Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a suspension rattle in the front end since I purchased my Accord a couple of months ago. It was noticeable on the test drive, but since it was so similar to worn-endlink rattles I’ve dealt with before, I figured it was an easy fix. The professional inspection didn’t turn up any red flags either.

I replaced both front and rear endlinks a couple of weeks ago, but alas, the problem persists. When driving over cracked or uneven roads, there’s a clunky rattle coming from the front wheels, seems to be more on the passenger side. It doesn’t occur when both wheels hit at the same time (speedbumps, etc.), only when one wheel does, which is why I immediately thought endlinks.

So, it seems that the two most likely culprits are front sway bar bushings or struts. Any diagnosis tips for either of these? Bushings are cheap, but they seem to be a huge pain to get to. Struts I haven’t done before. Some suggest jacking under the rotor to see if there’s free play in the strut. Is there a how-to around for this one?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi

i think i have the same problem, canadian 2006 coupe 4i EX-L.

It commes from the passenger side, front, and sounds kinda like a cricket when i hit road cracks, etc. Anyone with a solution?

Toaster

·
Registered
172 Posts
Could be the brake pads rattling in the carrier. Try to apply the brakes lightly on a rough road when you would normally get the rattle. New shims and anti rattle clips available for a few dollars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
namegoeshere, thanks for the video link. I went over the car again this weekend using many of the tests he recommends (pushing on the car from different sides, hitting the tires from all angles with a hammer while holding the suspension members), but still haven't located the knock.

I found that I'd undertightened one of the replacement sway bar endlink nuts, and that improved things a little, but I still get the front-end knocking over uneven pavement. If both wheels hit the bump at the same time, it doesn't happen. On bigger bumps, it doesn't seem to happen. But I get it on both sides, if one wheel hits a bump or sharp dip, or entering a driveway at an angle, etc.

LeToaster, mine is more of a hollowish knocking sound rather than a cricket sound. Could yours maybe be the rotor shield rubbing on the rotor?

CJKaz, the brake pads would fit with my problem description. I'll check it out. Otherwise, I'm going to try driving the car with the sway bar disconnected to see if the sound goes away.

t-rd, I'll have a look at the compliance bushings, but it seems like I'd be experiencing handling problems as well if those are bad, and the car handles solidly. But I've noticed some cracks in the rubber bushings, so there might be something there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally took the car to the dealer for diagnosis. The mechanic found that the rattle went away after he disconnected the endlinks and tied the swaybar out of the way, and returned when he reconnected the swaybar.

Diagnosis: worn swaybar bushings. Which is what I hoped it would be, since it's the cheapest repair next to doing the endlinks.

Unfortunately, it's not a repair I can easily do myself on the Accord, since you need to lower the subframe to get at the bushings. In the end, the dealer charged just over $200 for the entire job, most of which was diagnosis labor. I'm kicking myself a little, since I had thought of trying exactly the same diagnostic step as the mechanic used, which would have saved me $115. But the clunk is gone, which is a huge relief.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts