Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Android Auto bluetooth connection failure

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  frankie1220 
#1 ·
This might be a stretch, but I thought I would ask this question here.

I have a Pixel XL, and my previous vehicle had an aftermarket Pioneer 4100NEX installed. I used to have issues with connection to that head unit and this Pixel XL phone, and the issue was characterized by an error on the HU screen (white text on a blank black background) stating something like “Android Auto is unable to connect right now. Please check your phone screen when it is safe to do so.” I don’t recall the exact wording of the message, but I think this was the gist of it. Disconnecting the phone cable and plugging back in would sometimes help, but other times it would require a power down of the car (and HU) to get it working.

On my new Accord 2.0T Sport, I am getting occasional error messages when plugging my phone in, where there is a popup message at the bottom of the screen saying that Bluetooth failed to connect. The HU will appear to retry occasionally – and a “Connecting…” message will appear at the bottom of the screen (in front of whatever the HU is displaying at the time – Trip Computer, Sat Radio, etc), followed by the same error message. I have occasionally seen the “Connecting…” message where it wasn’t immediately followed by the error – and my assumption is that this was a successful connection.

My initial thought is that these issues are basically the same, and the messaging is just different between the two HU’s – meaning that Bluetooth was the culprit on the old car, but this was NOT apparent from the on screen message. So perhaps my phone is the culprit – not the HU’s.

So I am just curious whether anyone else is having similar issues with the Pixel XL? (This is the original Pixel XL – not the Pixel 2 XL). Both the HU and the phone report that they are up to date from a system software standpoint.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't speak to your previous head unit.

In the Accord, Bluetooth attempts to connect over-the-air (OTA) when your car in turned on and a paired phone is within 30 ft.

Android Auto connects when your car in turned on and you plug in the cable. They are two different ways your car connects to your phone.

You'll see a "Connecting..." prompt when your Accord attempts to connect via Bluetooth. If you plug in your cable during this step, you'll likely get "Connection Failed..." - which is common - because the BT (OTA) connection was interrupted by AA (cabled) connection.

If you always connect (via cable) before or at the moment you start your car, you'll preempt the BT connection and never see the prompt or the error.

I hope that helps...

#3 ·
I will give this a try - I don't think that I have been consistent in the order of connection. I will start plugging in before starting the car and see if this prevents the issue. This could explain the intermittent nature of the problem.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.