Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Fuel Additives Anyone Would Recommend? Im not like a lot of you with the <70,000 Mile Cars, i hear quality ones can provide cleaning benefits where as the cheaper ones, not so much. but ive also seen reviews saying the $1.50 Cleaner from Walmart worked well. Has anyone used any of these?

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,217 Posts
I use Chevron Techron about once a year. It will smooth out a slightly rough idle in just a few miles. It has worked well for me for decades. I add the 20-gallon dose to a 16-gallon tank then fill up.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Anything that uses Techron is good. I have also heard good things about BG 44k.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use Chevron Techron about once a year. It will smooth out a slightly rough idle in just a few miles. It has worked well for me for decades. I add the 20-gallon dose to a 16-gallon tank then fill up.
I dump one in with each engine oil change.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive tire Automotive care Font Magenta Automotive cleaning

Anything that uses Techron is good. I have also heard good things about BG 44k.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
This one is 15 gallons for $8, is this the one?

·
8th Gen Believer
4,870 Posts
I just use top tier gas 100%

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,566 Posts
IMO no fuel additives. If you want to use one that may actually do something, Techron is the way to go. Otherwise just use TopTier gas.

But I will tell you, I've almost never used a fuel additive in either of my Hondas and years + many miles later the fuel efficiency is still great and the engine still runs fantastic. I just use Costco gas the vast majority of the time or some other TopTier gas. Nothing special at all.

The only time I would suggest a fuel additive like Techron is if you're trying to combat a massive VCM issue after disabling VCM. That's the one case where some Techron can help accelerate the process.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO no fuel additives. If you want to use one that may actually do something, Techron is the way to go. Otherwise just use TopTier gas.

But I will tell you, I've almost never used a fuel additive in either of my Hondas and years + many miles later the fuel efficiency is still great and the engine still runs fantastic. I just use Costco gas the vast majority of the time or some other TopTier gas. Nothing special at all.

The only time I would suggest a fuel additive like Techron is if you're trying to combat a massive VCM issue after disabling VCM. That's the one case where some Techron can help accelerate the process.
Is some Station better than any other? i use Samsclub When im in the next town over or a Station local to the few states around me since its always cheaper than the two right next to it. i don't have any issues, i don't think im even burning oil at 182,000 i just figured it may be good to use. i get 10mpg but thats due to my roof box and only small town driving aka constant stops to turn

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Is some Station better than any other? i use Samsclub When im in the next town over or a Station local to the few states around me since its always cheaper than the two right next to it. i don't have any issues, i don't think im even burning oil at 182,000 i just figured it may be good to use. i get 10mpg but thats due to my roof box and only small town driving aka constant stops to turn
As long as it's TopTier it does not really matter, pick whichever one you want based on whatever factors you want (price, location, etc.).

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Eh, I don't mind using E10. Not like these cars weren't made to accept it. E15 is a different story and I would not want to use it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As long as it's TopTier it does not really matter, pick whichever one you want based on whatever factors you want (price, location, etc.).
i guess im supposed to look at TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands Samsclub and the local station is not on the list, so i guess im just using basic gas that doesn't already have additives, so for the $8 should i just get the Chevron Techron 15 gal complete fuel cleaner Concentrate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want fuel with Techron already added, buy Shell brand gas. Top Tier and Techron additive advertised right on the pump. Around here, Shell is the same price as the basic gas across the street. Switching from basic to Shell gas cleared up running problems with a Toyota I owned years ago. If I can't buy Shell, then any other Top Tier is my next choice.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
In some cases I've seen in my area that Shell can be close to a dollar more than places like Costco.

I personally do not believe in using fuel additives if you don't have a problem so I don't mind using regular TopTier gas.

·
Registered
2004 i4 5AT 4dr
78 Posts
If you want fuel with Techron already added, buy Shell brand gas. Top Tier and Techron additive advertised right on the pump. Around here, Shell is the same price as the basic gas across the street. Switching from basic to Shell gas cleared up running problems with a Toyota I owned years ago. If I can't buy Shell, then any other Top Tier is my next choice.
but Shell contains these fuel additives in 87 grade fuel? Or is it only in supreme gas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've used a number of top tier gasolines but regardless my car always benefitted from A fuel additive.

I've been using Seafoam in My Accord and my Wife's Mazda once every 3 months. I'll put it in when the oil is changed and again a few months later.

It always results in improved fuel consumption.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've used a number of top tier gasolines but regardless my car always benefitted from A fuel additive.

I've been using Seafoam in My Accord and my Wife's Mazda once every 3 months. I'll put it in when the oil is changed and again a few months later.

It always results in improved fuel consumption.
I forgot about seafoam and never looked how it's used. Looks like oil or fuel, I already just changed the oil today so maybe I'll add that to the fuel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts