Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go into the diagnostics menus, and turn on ANC Diag, it makes a loud hum. Does that mean ANC is not working?
Years ago, I had asked the Honda dealer to disable ANC due to poor audio. Now I'm trying to find out how they disabled it. ANC Plug in back of unit is plugged in. So maybe they didnt do anything, but the car has always sounded noisier than before I told them to disable it.

What does this ANC Diag do?
If it hums and makes loud bass sound, does it mean they disabled ANC?

·
2010 2.4EX
403 Posts
In diagnostic mode you will hear a low freq test tone generated.

If whoever you had disable ANC(Active noise cancel) and it's still connected to the back of the audio unit, then they probably cut power to the ANC unit(about the size of a metal Zippo lighter), or, disconnected the microphones. Doing the latter does not disable ANC - disconnecting ANC from both the radio and its power source does.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In diagnostic mode you will hear a low freq test tone generated.

If whoever you had disable ANC(Active noise cancel) and it's still connected to the back of the audio unit, then they probably cut power to the ANC unit(about the size of a metal Zippo lighter), or, disconnected the microphones. Doing the latter does not disable ANC - disconnecting ANC from both the radio and its power source does.
I've watched some youtube videos of the location of the ANC module , when you take out the center console. I did that and did not see any plug hanging there. Are there any good guides with screenshots, of how to check the other areas?

Is there no way to test ANC itself, to see if it is still enabled, without checking both microphones, etc?

·
2010 2.4EX
403 Posts
I've watched some youtube videos of the location of the ANC module , when
you take out the center console. I did that and did not see any plug hanging
there. Are there any good guides with screenshots, of how to check the other
areas?

Is there no way to test ANC itself, to see if it is still enabled, without checking
both microphones, etc?
This quick video shows the approximate location of the ANC module. The contributor likely did all the dirty work(console & dash demolition lol!) prior to filming the location:

I have an 8th Gen(2010) Accord, so no separate module. I did have to take apart the center console and part of the dash to remove the audio unit and pull the ANC harness out of the back. No separate module for those model years.

·
cvt - NOT
1,221 Posts
If your car is equipped with the "premium" stereo....disabling the ANC (from menu or unplugging) definitely has more cons than pros. Search the forums, but I believe you will need to make some other upgrades to the factory stereo if you want the ANC disabling to work effectively.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your car is equipped with the "premium" stereo....disabling the ANC (from menu or unplugging) definitely has more cons than pros. Search the forums, but I believe you will need to make some other upgrades to the factory stereo if you want the ANC disabling to work effectively.
Yes it has premium radio. EX-L without Navi. I don't want to disable. I want to see about enabling it again. I'm just not sure where it was disabled and if it actually is disabled. Because there is no option to test if it's on or off.

·
2010 2.4EX
403 Posts
Yes it has premium radio. EX-L without Navi. I don't want
to disable. I want to see about enabling it again. I'm just
not sure where it was disabled and if it actually is disabled.
Because there is no option to test if it's on or off.
If you are aftermarketing your system, especially adding a sub, you want to disable ANC.

Otherwise, to test it, play some known sources of exceptionally bass-heavy music, then find a road where you can drive with a steady 1500-2500RPM throttle. If the bassy elements of the music sound weak or cut out periodically, then ANC is enabled and is working.

·
cvt - NOT
1,221 Posts
Yes it has premium radio. EX-L without Navi. I don't want to disable. I want to see about enabling it again. I'm just not sure where it was disabled and if it actually is disabled. Because there is no option to test if it's on or off.
You can easily check to see if it was unplugged by

·
2010 2.4EX
403 Posts
You can easily check to see if it was unplugged by
One does not need to mess around disconnecting microphones in the headliner in order to disable ANC(Active Noise).

That part of this video is an unnecessary step in disabling it and is misleading.

All ANC disabling activity takes place inside the dashboard, within 12 inches of the back of the main audio unit('radio').

PERIOD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts