Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys/Gals, has anyone tried Amsoil Synthetic CVT Fuild? I would love to use synthetic cvt fluid, but i know each specific mfr cvt is very sensitive to the fluid, and amsoild one type fits all is questionable. I don't have a good feeling when they don't have lab results prior to the actual comparison results. Do they really have a lab for fluid development before putting it into reality test. Something is not right when I look at the results on their site. I'd like to hear your experiences.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ.../automatic/synthetic-cvt-fluid/?code=CVTQT-EA

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Hello Guys/Gals, has anyone tried Amsoil Synthetic CVT Fuild? I would love to use synthetic cvt fluid, but i know each specific mfr cvt is very sensitive to the fluid, and amsoild one type fits all is questionable. I don't have a good feeling when they don't have lab results prior to the actual comparison results. Do they really have a lab for fluid development before putting it into reality test. Something is not right when I look at the results on their site. I'd like to hear your experiences.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ.../automatic/synthetic-cvt-fluid/?code=CVTQT-EA
You answered your concerns. Just buy OEM fluid and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
First of all, anything other than Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid will likely VOID your CVT warranty. There is nothing wrong with the Honda fluid. It was specifically developed for the CVT in the Accord. If you don't care about your warranty, then by all means, go for it! Be sure to report your findings here, whether good or catastrophic ;)

·
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will stay with OEM fluid for now while still under warranty until I can find hard evidence of better results. Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Will stay with OEM fluid for now while still under warranty until I can find hard evidence of better results. Thanks all.
Presumably better results means you have unsatisfactory results with Honda CVT fluid. What are you trying to improve? I'm sticking with OEM as long as I own the car, why risk it?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Honda has always been very specific with their fluids(coolant, power steering, transmission, differential). If they spend billions of dollars engineering a car to run with fluids that meet their "spec" why would one deviate from that.

I did once read that when the DW1 ATF fluid came out there was a synthetic version sold in Canada form Honda.

For a car under warranty wouldn't even consider messing with fluids. I believe that the manual would say that you have to use Honda CVT fluid only. I don't think they use the word "equivalent" anywhere.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You can use any oil or fluid that meets or exceeds Honda specifications and NEVER be denied a service claim because of it. If you would have to use Honda only fluid by law they would have to provide it to you free of charge.

Much over nothing. I am sure Amsoil or Royal Purple, or any other ATF/CVT meets or exceeds Honda spec.

Fluids are the biggest scam since the wheel was invented. More worry and fussing and money spent over these items thena they are worth.

I run Amsoil Syncro Mesh in my 6MT. I run Mobil 1 motor oil. I run a Mobile 1 oil filter. So what ? Again all meet or exceed Hondas specs.

RUn what you are comfortable with and that meets the spec and the LAW says you are fine and most dealers will agree. Keep receipts and mileage when service was done is all you need.

Cracks me up when people tell me they paid 60 or 70 bucks for an oil change. Man it must be nice to have money. I do a oil change and it is around 32 bucks for full synthetic 0-20w and a Mobile 1 filter. Not sure what a dealer uses. Not even sure if you can buy 0-20w in strait Dino oil?

Anyway use what meets specs and that you are happy with and drive the snot out of it!

Most products list"meets or exceeds" Honda blah, blah, blah on the label.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
1Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Fluid
NOTICE
Do not mix HCF-2 with other transmission fluids.
Using a transmission fluid other than HCF-2 may
adversely affect the operation and durability of your
vehicle's transmission, and damage the transmission.
Any damage caused by using a transmission fluid that
is not equivalent to HCF-2 is not covered by Honda's
new vehicle warranty.

I stand corrected, the word equivalent is used. With that said however, I'd be skeptical to use a one formula serves all approach. Honda makes a HMMF and HCF-2 cvt fluids that are sold separately. On the Amsol website it says that their fluid can be used with either. I wouldn't do it but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
After a quick internet search, it was interesting to see that many oil manufacturers (Redline, CAM2, Valvoline, Amsoil, SuperSyn, etc.) all offer a synthetic CVT fluid that they claim provides better anti-shudder durability, wet clutch performance, specialized friction characteristics, reduced slipping, better thermal stability, etc. Amsoil even makes the claim:

It is Warranty Secure and will not void your vehicle’s warranty.”

There is also no shortage of testimonials from Nissan, Subaru, Audi and even Honda owners who switched to synthetic CVT fluid with no problems. The "HFC-2 equivalent" phrase raises some uncertainty, but if I had a CVT with shudders and vibrations problems, I would be willing to try it.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
1Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Fluid
NOTICE
Do not mix HCF-2 with other transmission fluids.
Using a transmission fluid other than HCF-2 may
adversely affect the operation and durability of your
vehicle's transmission, and damage the transmission.
Any damage caused by using a transmission fluid that
is not equivalent to HCF-2 is not covered by Honda's
new vehicle warranty.

I stand corrected, the word equivalent is used. With that said however, I'd be skeptical to use a one formula serves all approach. Honda makes a HMMF and HCF-2 cvt fluids that are sold separately. On the Amsol website it says that their fluid can be used with either. I wouldn't do it but that's just me.
"It depends on what the meaning of is, is". Who determines if it is equivalent, Honda or Amsoil? That makes all the difference in the world. I don't like that use with either when Honda has 2 different CVT fluids that are not compatible. Universal and one size fits all is not always the best. I'll take a custom tailored suit over a dept store rack any day.

After a quick internet search, it was interesting to see that many oil manufacturers (Redline, CAM2, Valvoline, Amsoil, SuperSyn, etc.) all offer a synthetic CVT fluid that they claim provides better anti-shudder durability, wet clutch performance, specialized friction characteristics, reduced slipping, better thermal stability, etc. Amsoil even makes the claim:

It is Warranty Secure and will not void your vehicle’s warranty.”

There is also no shortage of testimonials from Nissan, Subaru, Audi and even Honda owners who switched to synthetic CVT fluid with no problems. The "HFC-2 equivalent" phrase raises some uncertainty, but if I had a CVT with shudders and vibrations problems, I would be willing to try it.
Agreed, so would I. As it turns out, I changed with regular Honda fluid and it shifted better than ever. If you used Amsoil and had a CVT problem, is Honda bound by Amsoil's claim of "compatible" and "warranty secure". I don't use Honda motor oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess I am the first. Amsoil CVT

I bought my 14 EX-l with 13,800 and took it home and changed the CVT fluid along with the oil and filter.
I have always used nothing but Amsoil for all of my vehicles and have never had a single issue with any vehicle I have owned. I will admit most of the vehicles have been newer so no high mileage reports here.
CVT Fluid change:

Front on ramps, jack stands in the rear keeping the car level. Rubber Plug out, drop drain plug. I measured, 3.7 out. I put 3.7 back in and went for a ride.
Came home and did it again after 15 miles.
It feels smoother upon engagement and feels smoother overall. I am very happy with how it drives and moves along up to and at speed.

After 1000 miles the trans still feels just as good and at least I know there is Amsoil in it. I plan to do it again t the next oil change.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It is not what Honda or Amsoil says at all.

It is the rating on the side of the jug. This is a independent certification so someone can sell something and say it is equivalent to another product.

Again all to much over nothing.

As long as it says it meets the specification of a car manufacturer's specification it is fine to use.

I can say Amsoil has improved the cold shifting and shifting in general in my 6MT.

This is metal we are talking about here, not veins and hearts and blood type. As long as the fluid does the job, your transmission could care less.

The benefits to most "better" fluids is longevity through less thermal break down, shear strength which has a lot to do with composition and molecule size, and it's ability to not slide off of gears and such once the car is stopped so oil is present on restart.

I ran cars for 30 years without synthetics and was fine, never had a motor blow due to an oil related issue.

I prefer synthetic for longevity and heat dispersion in motors. I have proved over and over that motors run cooler on synthetic than Dino oil. Mostly on air cooled bikes Harleys to be exact that were built to over 100/100.

However I still feel that Dino oil changed at reasonable intervals is as good at keeping a motor as synthetic is. However You can extend changes on synthetic oils much longer than Dino.

And that is where I differ as no way a motor is doing OK on 10,000 mile dino oil changes.

No I do not know more than Honda but I do know how I take care of my cars and 5000 on dino is all I would push no matter what.

Again most of this is personal choice and subjective. Just run what you want and make sure it meets or exceeds the standard and call it a day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 14 EX-l with 13,800 and took it home and changed the CVT fluid along with the oil and filter.
I have always used nothing but Amsoil for all of my vehicles and have never had a single issue with any vehicle I have owned. I will admit most of the vehicles have been newer so no high mileage reports here.
CVT Fluid change:

Front on ramps, jack stands in the rear keeping the car level. Rubber Plug out, drop drain plug. I measured, 3.7 out. I put 3.7 back in and went for a ride.
It feels smoother upon engagement and feels smoother overall. I am very happy with how it drives and moves along up to and at speed.

After 1000 miles the trans still feels just as good and at least I know there is Amsoil in it. I plan to do it again t the next oil change.
Hi.

I have a 2013 Accord 4-cyl touring now with 46,000KM. The car transmission would slightly jerk when accelerating slowly, while cold, from day 1. After the CVT fluid got warm to a normal operating temperature the jerking (could be slipping) stopped. At about 25,000KM I drained the Honda CVT fluid and replaced it with Amsoil CVT fluid. I do not experience any jerking or unusual CVT behavior at any speed or temperature. I've floored the car countless times when merging on to the highway. The CVT was just a drain and fill. At 50,000KM I will do another drain and fill with Amsoil CVT fluid just to increase the percentage of Amsoil in the transmission. Will do that one more time before the next winter which will be at about 75,000KM. Then I will continue with drain and refill every time the maintenance warning light for tranny comes on. I've been using Amsoil for 30 years. I still have an old 2003 Accord Ex-L 4cyl currently at 623,000KM. The reason why manufacturers use scare tactics is because people don't inform themselves what equivalent or better fluid they put in their cars. It has to indicate on the container that it is suitable for your vehicle. I know a guy who used Amsoil 0w20 in an air cooled Honda ATV claiming he knows better, that the low viscosity dissipated the heat better. That's true but not suitable for that vehicle. Unfortunately at very high heat when the mud covers the piston the 0w20 viscosity is too low and there's metal to metal contact (film breakdown) which wore out the engine in just one outing into the mud. Went on a rage how Amsoil is crap and that he should not have replaced the Honda 10w30. I use Amsoil 0w40 that claims on the bottle as being suitable for ATVs. Honda does not manufacture oil for their products. They outsource the requirements and put their label on the cheapest manufacturer that meets or exceeds the requirements. Long story short, be well informed with what substitute you use, and always search for additional information, but never experiment with your equipment. All else just use the manufacturer's fluid. You can't go wrong with that.

·
'15 6-6
522 Posts

Honda has most likely spent a lot more time designing CVT fluid--not to mention said CVT fluid was tailored to the transmission. That is to say that they spec'd the fluid at the same time they developed the transmission.

This is a long way of saying: just use the OEM fluid.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is not what Honda or Amsoil says at all.

It is the rating on the side of the jug. This is a independent certification so someone can sell something and say it is equivalent to another product.

Again all to much over nothing.

As long as it says it meets the specification of a car manufacturer's specification it is fine to use.

I can say Amsoil has improved the cold shifting and shifting in general in my 6MT.

This is metal we are talking about here, not veins and hearts and blood type. As long as the fluid does the job, your transmission could care less.

The benefits to most "better" fluids is longevity through less thermal break down, shear strength which has a lot to do with composition and molecule size, and it's ability to not slide off of gears and such once the car is stopped so oil is present on restart.

I ran cars for 30 years without synthetics and was fine, never had a motor blow due to an oil related issue.

I prefer synthetic for longevity and heat dispersion in motors. I have proved over and over that motors run cooler on synthetic than Dino oil. Mostly on air cooled bikes Harleys to be exact that were built to over 100/100.

However I still feel that Dino oil changed at reasonable intervals is as good at keeping a motor as synthetic is. However You can extend changes on synthetic oils much longer than Dino.

And that is where I differ as no way a motor is doing OK on 10,000 mile dino oil changes.

No I do not know more than Honda but I do know how I take care of my cars and 5000 on dino is all I would push no matter what.

Again most of this is personal choice and subjective. Just run what you want and make sure it meets or exceeds the standard and call it a day.
I think LAF has hit on the major points and arguments behind using manufactures oil/lubricants and an independent like Amsoil. From a legal persepctive if they (Amsoil in particular) are expressly (written) saying their products exceed manufacturers standards and the CVT fails I am VERY sure Amsoil would want to see that failure and cover the cost of the repair. It would be an easy argument for an attorney :D Would it be a hassel-probably a little but if a newer car's transmission suffers a catastrophic failure-it won't be an easy resolution with Honda either. They will want a tear down. Either way you are looking at downtime.

That begin said it really boils down to personal preference. Some like to stay "original" others like to upgrade their products and pay a little more to do so. Will using Amsoil and not Honda fluids be a down grade over the other-no way they are top quality compatible fluids. Now if you stop in the local gas and sip and buy the plain white quart bottle that just says "CVT Fluid-made in China from old burlap" on it for $1.99-yeah you're probably going to be sorry...

I have run Amsoil oil and Transmission fluid/CVT in everything I have ever owned for 25 years. Not one failure from hours of track days in a GSR/SE-R and a 97 Honda Civic HX with a CVT that I literlly beat the day lights out of on autocross courses, track events and daily commuting. Amsoil CVT and Oil and it went almost 150,000 miles and it earned every one of them. No one thing wrong with it when i traded it in on an RSX.

Make a choice and stay with original or try Amsoil if you want- you won't be sorry and if you decide to change back-it's still America....go for it !! :thmsup:

·
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is exactly most of us are looking for; where honda could be using the cheapest quality, without the extra additives, to cut costs. But, it is tough for being the guinea pig. It is hard to find good results from a real evidence, where most manufacturers could come up with fake results for marketings.

The benefits to most "better" fluids is longevity through less thermal break down, shear strength which has a lot to do with composition and molecule size, and it's ability to not slide off of gears and such once the car is stopped so oil is present on restart.....

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The word "Equivalent" may mean that Amsoil CVT fluid will not void the warranty From an owner's perspective and may mean it does void the warranty to Honda's legal department. I wouldn't switch to another brand of fluid even after the power train warranty has expired because Honda then has an opportunity to NOT offer you a "good will" repair should the transmission fail. I'm sure that all the ingredients in each manufacturers CVT fluid is proprietary information and Amisol's formulation may not be the equivalent to Honda's.

·
2015 Honda Accord EX-L I4
81 Posts
CVT Fluid change:

Why may I ask, do you need to change the transmission fluid at 13,800 miles?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I changed my CVT fluid at 38,000Km in 2013 Accord 4CYL to Amsoil CVT fluid. I have just over 80,000KM on the car. I never had any issues whatsoever. I gun the car once in a while. I'll drain and fill again in the summer. The question you may ask is why change it to non-Honda fluid. Well in the past I had a 2003 Honda accord automatic that had jerking problem during the start. I had the same problem in 2006 Pilot, and 2013 CRV. Each problem was cured by draining the Honda automatic transmission fluid and refilling it with Amsoil Universal AT synthetic fluid. Never had any issues after that. Maybe there are other manufacturers that could provide the same quality as Amsoil but I started with Amsoil in mid 70's, and I never had to question or contemplate switching to another product. It works as they claim. Newbys get trapped by the sales job each dealership/manufacturer puts in the manual. Yes, "Honda" fluids are good/certified, but Amsoil(and perhaps other) fluids are better, they break down long after the "Honda" fluids turn to sludge. I've tried each way beyond the maintenance minder and I will never put "Honda" fluid in after the first fluid change with the exception of the engine coolant. That's about it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts