Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a deck lid spoiler and like many others, do not really want to drill holes in the trunk. For those who have used just the 3m tape, hows it holding up so far thru the winter?

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Yup, through sub-freezing temperatures in New England. It would not budge even if you put a lot of weight on it with my hand. I installed it in Spring of last year.

·
2013 EX-L 2.4 sedan white
46 Posts
I've been thinking about a deck lid spoiler and like many others, do not really want to drill holes in the trunk. For those who have used just the 3m tape, hows it holding up so far thru the winter?
Use tape, don't worry. Spoiler is hold normally, i know lots of examples. Bought it, at the weekend will put.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use tape, don't worry. Spoiler is hold normally, i know lots of examples. Bought it, at the weekend will put.
Appreciate the feedback everybody. I believe my side moldings have the factory tape and they are holding very well. Looks like 3-m will work for me. Accord-russia, please post a photo of yours when you do it if you can. I've read the threads on the forum and have some good idea about a self install.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. And what idea?
In an older thread, if I remember it was listed as a diy spoiler, the poster had some good photos of how to use the tape. It was in long sections on the inside of a tiny lip where the factory tape was originally. The way he had it taped it looked pretty easy to use and was spread out enough to make what looked like maximum adhesion.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
I got it a Home Depot stores and it holds fine. On my BMW I tested it to 160mph+ on a race track with only the 3m tape. Double thumbs up

·
2013 EX-L 2.4 sedan white
46 Posts
In an older thread, if I remember it was listed as a diy spoiler, the poster had some good photos of how to use the tape. It was in long sections on the inside of a tiny lip where the factory tape was originally. The way he had it taped it looked pretty easy to use and was spread out enough to make what looked like maximum adhesion.
Made it myself yesterday, but sorry i was short of time and couldn't make any photos of process. Here is just a result. Keeps very hard and I hope it'll stand our winter. Used the tape with acrylic, not 3M.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
^ Krasota! Vy na avtomoike?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made it myself yesterday, but sorry i was short of time and couldn't make any photos of process. Here is just a result. Keeps very hard and I hope it'll stand our winter. Used the tape with acrylic, not 3M.
Very nice! It looks great with the ***. My spoiler is currently in the trunk waiting for good weather with no rain for the install.

·
2014 Sport
49 Posts
The tape they use for gopro is the strongest tape to use, I forgot the exact model tape number but google search it! That thing is unbreakable! Trust me I know. Three years later and my window rear visor is still stuck on. The main key for it to last is the prep work, which is alcohol wipe the surface it is attaching too. Good luck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tape they use for gopro is the strongest tape to use, I forgot the exact model tape number but google search it! That thing is unbreakable! Trust me I know. Three years later and my window rear visor is still stuck on. The main key for it to last is the prep work, which is alcohol wipe the surface it is attaching too. Good luck!
Thanks, I purchased the 70% alcohol at the time I picked up the tape. Looks like the weather may be clearing up enough to put it on. At least the sun is shinning anyway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We finally have a trend of warm weather and no rain in sight so I cleaned the application area real well with the alcohol and pressed the lip into place. The tails of the tape were pulled off and done. I can tell you from just this quick installation, it's not going anywhere! Solid as a rock. I just went out after two hours of sitting and it's exactly as I left it, tight and no wiggle room. I left it out in the sun and it will bake for an hour before the sun drops down. I'll check it again before nightfall, but I'd expect the same thing. I'll definitely give it a few days before any water will be introduced but I'd suspect, it's on there for the long haul. The body side moldings that the dealer installed have been on the car for about six months with the factory adhesive tape, still tight as a drum. If it was the same tape used on the lip when I purchased it the 3M covers 3X the area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger but not sure if it will have a clean look...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger but not sure if it will have a clean look...
I think it looks just like so many of the others here who have posted photos. All the sports have them. Mine looks just like accord-russia's white one. You can always remove it if you use the 3M tape, not so if your drilling holes, you can take it off but you'd have to deal with the holes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts