Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Just purchased my first 2004 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX-L Auto up here in rainy Vancouver, Canada and I'll be tracking the build here. I’m coming from a 2008 VB Rabbit that was sitting on aftermarket springs/forks and 18inch rims (firm and tight ride).

Info On Car:
  • Car had only one owner
  • 132,500km on the clock.
  • STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS recall done
  • Engine is smooth and pulls real nice in city and highway driving, no funny noises when changing gears (kinda paranoid getting the auto trans given the reported issues for these cars)
  • Very comfy suspension
  • Steering wheel seems a bit heavy, i’m guessing this is normal since it’s a “sporty” coupe ?
  • Apparently car was rear ended 2 times, with repairs under 900CAD, i can tell that the rear bumper is a bit cleaner than the rest of the car, no obvious structural damage (how could i check this?)
  • Don’t have recent maintenance items, but the owner said it’s been the regular oil change.
Ultimate Goal:
This will be my GF’s daily and I want to keep it looking as stock as possible. I want to turn into a nice low cruiser (so upgraded wheels and suspension) but mostly to maintain it in tip top shape, no performance mods any time soon.

Questions:
  • I’m wondering how should I start the maintenance process. Should I just take it to a mechanic for a general inspection and make a list based on what the inspection says or should I not bother and just start with “So You Just Bought A 7th Generation Accord” thread, for fluids brakes etc? I’d like to make a list of maintenance items to do from highest to lowest priority and I see that there’s a lot of knowledge here :-D
  • I gave it the beans on the highway and the steering wheel was vibrating as it was accelerating. Is this normal at these high speeds ?
  • for my VW i used rockauto for parts. Do people use that for Honda's too? It seems that have quite a good selection on parts.

I look forward to clean up this car and turn it into an awesome looking cruiser :D

Attachments

·
HK Moderator
13,928 Posts
Welcome!

1) Click on your UserCP and add your location so that it will automatically appear under your username. There are several Canadians here who can recommend places for parts and such.

2) Vibration under acceleration only (not while coasting, not while slowing down) is a sign of bad axle(s). You can go with OEM (expensive), or with Raxles (search the forum); or take a chance on some from Advance Auto or wherever (some are fine for 50,000 miles, some are bad out of the box). Changing axles can be done at home (I have yet to do mine as they are fine), or indy shops can do this. Before you decide it is axles, rotate your wheels to see if the vibration follows, gets worse, or better. That would point to spin balancing, deformed wheels or deformed (flat spotted) tires. But mostly, it will be axles. Not a bad idea to mess around there anyway if the car ever saw road salt- the shafts can rust away and snap.

3) RockAuto: Yes, many use them especially with the 5% off coupons. I am mad at them at the moment for screwing up an order on another car- and I did not realize the part listed for my car does not actually fit my car until I went to install it 30+ days later. No returns after 30+ days even if they were wrong. Lesson learned. eBay re-sale here I come! (A month later it is still listed as the proper part- another email will go out).

You can also look at CollegeHillsHonda or CarID (sponsors here), or make trips to Seattle every now and then. HondaPartsNow and even eBay can help.

4) Not a bad idea to get the car up on a lift and have a look-see. My local dealer here on the mainland offers a $20 oil change- but really they want to get your car up on a lift and write up $2,300 worth of stuff your car needs asap or it will explode (they say). BUT, you will get a nice write-up of stuff THEY saw that MIGHT need addressing.

5) Take care of all fluids and filters FIRST before spending a Canadian dime on wheels and lowering the suspension.

6) Rear bumper damage. Get on your back and slide under the car's trunk (plenty of room there- no need to lift the car). Look at the structure there. Any bent metal? Any deformed parts? Does the car track straight and no weird wear patterns on the tires? Then carry on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks a bunch @RickBlaine (i booked a checkup at my mechanic just to get a list of things )

Also I forgot to mention, while out cruising yesterday, i was wearing shorts and felt a bit of heat radiating from under the center dash area near my right leg after doing some highway runs.
Is this normal?

EDIT: thanks for the edit, i'll keep it in mind for the future

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Folks,

So I've started preparations for the first 3 fluid flushest: ATFx3 AND atf filter, engine oil+filter and power steering + power steering reservoir change.

I went poking around under the bonnet and under the car to see if I can identify the correct pieces and I've noticed quite a lot of oil/grime on the bottom of the transmission (driver's side) BUT i've also noticed some near the belts near the power steering pump. See the two attached pictures.

Tomorrow I think I'll go buy 2 ramps for the front of the car to prop it up so I can have a bit more wiggle room and take a better look at the transmission. I think I'll wipe it down a but with a bit of WD-40 and I'll snap some more pictures if I see anything weird.
But I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what to look for, with regards to leaks ?

And with regards to the power steering side, again any things I should look for to check for leaks ?
Would it be problematic if i just take the power steering pump off, clean the area and put it back in ? (saw a video and it doesn't seem too complicated)

As the car stands, there are no leaks on the ground, everything just seems very messy in the engine compartment.
I'm booked for a general inspection next friday, so I'll try to clean a bunch of stuff up.

I'll post more updates when I actually get to doing things.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Folks,

Latest update on the car:
- Successfully completed the 3x ATF drain and fill
- Installed AT filter replacement and installed new intake filter (might as well replace intake filter while the airbox is off)
- Replaced 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches
- did an engine oil and filter change

The next 2 items I want to tackle are the Power Steering Flush + Reservoir replacement (it's looking super dirty) AND the Serpentine belt.

I would also like to do some preemptive maintenance while working in the PowerSteering and the Serpentine belt areas.

Could some of you Accord gurus (V6 Preferably) let me know if there are any other things that I could check/change where necessary at the same time while working on the PS and the Serpentine belt areas? (water pump on the serpentine belt area if applicable, Hoses from PS? i'm seeing a bit of fluid around the PS tubes going into the reservoir ?)

In addition, I'll be looking for some new/used rims to use for the winter set; i'll post pictures as soon as I have some.

Thanks in advance :D
CJ

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
Honda ATs shouldn't be flushed, but it's done. A plain drain & fill is recommended. I had an 03 and if you're able to add an external transmission cooler, that would be money well spent.
Is that seepage from the power steering pump you found? There's an O-ring that can be changed. Check for seepage from the rack. Most owners change the water pump when doing the timing belt kit. Have you bought that already? Aisen, OEM and Continental are good kits, I have 40k miles on the latter. Check for rust while you're under it.
On the Tools menu, upper right, there's a search feature, click advanced search for questions or issues (such as the external trans cooler). Glad to have you on DA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts