Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning, everyone. Now in my sixth year of ownership of my 2012 EX-L V6 Accord coupe, and almost 157,000 miles on the odometer, I thought briefly of perhaps selling it and getting something newer. Those thoughts quickly passed, however, as I took stock of my vehicle and realized how much I still enjoy driving it and how at this point, it’s like an old, broken-in baseball glove that just fits right.

So, my question is, as our cars are getting older (some of which date back to the George W. Bush administration)... what are the things about your 8th gen that you still appreciate?

Mine:
*The styling of the 8th gen coupe has aged well.
*The seats are comfortable for long drives. Even at 8 years old, they still feel supportive.
*The V6 has plenty of power on tap, yet returns decent fuel economy.
*The storage capacity is ridiculously good for a coupe. My wife and I volunteer with our local food pantry, and the amount of food I can cram in the trunk and back seat on a routine basis is really impressive.
*For the most part, Honda does make things pretty easy to work on.
*Maybe the best sound quality of a stock stereo system in this price segment (at least that I’ve heard).
*For a front-wheel drive vehicle, it is nicely sure-footed in inclement weather. Some of it is tire choice, I’m sure, but even in bad snowstorms, the car feels balanced and the grip is predictable.

(Mods, I did search for this topic using the site’s search bar. I also tried the Google, and didn’t see anything there either, but if I missed it and something like this already exists for the 8th gen, please feel free to merge! I saw there was a “do you like your 8th gen” thread from 2012, but that seemed geared primarily for new car owners.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got an I-4 sedan. I agree with the styling comment, my 2010 does not look 10 years old! And even though I have an LX, the cloth seats are very comfortable, I agree with that too. For a midsize sedan, the engine packs a lot of oomph and I can even outrun big trucks on the highway.
And as a new driver, this being my first car, I do love my extra grippy steel wheels. My first time driving in snow, I was alone, doing 60 MPH down a curved hill, at night, and my Accord handled it like nobody's business. I wasn't even worried, and I never slid, not even once.
I've only got 70,500 miles on my odometer, so I'm hoping to keep this car for another 20 or maybe even 30 years! :)

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
21 Posts
My 2010 LX sedan is yet to pass the 100k mark, just under 90k at the moment, but that doesn't mean there aren't things I like about it as a daily driver for getting around the city. Though I have been bothered by a lot of the issues I've been having with it that seem to be pretty common in this generation, especially on the 4 cylinder model.

With that being said:
  • There's a lot of legroom, especially in the back
  • I don't think the seats are the greatest, but they're good enough for a daily driver
  • Being a 4 cylinder, it's very easy to work on
  • Despite being a 4 cylinder and having a timing chain, I feel it still drives pretty smooth and quiet
  • Even through 10k miles a year of driving, the engine has held up pretty well besides the oil consumption, and hasn't had any major issues
  • Regarding the styling, it's not the most modern looking, but it also has aged better than my '06 Odyssey, at least in my opinion.
Overall, it's been a pretty good car that has fit my needs well.

·
VCM DELETE
686 Posts
I think you commented on my post when I got my 2012 EX-L V6. We have the same cars, but mine is a sedan. I have had the car now about 2 years. (will be this fall) I actually drove to a Honda Dealer in Phil PA to purchase mine. (as I was looking for a Silver/Black V6 with navi)

Here are a few of my takes. (and keep in mind I used to have a 2008 i4, so ive had both engines)

1. This engine kicks ass. it never lets me down, never boggs down, never any issues. Dosen't leak oil, burn oil, or have fouled plugs thanks to disabling the VCM. The passing power on the highway when your going 60 and you punch it is awesome. The V6 in my book is a hands down must have in the 8th gen. These cars are big and heavy for a spirited driver, the V6 is a must. Now some may disagree with me, but thats just my opinion. I also have no problems shelling out a grand to the dealer to do the timing belt. No way am i going to tackle that job. Your off by a hair on the mark you totally screw up the motor. Plus the crank pulley is just insane to get off.

2. The Stereo, Never has any other accord I owned had a better stereo. This rivals the 12 speaker stereo in my brothers benz. Its Loud, tons of bass and once you fix the rear deck rattle, sounds excellent.

3. Many complain about the seats, but I've found the later in the gen, the seats get better (i.e. the 2008 seats totally sucked where the 2012 seats are way better) now not sure if they put extra padding in the leather seats, but its a huge difference. They have held up excellent. No rips or tears.

4. I still get people who ask me what year my car is, and when I saw 2012 they are shocked. Some think its a 2016 (non honda enthusiasts)

5. Car only has 92k on it. I see some sell that have almost 200k on them so they are proven to be good engines that last (im speaking of V6, I filter the searches) many are weary of V6 Transmissions but these cars have a very low failure rate if any at all.

Took this car from Northern Ohio to Miami FL in February. Car ran so good. Still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. I plan on keeping a long time.

In the end, it all just depends on what you like. I driven a ton of accords. This one is a keeper. The V6's are rare and will become a high demand car in the near future. (so will V6- 6MT's)
Everything is going to turbo 4CYL's now a days.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,013 Posts
Thanks Derekwildstar, for coming up with this thread! Great idea.

My 2009 V6 sedan was a dealer CPO with 48k, now has 146k and it's been hugely reliable. I love the build quality. I bought it as perfect platform for mods that make it awesome.

1) The J35 V6 is a fine engine matched to an excellent AT. Mine is completely stock, but merging onto a freeway or passing, the power and gear are there. No need to floor it either.
2) Steering is tight and responsive with the double-wishbone front end.
3) The stock suspension had a lot of body roll. There's plenty of aftermarket suspension available. I added mods which make it handle Audi-like.
4) There's a lot of interior space. I use it as a truck sometimes. I can put a 20-ft ladder in it. For passengers, it's roomy and comfortable.
Dislikes:
1) I guess we all have a different ear, but the stereo system to me is awful.
2) Road noise.
Plans: Keep it indefinitely, change out the audio system and add sound dampening, floors and doors.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2009 V6 sedan was a dealer CPO with 48k, now has 146k and it's been hugely reliable. I love the build quality. I bought it as perfect platform for mods that make it awesome.

1) The J35 V6 is a fine engine matched to an excellent AT. Mine is completely stock, but merging onto a freeway or passing, the power and gear are there. No need to floor it either.
2) Steering is tight and responsive with the double-wishbone front end.
3) The stock suspension had a lot of body roll. There's plenty of aftermarket suspension available. I added mods which make it handle Audi-like.
4) There's a lot of interior space. I use it as a truck sometimes. I can put a 20-ft ladder in it. For passengers, it's roomy and comfortable.
Dislikes:
1) I guess we all have a different ear, but the stereo system to me is awful.
2) Road noise.
Plans: Keep it indefinitely, change out the audio system and add sound dampening, floors and doors.
Dislikes? Ain’t no room for Accord hating in here!

(I kid, I kid...)

Seriously though, I do think the stereo assessment is definitely subjective. Coming from a 2013 Subaru Impreza, the first time I turned on the Accord’s stereo I thought I was sitting in Boston Symphony Hall. However, I could definitely understand not being impressed by it if you’re accustomed to higher end systems.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
21 Posts
The 6-6 is just a real gem of a powertrain, one of Honda's finest. Since I have kids I would have preferred to have 4 doors, but my loyalty is to the stick so the kids will just have to suffer, haha.
Hey, the advantage of a stick is you get to teach your kids stick someday...hopefully keeping stick alive for another generation :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey, the advantage of a stick is you get to teach your kids stick someday...hopefully keeping stick alive for another generation :p
I'll chime in here. My boyfriend is a stick enthusiast, he said he would rather walk than drive an automatic. He ended up purchasing a 2002 Civic DX, manual, and he simply adores it. Only 53k miles too, so we expect it to be around another decade or two, at least.
He comes from a family of 7 kids, and all of the ones of driving age (which is all but one of them) have been taught to drive manual, and he insists on teaching it to our kids someday. Now, I don't intend on popping out 7 kids, but guaranteed that every one of mine will be taught to drive stick by him.
Hopefully this makes your day 😁 the stick shall live on, at least in this family.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll chime in here. My boyfriend is a stick enthusiast, he said he would rather walk than drive an automatic. He ended up purchasing a 2002 Civic DX, manual, and he simply adores it. Only 53k miles too, so we expect it to be around another decade or two, at least.
He comes from a family of 7 kids, and all of the ones of driving age (which is all but one of them) have been taught to drive manual, and he insists on teaching it to our kids someday. Now, I don't intend on popping out 7 kids, but guaranteed that every one of mine will be taught to drive stick by him.
Hopefully this makes your day 😁 the stick shall live on, at least in this family.
Your boyfriend sounds like a keeper. Put a ring on it!

·
8th Gen Believer
4,013 Posts
Yup he got the right idea. I taught my daughter to drive on an old manual Volvo.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I'd add an addendum of a few other items - I had some time to think while stuck in a traffic jam this morning (one definite sign that NJ is re-opening - traffic has returned):

• Reliability - this car could blow up tomorrow, and it would still be the most reliable car I have ever owned. The oil pump leak earlier in the summer caused the highest-priced repair the car has taken to date, but this car is still far and away cheaper than any of the other higher mileage vehicles that I have owned.
  • Smoothness - This morning I was sitting in traffic and looked down at the tach to make sure the engine was still running. It's the smoothest/quietest engine I've ever owned. Road noise is still typical Honda-loud, although the Nokian tires do help to cut down some of it.
  • Handling - When I was in my 20's, I had an Integra, and it was like driving a slot car. My Accord coupe ain't that, but it's decent enough. We have family up in the Adirondacks and the car is a lot of fun on twisty mountain roads (and one of the few times I select Sport mode on the transmission and use the paddle shifters). No one will confuse it with an NSX, but it handles well enough to shake out the cobwebs on an early morning drive through the mountains.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'll chime in too. I love how the coupe looked so we bought one new when my wife was looking for a new car. I'm practical but still decided on the 2-door because of the looks. I don't think I even considered other cars and we didn't even test drive one. Back in 2010, I was still kind of a Honda fan. Had an 02 Civic 5MT before this Accord.

Car still looks good. When the new BMW 4 Series was unveiled, so many people on one forum noticed it had a similar silhouette to the 8th gen coupe. Had very minimal repairs out of warranty / extended warranty - (A/C clutch). Oil changes are a cinch.

Timing chain, double wishbone front suspension. Also had a 95 Integra LX in the past and although that would have been lighter and more fun, the Accord is no slouch. All stock, it handles corners pretty well for a FWD and heavy vehicle. 4 cm lower, 8 cm shorter than the sedan, it's the best compromise for decent handling, MPG, looks.

To be honest, I hate double screen designs where the display materials are different. I don't mind the center console adorned by two dozen buttons. IMHO, the 8th gen dashboard / console layout is better than the 9th (dual display) and the 10th gen (tablet style).

Honda did take a lot of short cuts on the 8th gen like lots of hard plastic and going for the K24Z3 engine but it's been rock solid. We use the car less now that we have a CT200h and a RAV4H as they're cheaper to fuel up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't mind the center console adorned by two dozen buttons.
A lot of critics complain about that "cluttered center stack"! I also much prefer the buttons as to like a tablet style screen. I'm still a relatively new driver and I feel like the buttons are less of a distraction. Plus you learn where each button that you need is rather quickly. It's super simple once you get it down pat, I don't even have to glance over anymore, I can just reach for the button I need.

Forgot to mention in my original post on this thread, I learned to drive in my mom's 2009 Accord sedan (EX). Loved it so much that I bought one myself (2010 Accord sedan LX).
Car so nice we bought it twice.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
So people were told in 2012 that MacPherson Struts on the 9th Gen will not decrease handling dynamics but with the 2021 TLX, we are npw told it allows for lower height and larger tire contact with the road. :)

I also forgot about the simplicity. Our 8th gen has VSA (electronic stability control) and no newer electronic nannies (less helpful) to break. ESC is something professional race car drivers suggest most of us keep on when not racing/tracking. I know most of these nannies once broken can be turned off or defeated but it's just fewer points to break in the long run which means likely less cost to maintain.

For the 7th gen, only the 6 cylinder variants came with VSA. I only learned about that a few months ago lol. So in 2020, the brand new 2011 purchase has been rationalized.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few friends have jokingly dubbed my car the F-15, as they say that it has more buttons on the center stack than a fighter jet. Yes, it's a really busy arrangement, but on the plus side, when I'm driving I can find all of the buttons by feel (as @Ash051 points out). A bit trickier to manage on a touch screen.

And @internalaudit, I agree about the simplicity of the vehicles. Less to break, but also a less filtered driving experience. I'm assuming my next car will come with all the newest/greatest driver's aids, but for now, I enjoy having a car that has enough safety stuff to keep me out of a ditch in a snow storm (ABS/VSA), but not so many as to make me feel like I'm a passenger in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
21 Posts
I was listening to acceleration of the K24...there's another thing I like

While I like the J35 acceleration sound and feel better, I like the K24 too in its own way.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,577 Posts
Timing chain, double wishbone front suspension. Also had a 95 Integra LX in the past and although that would have been lighter and more fun, the Accord is no slouch. All stock, it handles corners pretty well for a FWD and heavy vehicle. 4 cm lower, 8 cm shorter than the sedan, it's the best compromise for decent handling, MPG, looks.
That would have been an Integra LS.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
And now I'm coming to a slow realization that I am probably not ready for any electric car with Li-ion batteries, knowing the batteries probably won't last as long as a typical Honda or Toyota engine (easily two decades if not more).

This conjecture I'm basing on CATL's announcement a few months ago on a 16-year LFP batteries with 2,000,000 km warranty and how even the oldest of the Tesla S have only approached the eight year warranty mark. In a few years we will know how these Li-ion batteries hold up since they also degrade over time.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind getting a used Li-ion BEV down the road if I have to but if all three cars (Accord, RAV4, CT200h) we have are running fine, what's the point buying a depreciating asset? Many BEVs don't even come with rear electric torque vectoring yet which is one of my requirements to maintain the fun factor (and add a little to safety).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts