Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT
318 Posts
I would be fairly certain the mean time between failures was factored into Honda's decision on what fluid to use. There is certainly and without a doubt a calculation involved for how many hours the engine and transmission (and any other part on the vehicle) is designed to withstand without failure. Hopefully, you get a factory freak and run 500,000 miles with no issues. Realistically, Honda probably designed all major mechanical parts on these vehicles with a goal in mind for MTBF. The fluids with lubrication are a big part of this equation. I would run Amsoil without any hesitation because synthetic fluids are inherently more protective against sheering and deposit build-up. Auto manufacturers are in the business to make money. A broken car means it's time to buy a new one and more revenue for them. Thankfully, Honda apparently aims for the high end on MTBF and is very successful in making sure we get what we paid for. However, if I can use another fluid and get a little more time before it's time to trade or scrap it, why not go for it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would run Amsoil without any hesitation because synthetic fluids are inherently more protective against sheering and deposit build-up.
There is one important thing that I should take into account that synthetic fluid handle heat much better than OEM conventional fluid, like synthetic motor oil versus dino oil.
I will try Amsoil CVT fluid since at 21,800 miles for the first fluid change the factory filled fluid on my 2017 Accord EX looks like this .I drive 30 miles a day both local and highway in the Bay Area,California.

Attachments

·
cvt - NOT
1,190 Posts
There is one important thing that I should take into account that synthetic fluid handle heat much better than OEM conventional fluid, like synthetic motor oil versus dino oil.
I will try Amsoil CVT fluid since at 21,800 miles for the first fluid change the factory filled fluid on my 2017 Accord EX looks like this .I drive 30 miles a day both local and highway in the Bay Area,California.
Just stick with the Honda CVT fluid.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is what I found out Honda OEM oils.
As long as you use the correct weight, you can use whatever brand that you are familiar with : Amsoil,Pennzoil,Mobile One,Valvoline.. and you'll be fine. I'm happy with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic and I will never look back other brands, even Honda OEM motor oil.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,640 Posts
I'm pretty confident that I'll get all the miles I want out of this car, using regular oil and filters from Wallyworld, and HCF-2 in the CVT. I don't think the car will be worth more when I sell it, if I tell them I used Amsoil. When you go to KBB.com they don't ask what oil/transmission fluid you used, when calculating the value of your car. Will the dealership offer you more for it at trade-in time?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm pretty confident that I'll get all the miles I want out of this car, using regular oil and filters from Wallyworld, and HCF-2 in the CVT. I don't think the car will be worth more when I sell it, if I tell them I used Amsoil. When you go to KBB.com they don't ask what oil/transmission fluid you used, when calculating the value of your car. Will the dealership offer you more for it at trade-in time?
Amsoil CVT fluid is cheap if $10/20 membership for 6/12 months is obtained. I ordered 16 quarts of Amsoil CVT fluid yesterday, $10.85/ quart with 25% discount already applied and free shipping with order more than $100.Full price per quart is about $ 14. I will drain and fill 3X to remove most of the existing and recently filled OEM fluid in the tranny.
I will keep my 2017 Accord EX as long as it can last with Amsoil for CVT fluid and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for the engine oil.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,640 Posts
Still more than I paid for HCF-2.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,640 Posts
I think I can go 50k miles on a single drain and fill with HCF-2. I guess, if you're trying to get to 500k miles, and you think HCF-2 can't get you there, go for it. I see no reason why it can't. I'll probably put less than 150k on this car. Most people will sell/trade a car before that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
+

+
I think I can go 50k miles on a single drain and fill with HCF-2. I guess, if you're trying to get to 500k miles, and you think HCF-2 can't get you there, go for it. I see no reason why it can't. I'll probably put less than 150k on this car. Most people will sell/trade a car before that.
Can you show us the fluid drain sample with Honda fluid at 50k miles ? Definitely, I can't go up to 50k miles for OEM but synthetic fluid.
Honda fluid is hell of crap that can't last that long.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,884 Posts
Can you show us the fluid drain sample with Honda fluid at 50k miles ? I drained mine last Saturday at 21,800 miles, 1st drain from factory fill .It came pretty dark .Definitely, I can't go up to 50k miles for OEM but synthetic fluid.
Honda fluid is hell of crap that can't last that long .I drive moderately 30 miles a day, both local and highway.
Can you show us proof (i.e. hard data) to back up your claim that your factory fill fluid with 21,800 miles on it was bad or that it wouldn't have been able to go up to 50,000 miles because "Honda fluid is hell of crap"?

Or are all your statements based on watching YouTube videos again?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can you show us proof (i.e. hard data) to back up your claim that your factory fill fluid with 21,800 miles on it was bad or that it wouldn't have been able to go up to 50,000 miles because "Honda fluid is hell of crap"?

Or are all your statements based on watching YouTube videos again?
Please roll back to # 24 post:laugh
My judement on the ability that OEM Honda can last up to 50k miles might be subjective but from the pictures recently posted, If I wanna stay with Honda fluid, I might keep the drain interval around 20~25k miles only and keep in clean in the tranny with 3X drain and fill that costs me more than 100 bucks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Showing how dark the fluid is is not scientific data.

Nothing has been proven.
I will send a fluid drain sample to any lab for a detailed analysis in order to adjust the drain interval If I want to.But it must be synthetic, not OEM fluid.
By the end this week I will drain and fill the second time with Amsoil CVT fluid since my Amsoil order will be available by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda has most likely spent a lot more time designing CVT fluid--not to mention said CVT fluid was tailored to the transmission. That is to say that they spec'd the fluid at the same time they developed the transmission.

This is a long way of saying: just use the OEM fluid.
You do know that Honda does not make oil, right? They may give specs to companies that do, and then they buy from the lowest bidder. The aftermarket oil companies (Amsoil, Royal Purple, ect.) have a long history of subjecting their products to independent testing labs for comparison to the OEM products. They beat them every time as evidenced by the fact that the OEMs would be touting the results if they did not.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Why won't you test the factory drain???

That's the idea behind proving something.

DnF factory, test... Run synthetic the same miles...DnF and test that.
Then compare, otherwise it's just air out of your.....

·
2014 Accord LX
6 Posts
4-cyl 2014 CVT with 42k miles checking in. Does anyone have an opinion on what HCF-2 compliant transmission fluid to use? If I were lazy I'd go to the Honda dealership and buy it. If I were really lazy, I'd have them change it for me. Considering that all you need is a level surface, a ratchet, a funnel and a measuring device to replace the same amount of fluid, there's no reason for me to pay the dealer to do this. There is a little bit of lift-off-the-throttle judder under 15 MPH when decelerating in the cold of winter but otherwise it performs pretty darn well, in case that matters. Live in NC. Hot summers 85-105 F. Winter is rarely below 20 degrees F but it happens sometimes.

I'm not asking whether or not I should change the fluid, or about the transmission judder. I just want to know some good or bad experiences with different types of fluids before I do this maintenance.

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts