Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Honda Accord. In my last post I explained my situation about having to replace my factory radio with another factory radio I bought off eBay (mine stopped working). The one that I bought doesnt have one of the outlets that my old radio had. After doing more research I found out that it is the amplifier connector F(3P). Is there anyway I can get something that would be able to connect that plug with out having that outlet...? I've seen a couple plugs online that are the "two in one" kind of thing. Would that be something that would work? If so what one would I need to get?

2008 Honda Accord coupe
no nav
no dual temp
The black radio is the new one I just got. The other one is my old broken one. You can see the missing outlet on the right of the black one.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw your other post and my thinking is that your original radio may be fine do to it only losing sound and not function. There is a small amplifier to the right rear of your glovebox that might be the culprit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah so your old radio was a premium audio system. The new one you purchased unfortunately is not.

This is really quite unfortunate. Perhaps you can contact the seller and find out if they have a premium audio unit that you can exchange it for. I think it's going to be a pain in the ass to try and get the new one to work with your amp. Alternatively, you may be able to use the new (or old) head-unit with an after market amp.

I would suggest trying to pull the factory amp and see if it smells burnt. If it does, than clearly that's what failed.

I have a feeling mikecu may be correct. This sucks sorry man.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you bought the wrong radio, plain and simple. not going to be able to make this work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the positive feed back! With me being a simple female college student I really have no idea what im doing so all of your comments have helped a lot! lol My next question would be how I would find the amp and how to make sure it is the amp that has gone bad and not the radio? If it is the amp, what brand would be best to replace it with and is that also something I could do myself?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wonder if you could use that new stereo with a line out converter and just upgrade the amp... Pretty sure if the amp is burnt out, you would be able to smell it if you got close to it.. Somebody said it's near the glove box? I don't have premium audio so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually just checked that a few hours ago. It was next to the fuse box on the right side... it didnt smell like it was burnt but it did happen over a few months ago so I dont know if the smell would fade over time? Also if you could explain to me what a line out converter is and what kind of amp I would get in that case that would be amazing! :) Thanks for your help everyone!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
not positive, but i dont think a line out converter and aftermarket amp will work with the low level outputs from the stock premium head unit, nor will that be cheaper than replacing the stock amp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually just checked that a few hours ago. It was next to the fuse box on the right side... it didnt smell like it was burnt but it did happen over a few months ago so I dont know if the smell would fade over time? Also if you could explain to me what a line out converter is and what kind of amp I would get in that case that would be amazing! :) Thanks for your help everyone!!!
yes, the smell would fade over time. i stand by my [very long] comment on your previous post.

bite the bullet and buy a new honda premium audio amplifier. call up a parts dept. at a local honda dealership, tell them you need to replace the amplifier for your premium sound system on a 2008 Accord coupe (LX, EX, or EX-L whichever you have) and that you'd like to know the cost and the exact part number as well.. they'll probably ask for your VIN just to get it right. once you get those 2 pieces of information, you can check around ebay, hondapartsnow.com, and other sources to get what you need for the best price.

replace your burnt out amp, put your old radio back in, and sell the radio you just bought :thmsup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
The part number is 39186-TA0-A01. The list price is $320.50, but you can get it from Bernardiparts.com for $224.99. You could also check ebay or junkyards for a used one, but for $225, i wouldnt take a chance on a used one...

·
Banned
47 Posts
I dont understand why people are saying that you have the premium amp.
If you have a 08 coupe, no nav, no dual temp....I'm assuming you dont have the EX-L.
Only the V6 or EX-L with premium audio come with that premium external amp, which is located right above the pass. side fuse box.
You can see it easier, if you pull out the glove.
To pull it out, open it, pop off the plastic damper thingy, thats clipped in on the right.
Push it back up/in, after you unclip/pop it off.
Hold the back sides of the glove and push them inward, this will allow you to drop the glove.
If you do have EX-L/Premium Audio, you'll see a silver box on the right above fuse box, with two plugs on the top side.

I doubt you'll be able to smell much after this long, but I guess you could try.

I think the radio you bought, is for Premium Audio, and you do not have premium audio.
Your choices would be to get a used/new OEM radio or go aftermarket and sell everything, but it might hurt your re-sale later.

^^ $225 isn't too shabby, but it hurts when you already purchased this one. :(

Let me know if you need any pics of the premium amp :)

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
I dont understand why people are saying that you have the premium amp.
If you have a 08 coupe, no nav, no dual temp....I'm assuming you dont have the EX-L.
Only the V6 or EX-L with premium audio come with that premium external amp, which is located right above the pass. side fuse box.
You can see it easier, if you pull out the glove.
To pull it out, open it, pop off the plastic damper thingy, thats clipped in on the right.
Push it back up/in, after you unclip/pop it off.
Hold the back sides of the glove and push them inward, this will allow you to drop the glove.
If you do have EX-L/Premium Audio, you'll see a silver box on the right above fuse box, with two plugs on the top side.

I doubt you'll be able to smell much after this long, but I guess you could try.

I think the radio you bought, is for Premium Audio, and you do not have premium audio.
Your choices would be to get a used/new OEM radio or go aftermarket and sell everything, but it might hurt your re-sale later.

^^ $225 isn't too shabby, but it hurts when you already purchased this one. :(

Let me know if you need any pics of the premium amp :)
Since there seems to be some confusion regarding what she has, perhaps it would be easier if she posted a picture of the front of her radio and climate control. In her originally posted pictures, she states the the newly purchased radio from ebay is the black backed radio without the amp connector, but it is shown on her original radio, the silver backed radio. She could also post a picture of her amp and that would confirm what she does actually have.

Scott C.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On a side note, there are about 427 ways for an amp to fail that don't involve any burn-smell. This is not a reliable troubleshooting tool.

IMO the easiest thing to do is start by getting the right head unit. If that doesn't work, then replace the amp. Once you find the component you need, sell the other on eBay...you'll get what you paid more or less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts