Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been searching the forums for the last several hours researching ipod connectors.

here is what i want....

charges ipod
shows who is playing on oem 6 disc cd player
keep XM!
control ipod from steering wheel controls and ipod itself
doesnt sound like crap....

ive seen serveral different options but cant seem to find the right one....
anybody have one that does all of this and would reccommend it??:dunno:

thanks !

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a USA-SPEC works perfectly for me. I believe it has all the functions you are looking for.
+1 for USA-SPEC.

"charges ipod" - Check
"shows who is playing on oem 6 disc cd player" - Check, but if the song title or artist name is kinda long, then it doesn't scroll to the right to show the whole title, it'll just show the first 12 characters or so. Not much of an annoyance to me, but in my previous car I had a head unit that scrolled the whole title so it's just something I noticed with the USA-SPEC
"keep XM!" - Check
"control ipod from steering wheel controls and ipod itself" - Check
"doesnt sound like crap...." - Check

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 for USA-SPEC.

"charges ipod" - Check
"shows who is playing on oem 6 disc cd player" - Check, but if the song title or artist name is kinda long, then it doesn't scroll to the right to show the whole title, it'll just show the first 12 characters or so. Not much of an annoyance to me, but in my previous car I had a head unit that scrolled the whole title so it's just something I noticed with the USA-SPEC
"keep XM!" - Check
I agree..the USA Spec is a great product and has been great for me since i installed it.

·
Lovin Da Accord
164 Posts
just a quick question on the usa spec everyone is talking about here, does anyone know it it works with the 8th gen accord and does it work with the iphone 4?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just installed the USA Spec PA15-HON2 this past Saturday. It does everything you ask for. It charges my iPhone 3GS, and allows control from the stereo and steering wheel buttons. It has a playlist mode, and direct mode, which lets me use apps like Pandora, or my Navigon navigation app. The coolest part is the navigation voice plays through the speakers and lowers my music temporarily, just like OEM navs, and I still retain control of the iPod function. I don't have XM, but it is compatible and came with a Y connector cable.

I picked this one after contemplating the DICE for about 2 weeks. hillstones, who is probably the most knowledgeable person concerning iPod/aux connectors had a DICE model that started to drain his battery dead over night. It was 3 years old at the time, but I didn't want to take the risk. Since my car didn't have XM, I could get the iSimple kit, which I hear works great for some people and allows for USB firmware updates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
just a quick question on the usa spec everyone is talking about here, does anyone know it it works with the 8th gen accord and does it work with the iphone 4?
I know it works with the iPhone 4, but I can't comment on the compatibility with 8th gen accords.

Try going to http://usaspec.com/ and check the compatibility there but I believe it works with the 8th gens.

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
2,151 Posts
Here you go:

Amazon said:
This review is from: USA-Spec PA15-HON2 Honda to iPod Interface

I just installed it on my Accord EX 2010.
I didn't find any one installed it on 2010 but still went ahead and gave it a try and it was worth a shot.
It works well with iPhone 4 too. Only thing is it doesn't display TEXT, may be because I don't have XM.

·
Motor City
707 Posts
+1 for USA-SPEC.

"charges ipod" - Check
"keep XM!" - Check
+1 from what I have read this is your best outcome :thumbsup:

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
The iSimple is much better than the USASpec, and cheaper too. Far better text display, no limitations on playlist selection, and FULL retention of XM. The USASpec uses XM1 for the iPod, leaving you with XM2 only for XM radio (6 presets). The USASpec only allows you to choose the first 5 playlists. Avoid the Dice Silverline because you must disconnect XM completely if you want text display. The text display from the Dice unit is terrible. Autotoys.com has the iSimple for $117.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The iSimple is much better than the USASpec, and cheaper too. Far better text display, no limitations on playlist selection, and FULL retention of XM. The USASpec uses XM1 for the iPod, leaving you with XM2 only for XM radio (6 presets). The USASpec only allows you to choose the first 5 playlists. Avoid the Dice Silverline because you must disconnect XM completely if you want text display. The text display from the Dice unit is terrible. Autotoys.com has the iSimple for $117.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=16235#thumb

^^ that one? and how hard is the install?

Do either systems come with a stand for the ipod? or?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Direct Play?

So direct playing of selected songs is available with the pa15-hon2? I can pick any song on the ipod and play it? Just confirming because I read previously that only 5 playlists can be played.

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
So direct playing of selected songs is available with the pa15-hon2? I can pick any song on the ipod and play it? Just confirming because I read previously that only 5 playlists can be played.

Thanks
Yes, absolutely. You select Disc 8 on CDC and it allows direct access to your ipod for music or any applications.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, absolutely. You select Disc 8 on CDC and it allows direct access to your ipod for music or any applications.
Sounds good, select these on the Honda radio or on the iPod? My understanding is that once everything is installed I press the CD/Aux button and get access to the iPod. Can I then select disc 8 from there?
What about steering wheel control functionality?

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes, with the adapter connected, pressing CD/Aux will change it to CDC (CD Changer) mode and allows you to use the Disc- and Disc+ buttons to switch to different "discs." For the USA Spec, Disc 8 is the free mode.

·
4,574 Posts
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=16235#thumb

^^ that one? and how hard is the install?

Do either systems come with a stand for the ipod? or?
That is the one. Make sure your stereo is XM Ready. No stand for the iPod, just a standard dock cable. Most people hide their iPods in the vehicle. What year Accord do you have? Installation is nothing more than plugging in two connectors and deciding where to put the iPod.

·
4,574 Posts
Yes, with the adapter connected, pressing CD/Aux will change it to CDC (CD Changer) mode and allows you to use the Disc- and Disc+ buttons to switch to different "discs." For the USA Spec, Disc 8 is the free mode.
Keep in mind that in CD-C mode, you will not have any text display on the stereo from the iPod. Text display is only supported in XM mode, and that applies for any iPod kit that supports text.

·
4,574 Posts
I picked this one after contemplating the DICE for about 2 weeks. Hillstones, who is probably the most knowledgeable person concerning iPod/aux connectors had a DICE model that started to drain his battery dead over night. It was 3 years old at the time, but I didn't want to take the risk.
Confirmed the Dice was killing the battery. Once removed, the battery was no longer dying, and it is doing just fine with the iSimple installed. Something must have gone bad with the Dice module.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i just got the iSimple, its alright... takes some getting used to.
you cant control what you want to hear from your ipod, you have to do it through your radio contols/steering wheel controls

1 - 20 of 62 Posts