41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,640 Posts
How do you delete a message here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amsoil CVT fluid is cheap if $10/20 membership for 6/12 months is obtained. I ordered 16 quarts of Amsoil CVT fluid yesterday, $10.85/ quart with 25% discount already applied and free shipping with order more than $100.Full price per quart is about $ 14. I will drain and fill 3X to remove most of the existing and recently filled OEM fluid in the tranny.
I will keep my 2017 Accord EX as long as it can last with Amsoil for CVT fluid and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for the engine oil.
How is your transmission holding up with the Amsoil CVT oil since your changes it?

How is your transmission holding up with the Amsoil CVT oil?

·
Reverse Gear
931 Posts
Back when I owned a 2002 Odyssey, I ran amsoil AT fluid in the tranny. That vehicle had a notoriously weak transmission. I had 93k trouble free miles on ours when I sold it. No problems whatsoever. I wonder if I voided my warranty by doing that? I probably saved Honda some money by switching to Amsoil, as a large percentage of the trannys on that generation Oddy got toasted. Amsoil definitely makes good products, but warranties are far too important to mess with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back when I owned a 2002 Odyssey, I ran amsoil in the tranny. That vehicle had a notoriously weak transmission. I had 93k trouble free miles on ours when I sold it. No problems whatsoever. I wonder if I voided my warranty by doing that? I probably saved Honda some money by switching to Amsoil, as a large percentage of the trannys on that generation Oddy got toasted. Amsoil definitely makes good products, but warranties are far too important to mess with.
I used it on my daughters 2007 Pilot and I believe they are similar transmissions as the Odyssey and so far no problems. I believe the CVT transmission oil will be just as good and hopefully it won’t void the warranty if a problem occurs. I keep hearing Amsoil is a much better fluid than the Honda OEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Accord Coupe V6 AT. I recently replaced my AT transmission fluid with amsoil signature ATF. What I noticed immediately was the transmission was more responsive. It shifts smoother and qicker than the honda dw-1 atf. I just do the drain and fill, which I did with the dw-1 every 3rd oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced my CVT transmission fluid on my 2017 Accord LX on Monday 17 August 2017,with 18,000 miles and had a drain and fill twice with Amsoil. The car drives very smooth and no more shudder problems. I highly recommend Amsoil CVT transmission oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honda has most likely spent a lot more time designing CVT fluid--not to mention said CVT fluid was tailored to the transmission. That is to say that they spec'd the fluid at the same time they developed the transmission.

This is a long way of saying: just use the OEM fluid.
So just an FYI no auto manufacturer makes lubricants. They contract with a company like Mobil, shell, etc which Honda uses ConocoPhillips for their lubricants supplier. There is nothing specific to Honda for any of the lubricants. The coolant is just a phosphated organic acid technology which all Japanese autos use, Honda uses ConocoPhillips. Honda supplies them with a specific name and label design, ConocoPhillips does the rest. They already had an amber colored CVT fluid on market called phillips66 CVT fluid for any belt driven CVT. It is not possible for a company to make all kinds of “special fluids” for a whole bunch of car manufacturers. Toyota for instance uses Mobil as their lubricants. Same with their oils and transmission fluids. Toyota W/S trans fluid is just a dexron 6 with a friction modifier that Mobil already has on the market, and slap a Toyota label on it and mark the price up bc it’s a “special fluid” which all auto manufactures do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did a drain and fill of my CVT a little over a year ago with Amsoil CVT. Being overly cautious about the CVT fluid, I had had the fluid changed out several times already at 53k, and 74k. Did the first drain/fill with Amsoil at 86k. I'm at 105k now.

Mixed it with HCF2.

I commute to class so it's had about 20k miles put on it so far, but no problems so far. I know I should probably do the 3x drain/fill but it hasn't really needed it. Will likely do the drain/fill at the next oil change.

The CVT did seem to perform better after switching to Amsoil CVT fluid.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,640 Posts
My CVT works just fine with HCF-2. If I were reading about CVT failures on this forum, I would think about trying a more expensive fluid.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts