Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

Haven't been here in quite awhile but have a question for you pros.

Ds has a 2007 i4, currently 122,000 miles. We purchased it for him @ 100,000 miles and shortly thereafter found it was burning a quart of oil per thousand miles. Since owning, we have never let it get below the bottom hole on the dipstick. In addition, ds has the oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles.

Anyhow, now the timing chain has failed. Stretched according to our trusted mechanic who said this can be a symptom of low oil conditions. I'm pi**ed, this is a costly repair! Do these chains fail often? That was seemingly one of the perks of the i4, chain instead of belt.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Yeah that's why I always keep the oil ABOVE the full mark. If you have decent mechanical skills you could just replace it your self. It's not rocket science

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've read of a few timing chains failing/stretching/skipping a tooth from this forum. Apparently its almost entirely related to low oil...from what I know. For me, that was one of the major advantages of the i4 over the v6... No more $1-$1.5k repair every 100k miles or so. I had a 99 accord with a timing belt. It was upwards of $1200 once for the timing belt. Sold it before my 2nd belt change.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the downside of buying used, we have no idea how this car was maintained by previous owner and how many times he ran it low on oil.

Yeah Chris918, I WISH I could tackle it myself but I'm a she and limit my mechanical skills to pretty simple tasks!

Just wanted to get the word out there, I know many on here have had oil burners. Lookout for those timing chains!

Are you using high milage oil?
I don't think so. Ds takes it to Valvoline for oil changes and we top off with standard 5w20 between changes. I suppose after the new timing chain a switch to high mileage may be in order?

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
You need high milage oil. That's what it's intended for. Leaks or consumption. Depending on how bad your engine is, it may still use oil, not as much, or not at all...

Make sure to tell the guys to use high milage. I don't trust shops. I do my own changes. You could also buy your own oil and let them change it for you.

·
HK Moderator
14,092 Posts
Any car- not just a 4 cylinder Accord, that runs low on oil will suffer some damage to the engine.

When buying used, one should monitor the oil level constantly- in some cases every day, to ensure you don't have an "oil burner". Many members here on Drive Accord urge new owners to do this simple task- as does the owner's manual, but many do not check their oil level.

Did you do your own oil changes- or did you leave that to Jiffy Lube? I ask because sometimes oil change places DON'T actually replace oil, or don't tell you that only 2 quarts drained out when 4.4 quarts should have.

When buying used, there are clues to look for to ensure you are getting a good deal. Service records, the owner's manner, oil in the tail pipe, code readers, burnt oil on the dipstick, dirty spark plugs, a new catalytic converter on a car with fewer than 100,000 miles, heck- even an oil change sticker from 2 years earlier still stuck on the window....all are clues. A pre-purchase inspection at the Honda dealer will cost about $100.

The best clue is "figuring out" the previous owner- preferably one owner.

But back to your points:

1) It is NOT common for four cylinder Accords to have stretched timing chains. Several members here are at 300,000 miles + and are still on their original timing chain with no codes shown.

2) The timing chain job is not impossible for a DIY-er, and you have the luxury of calling around and comparing services and prices from Honda shops and independents. You should get prices from $300 all the way up to $1,000, depending on what they want to replace. You do not have your location listed under your User CP, so I can't help you there.

3) Always check your oil level, and if you discover that you burn oil, try switching to an oil which will burn "less" such as a higher mileage oil or even a "thicker" oil.

Oil burning is happening to all internal combustion gasoline engines. Some, such as Audi and Volkswagon, state that 1 quart every 750 miles is acceptable.

My wealthy doctor buddy has had two new Audi engines (out of the 3 Audis he owns) replaced before the cars had 30,000 miles.

Two-day old Consumer Reports article on NEW cars burning oil:
Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

EDIT: Another buddy has a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis Piece of S--- with a giant engine. It burns about 1 quart every 1,000 miles, and has 170,000 miles on the clock. It still runs BECAUSE he takes it to Jiffy Lube every 2,500 miles. He never checks oil, he wants the car to die so he can buy a new Accord Sport. But because he goes to Jiffy Lube so often (he drives 800 miles a week) he gets fresh oil refilled just when it gets so low he is about to destroy his engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any car- not just a 4 cylinder Accord, that runs low on oil will suffer some damage to the engine.

When buying used, one should monitor the oil level constantly- in some cases every day, to ensure you don't have an "oil burner". Many members here on Drive Accord urge new owners to do this simple task- as does the owner's manual, but many do not check their oil level.

Did you do your own oil changes- or did you leave that to Jiffy Lube? I ask because sometimes oil change places DON'T actually replace oil, or don't tell you that only 2 quarts drained out when 4.4 quarts should have.

When buying used, there are clues to look for to ensure you are getting a good deal. Service records, the owner's manner, oil in the tail pipe, code readers, burnt oil on the dipstick, dirty spark plugs, a new catalytic converter on a car with fewer than 100,000 miles, heck- even an oil change sticker from 2 years earlier still stuck on the window....all are clues. A pre-purchase inspection at the Honda dealer will cost about $100.

The best clue is "figuring out" the previous owner- preferably one owner.

But back to your points:

1) It is NOT common for four cylinder Accords to have stretched timing chains. Several members here are at 300,000 miles + and are still on their original timing chain with no codes shown.

2) The timing chain job is not impossible for a DIY-er, and you have the luxury of calling around and comparing services and prices from Honda shops and independents. You should get prices from $300 all the way up to $1,000, depending on what they want to replace. You do not have your location listed under your User CP, so I can't help you there.

3) Always check your oil level, and if you discover that you burn oil, try switching to an oil which will burn "less" such as a higher mileage oil or even a "thicker" oil.

Oil burning is happening to all internal combustion gasoline engines. Some, such as Audi and Volkswagon, state that 1 quart every 750 miles is acceptable.

My wealthy doctor buddy has had two new Audi engines (out of the 3 Audis he owns) replaced before the cars had 30,000 miles.

Two-day old Consumer Reports article on NEW cars burning oil:
Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

EDIT: Another buddy has a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis Piece of S--- with a giant engine. It burns about 1 quart every 1,000 miles, and has 170,000 miles on the clock. It still runs BECAUSE he takes it to Jiffy Lube every 2,500 miles. He never checks oil, he wants the car to die so he can buy a new Accord Sport. But because he goes to Jiffy Lube so often (he drives 800 miles a week) he gets fresh oil refilled just when it gets so low he is about to destroy his engine.
We purchased the car used from Valley Honda in Naperville, Il. they had some service records as the previous owner purchased it new from them. No real oil change history though, assuming (hoping) he either did it himself or done elsewhere.

As stated previously, son has oil changed at a local Valvoline shop, never more than 4000 miles between changes in addition to the 2-3 quarts we end up adding between changes. Car has never been more than a quart low since we have owned it, I did start monitoring it when we purchased it. I did change pcv valve early on also.

Our mechanic has quoted us 1200- for the job. This includes the whole "kit' with guides,tensioner and whatever else. He could have done it piecemeal for less but I chose to just have it all dealt with rather than running the risk of having to go back in there. Hopefully that was the right choice.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
That's the downside of buying used, we have no idea how this car was maintained by previous owner and how many times he ran it low on oil.

Yeah Chris918, I WISH I could tackle it myself but I'm a she and limit my mechanical skills to pretty simple tasks!

Just wanted to get the word out there, I know many on here have had oil burners. Lookout for those timing chains!

I don't think so. Ds takes it to Valvoline for oil changes and we top off with standard 5w20 between changes. I suppose after the new timing chain a switch to high mileage may be in order?
So because you're female that means you can't do the job? That has NOTHING to do with it. With youtube and this forum you could rebuild the transmission if you wanted to. Male/female means nothing.

What most likely happened was the oil got low, and the hydraulic timing chain tensioner ran dry, allowing the chain to skip sprocket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So because you're female that means you can't do the job? That has NOTHING to do with it. With youtube and this forum you could rebuild the transmission if you wanted to. Male/female means nothing.

What most likely happened was the oil got low, and the hydraulic timing chain tensioner ran dry, allowing the chain to skip sprocket.
Ha ha, tough crowd here! No, you are absolutely correct I could (probably) figure it out but honestly....... I don't want to! And before you say it :wink ds is a full time college student with a full time job, he'd never have the time (he does get to pay for the repair though!)

Geez, don't even start about me rebuilding the transmission. That's why I avoided the v6 :grin

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Ha ha, tough crowd here! No, you are absolutely correct I could (probably) figure it out but honestly....... I don't want to! And before you say it :wink ds is a full time college student with a full time job, he'd never have the time (he does get to pay for the repair though!)

Geez, don't even start about me rebuilding the transmission. That's why I avoided the v6 :grin
Fair enough. At least you're smart :grin

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I hope this never happens to my Accord. Mine consumes some oil as well....I check the level every week and top off if necessary, never letting it get low. Since I've already replaced my catalytic converter, I suspect the previous owner did not check his oil.

It's worse in the cold winter seasons....

·
Registered
639 Posts
Some, such as Audi and Volkswagon, state that 1 quart every 750 miles is acceptable.
While certainly not yet convinced that this is reasonable, I can believe it's a possibility. That, of course, assumes the engine is designed to run that way. But I can't help but wonder if the excessive-by-non-German-standards oil consumption is related to the carbon build-up problems the same makes have suffered with on their direct-injected engines.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,459 Posts
Whenever you are buying used, you have to do a thorough inspection. My niece had a brand new Accord and I happened to check the oil while she was visiting, and it was more than a quart low. It hadn't even had the first oil change yet. Some people just don't check their fluid levels. I know she doesn't know much about cars, but I told her she HAS TO CHECK HER OIL LEVEL! She just blew me off, and didn't seem to care. You don't want to buy a used car from someone like this. The car was totaled in an accident a year or so later, before she could kill it with neglect. Now she is neglecting a 2013 Accord lease. Some people just put the gas in and go, and assume everything else is fine, till something breaks.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,459 Posts
One of our best master techs is a girl.
Oh don't think it's just because she's a girl, because her two brothers were just as ignorant about cars at her age. None of them bought their own first car, or sometimes second car. Their father has always taken care of maintenance on their cars. Too bad now dad lives in another state, so that's hard on their cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts