Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I've had this issue going on for over a year now, and can't seem to figure it out; I had my transmission rebuilt on my 03 v6 coupe, and when i picked it up from the shop the TCS and /!\ lights were on. the TCS was working perfectly fine before i took it in to get the rebuild done. i went back to the transmission place, but they said it wasn't anything they did and scanned my car for me. the weird thing is that the guy is saying its an electrical problem.. i'm not sure what i should do at this point, i was hoping to not have to pay the dealer 140 just to look at it.. do any of you guys have experience with your TCS light? any ideas of what it could be?

any help/advice is greatly appreciated thanks...

hey guys, with my 03 v6 automatic :thumbsdow i've got a really annoying ongoing issue; everytime i drive i hear a "vibrating/scraping" metal sound. Its been constant for some time now, and i just finished removing the muffler heat shields (piece of sheet metal above each muffler). in case anyone is wondering why, its because they rusted and broke presumably due to age. this actually seemed to help at first, but now the sound is back and its just as loud. the weird thing is, this ONLY happens under light o moderate acceleration and is only audible at 2k rpm. literally, anything above or below there is no sound at all.

*this was not affected by the heat shield removal.

that's the first thing. next, ive had my engine light on for quite some time now; at first the codes seemed to suggest the lower o2 sensors, and since i hadn't changed them, i started there. the CEL went out for about 15 mins, and then back on again; so now its saying there is no current to the o2 sensors (so some type of electrical problem maybe?) and there are manifold codes, as well now.

thirdly, my TCS and "!" lights are still on, been well over a year now.. i've picked up intentional skids on snow/ice (in completely empty parkinglots) and i can hear a very loud electrical buzzing coming from the front/under the vehicle.. so i'm thinking its possibly the ABS (however, there is never any ABS warning light on)

this is very frustrating, i love my car, but i have no clue what to do.. seems like the only option is to go to the stealership at this point.. does anyone have any experience with problems like these? any help/ideas/advice is greatly appreciated.. if not maybe the next step my be to just get rid of the car :dunno:

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Have you checked your axles to see if the damaged your abs sensors on hub?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't checked that, i don't have access to a hoist until tomorrow, however, i did buy a new brake switch, which can apparently cause warning lights to come on. also seems to be a common issue with these cars (brake switch) so hopefully this solves my problem, if not, it was probably something i'd have to eventually do anyways.. plus the brake switch was like $10 at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
If the shop cleared the ABS codes, or reset them completely, you will have to do the "TCS pressure sensor neutral position memorization", shown below, by FredSVT--This write-up saved my tail a few weeks back, after a friend of mine reset my stored ABS codes from a LONG time ago, playing with his new Snap-On scanner. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll have to clear them again before being able to do the re-learn, if you have driven the car since the codes were reset. When I tried the below procedure without clearing them, I was able to get a code to flash from the ABS light. The code told me I had to do the re-learn, but coincidentally was also the code preventing me from completing it.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=507278&postcount=5

May have to bring it to a mechanic if you don't have a way to reset the ABS light? This is assuming it is simply a re-learn, and not another issue. Should be code for why the light is on.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KMH, thx for the input... i'm gonna have my mechanic try this.. i'm not sure what it means by "jumping pins 4 and 9 on the DLC".. also, what were your symptoms in the car? mine is actually just the "!" and "TCS" lights, the ABS comes on for a few seconds upon starting the car but then disappears as it should..

·
Registered
808 Posts
KMH, thx for the input... i'm gonna have my mechanic try this.. i'm not sure what it means by "jumping pins 4 and 9 on the DLC".. also, what were your symptoms in the car? mine is actually just the "!" and "TCS" lights, the ABS comes on for a few seconds upon starting the car but then disappears as it should..
The dlc is the OBDII connector by your left knee/shin. I used a paper clip, and the diagram shown above. The plug is labeled too, so you know which pins re which. Will have to clear the abs codes again, however, right before doing the re-learn. It's really easy provided the codes are cleared.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Oh, my symptoms were the ! And TCS indicators. Those systems cannot function properly if the "home base" setting is not programmed properly. A the very least, doing the relearn without resetting the codes would make the car blink the dash light to give you the code of what is wrong. My abs light gave me a code 84 I believe, which told me I had to do the relearn.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KMH, thx so much for the help... if i understand correctly, by simply connecting (or jumping) pins 4 and 9 (via paperclip) on the DLC (just didn't know it was called that, i thought thats what it was from the diagram, lol) and then doing the process i should be able to do the re-learn myself? if thats the case i'll just do it myself, and hope that it works.. my symptoms are the same as yours, doesn't seem to affect anything in the car (with the exception of the TCS off function)

·
Registered
808 Posts
hey guys, with my 03 v6 automatic :thumbsdow i've got a really annoying ongoing issue; everytime i drive i hear a "vibrating/scraping" metal sound. Its been constant for some time now, and i just finished removing the muffler heat shields (piece of sheet metal above each muffler). in case anyone is wondering why, its because they rusted and broke presumably due to age. this actually seemed to help at first, but now the sound is back and its just as loud. the weird thing is, this ONLY happens under light o moderate acceleration and is only audible at 2k rpm. literally, anything above or below there is no sound at all.

*this was not affected by the heat shield removal.

that's the first thing. next, ive had my engine light on for quite some time now; at first the codes seemed to suggest the lower o2 sensors, and since i hadn't changed them, i started there. the CEL went out for about 15 mins, and then back on again; so now its saying there is no current to the o2 sensors (so some type of electrical problem maybe?) and there are manifold codes, as well now.

thirdly, my TCS and "!" lights are still on, been well over a year now.. i've picked up intentional skids on snow/ice (in completely empty parkinglots) and i can hear a very loud electrical buzzing coming from the front/under the vehicle.. so i'm thinking its possibly the ABS (however, there is never any ABS warning light on)

this is very frustrating, i love my car, but i have no clue what to do.. seems like the only option is to go to the stealership at this point.. does anyone have any experience with problems like these? any help/ideas/advice is greatly appreciated.. if not maybe the next step my be to just get rid of the car :dunno:
Brake shields rubbing on theinside of the rotors?

As far as the TCS light, did you ever try the relearn procedure as recommended here, in your last thread about it?:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77555&highlight=neutral+position+relearn

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually, i had the transmission rebuilt in nov 2011.. thats when the TCS first came on (literally when i picked it up, the guy said "the transmission is fine now but your TCS light is on") I was ignorant, thinking ok, the TCS is minor (and i always turn it off anyway), i was happy to have a working transmission, so i figured id figure out the tcs later on. well over a year later and I can't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Let's track down your first issue first. That sounds like an exhaust component resonating right at around 2000rpm. I had this issue but on an aftermarket Comptech headers on my old 98 Accord V6. It pointed to a bad flex joint on the down pipe. Jack up the car and see if the flex joint is frayed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
actually, i had the transmission rebuilt in nov 2011.. thats when the TCS first came on (literally when i picked it up, the guy said "the transmission is fine now but your TCS light is on") I was ignorant, thinking ok, the TCS is minor (and i always turn it off anyway), i was happy to have a working transmission, so i figured id figure out the tcs later on. well over a year later and I can't figure it out.
As mentioned before, have you tried the "TCS pressure sensor neutral position memorization" procedure? Until you have, than you are re-posting the same problem, without trying the suggestions. Most likely, the shop reset your ABS codes, which is what created the need to do the memorization procedure. Trust me, I had the EXACT same issue.

FWIW, I'd be happy to walk through the procedure with you, that would give you the code to tell you what is wrong. PM me if you need help with that. It's very straight-forward.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys, thx so much for your responses... on a side note, I have no idea why the thread topic says "please help, brodas" cuz I never typed that at all lol. anyways, i'll check on the brake shields to see if they are rubbing on the rotors at all tomorrow. KMH, thx for the suggestion, i've actually tried the procedure when i was originally told about it, however, it doesn't seem to be working for me. oddly enough, i was missing a fuse from my interior fuse box labelled as "LAF". I have since replaced it, and a good sign is that now i sometimes hear the little knock (which i believe was said to be a system test of some sort). granted i only hear this occasionally, as opposed to everytime when the TCS was functioning properly. I actually tried the procedure again, but perhaps i'm missing something, so i'll take you up on the offer so check your PMs.. again, I appreciate all the help guys..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys, just an update, Kevin/KH hit the nail on the head. it was a matter of getting the abs codes cleared and then doing the re-learn procedure.. i think the toughest part was actually getting the codes cleared. once completing the re-learn procedure, the lights are all off and the TCS is fully functional again. thank god it wasn't the abs module as many people sometimes believe it to be. thanks again Kevin, and everyone else who helped!

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I haven't checked that, i don't have access to a hoist until tomorrow, however, i did buy a new brake switch, which can apparently cause warning lights to come on. also seems to be a common issue with these cars (brake switch) so hopefully this solves my problem, if not, it was probably something i'd have to eventually do anyways.. plus the brake switch was like $10 at the dealership.
Brake switch has nothing to do with TCS. It only operates the rear brake lights.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hate to bump an old thread but I have the same issue. I tried to do the fix that Fredsvt had posted and I could not get the TCS light to turn off. However, my ABS light was already engaged and it happened the same time the TCS light stayed on. I took my car in to Midas 2 years ago and long story short I had to get new brakes/rotors, etc. When I came to pick it up they said the ABS light failed and as a result the TCS light is staying on. I have googled for a long time and I finally got here and now that I'm trying to sell this car I figure I would try again. 2005 Accord EX-L V6. I want to get this issue fixed but the dealer ship told me nothing is wrong; just the sensors are damaged. So since my ABS was already lit up will this fix not work? TIA

Mark

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
I hate to bump an old thread but I have the same issue. I tried to do the fix that Fredsvt had posted and I could not get the TCS light to turn off. However, my ABS light was already engaged and it happened the same time the TCS light stayed on. I took my car in to Midas 2 years ago and long story short I had to get new brakes/rotors, etc. When I came to pick it up they said the ABS light failed and as a result the TCS light is staying on. I have googled for a long time and I finally got here and now that I'm trying to sell this car I figure I would try again. 2005 Accord EX-L V6. I want to get this issue fixed but the dealer ship told me nothing is wrong; just the sensors are damaged. So since my ABS was already lit up will this fix not work? TIA

Mark
The TCS requires signal from the ABS sensors to work, so if you have a damaged ABS sensor, which would explain the ABS light, then no, the TCS will not function no matter how many times you try the "relearn" procedure.

I picked up an Innova 3130C OBD-II scanner today which also has the ability to read/clear ABS for a number of brands, Honda being one of them.

I was surprised to see 4 ABS codes since the ABS light was not on, nor was the TCS light, the car was working perfectly, the first ABS code was wheel speed sensor but I was unable to scroll through the other 3 while just playing with the scanner sitting in the car, so I decided to just clear the codes and see what happens.

You've probably now guessed that's why I found this thread, as the "!" symbol lit up when I started the car, then a short time after I start driving the "TCS" lit up, exacly as KH has stated. The Innova code reader returned code 84-01 Honda ABS code, and described 3 possibilities:

1. Sensor logic failure
2. Steering angle sensor failure
3. Steering sensor input error

I'm going to try out the "learning" procedure and report back, hopefully it takes care of this problem I "created" myself by clearing out ABS codes, which may have been phantom ones to start off with.

I'll report back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts