a Garmin with a screen in the cubby area. Is it possible to mount the antenna on the dash up by the center vents or on the rear deck where the window meets the deck. Is it necessary for it to be outside. Thanks for any help you go for me.
The OEM GPS antenna is mounted under the rear deck panel next to the driver side rear speaker. If you look under your deck panel next to the left side of the speaker, you will see the flat surface on the metal deck for the antenna, and the insulation under the deck will be cut out in a round circle for the antenna. The signal goes right through the cardboard deck panel. You can see a picture of the OEM antenna placement in this thread...a few photos down.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46324

1 - 7 of 7 Posts