Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Avid "Accord-ist"
2020 Accord EX-L 2.0T
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (so far) set up Maps, Waze, TomTom AmiGO, and Sygic to run on the Android Auto head unit in my 2020 EX-L 2.0T Accord. Yes, this is a bit excessive but that's just what I do. All of these applications seem able to coexist and perform per design. I wonder if others have had similar experiences. Comments much invited.

Nav Apps Comparison:

·
Avid "Accord-ist"
2020 Accord EX-L 2.0T
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sygic Comments: I may have mentioned above that Sygic, although not free, was reasonably priced. That was then.

Took my 2020 EX-L 2.0 out for a spin and learned that although Sygic indeed showed up in Android Auto, the version was not fully supported without an additional purchase of something called "Android Auto Premium." Well, in for a dime, etc., I paid the additional $53 (this in addition to the $17 already spent for "North America Maps and Traffic"), and now I can run the full program on the car with all the bells and whistles. Well, not quite all, but see below. The program has quite a few useful functional features, but whether it outperforms one or another of the other 3 related applications is not yet clear.

Sygic has a long list of add-on features, each with its own additional fee, and I suspect most of them will not be useful to Android Auto users. One nice feature is that on the phone (i.e., not within Android Auto), Sygic can run in a small overlay window on top of other applications. This is similar to the overlay feature in AmiGO and I tried a few combinations that all worked to spec. However neither the Sygic or the AmiGO overlay works in Android Auto (at least in my version and hardware), but in my wife's car (w/o AA) it allowed me to test that feature, Very cool.

Hope a few others will jump in here with comments.

·
Avid "Accord-ist"
2020 Accord EX-L 2.0T
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's perhaps useful to note that all 4 nav apps under discussion here behave one way when in stand-alone mode (i.e., on the phone only), and another when in Android Auto mode. This is particularly the case for AmiGO and Sygic, as was demonstrated to me over the weekend on a trip to and from Philadelphia (about an hour and a quarter ride). I used my wife's 2012 Civic which doesn't feature Android Auto and observed all of the Sygic features in action. Particularly nice is the "lane assist" that shows up in a small window well in advance of an upcoming turn. It allows the driver to get in position for the turn without too much hassle. I was able to do the same with AmiGO yesterday.

Both AmiGO and Sygic also feature a picture-in-picture mode that allows the app to run in an overlay on the phone. This feature doesn't work when the apps are run under Android Auto, and it really should be available. I suspect that certain wide view AA screens may be configured to do this, but I'm not sure. Of course with phone-only mode the user can choose either portrait or landscape view, and this is not the case with AA.

Another "gotcha" with Sygic was the discovery that "mobile speed cameras" (aka radar guns) are only available as a paid extra feature (about $20 annually). Pricey I'd say, but I sprung for it. A lot cheaper than insurance penalties or traffic tickets or suspensions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts