Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to post here as more activity and no response in the sub forum.

I have two work 18's 7.5 wide and +42

Would I run into any issues running rims that are 7.5Jx18+48 ?

I have a very basic understanding of offset from reading the forums but was just hoping someone could help me out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Except for the fact that you can’t rotate staggered wheels. You’ll go through tires fast.
Yeah I was figuring that would be the case but I am in a tough spot as I love the rims but just can't find them out.

Been searching trying to find pictures of if it will be noticeable or not so was thinking put the lower offset up front?

Thanks for you comments as well, I appreciate it.

·
^^vv<><>BA
11,921 Posts
Except for the fact that you can’t rotate staggered wheels.
Yes, you can They're both 18x7.5. There will be no issues rotating the wheels front to back.

The only difference is the offset. And it's just 6mm.

Run both +48 in front and both +42 in back. When you need to rotate, put both +42 up front and both +48 in the back. There won't be any problems except appearance. When the +42 wheels are up front, they'll stick out a teeny tiny bit more than the +48 wheels which will look a bit sunken in. If appearance bothers you, put a 5mm or 10mm spacer in the rear with the +48 wheels.

When you need to rotate again, remove the rear spacers if you have any, put both +42 wheels in the back and both +48 wheels up front.

You’ll go through tires fast.
Fast? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, you can They're both 18x7.5. There will be no issues rotating the wheels front to back.

The only difference is the offset. And it's just 6mm.

Run both +48 in front and both +42 in back. When you need to rotate, put both +42 up front and both +48 in the back. There won't be any problems except appearance. When the +42 wheels are up front, they'll stick out a teeny tiny bit more than the +48 wheels which will look a bit sunken in. If appearance bothers you, put a 5mm or 10mm spacer in the rear with the +48 wheels.

When you need to rotate again, remove the rear spacers if you have any, put both +42 wheels in the back and both +48 wheels up front.

Fast? :ROFLMAO:
Awesome, thanks for the info. Will go get them now. They are the work emotion kai in matte gunmetal so should be good on the accord:)

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,586 Posts
I was reading staggered as in different sizes, not just offsets. I should follow along more closely. Yes, without rotating tires you’ll be lucky to get 20K out of the set, especially with the camber in the rear and the weight in the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was reading staggered as in different sizes, not just offsets. I should follow along more closely. Yes, without rotating tires you’ll be lucky to get 20K out of the set, especially with the camber in the rear and the weight in the front.
Why wouldn't I be able to rotate between front to back ( both done at same time ) and if there was uneven wear on one side I could swap left for right as they'd still be matched offsets couldn't I?

So the sizes are the same at 18x7.5 just offset is different between the two pairs with one at +42 and one at +48

·
^^vv<><>BA
11,921 Posts
I was reading staggered as in different sizes, not just offsets.
You can rotate staggered wheels of different sizes too as long as they have enough clearance.

If you have 18x7.5 +45 front and 18x8.5 +40 rear, it is absolutely possible to put the 18x8.5 +40 up front and the 18x7.5 +45 in the rear.

If you have 18x7.5 +45 front and 19x8.5 +40 rear, again, no problem rotating these front to back and back to front.

It'll just look odd when the front wheels are wider or larger in diameter than the rear wheels. Some people actually do this reversed staggered setup on purpose.

Front: 245/40/17
Rear: 205/50/16

Front: 17x9 +22
Rear: 17x8 +35

Yes, without rotating tires you’ll be lucky to get 20K out of the set, especially with the camber in the rear and the weight in the front.
Too many factors to make a blanket statement like that ("lucky to get 20K out of the set"). And camber doesn't really reduce tire life in a significant way as long as it's not ridiculous.

My rear camber is -2.0° and I'm running Max Performance Summer tires with a UTQG of 280 (average life is 25K miles). I've put 20K on them and they're at 6/32" (half worn). No irregular or faster than normal wear from the -2.0° camber because my toe setting is at 0.0°

·
Honda Enthusiast
1,586 Posts
As long as the tires aren’t directional, they can be rotated side to side but in any case treadwear will be less on the set for a staggered setup. Front to back can be done IF there is clearance (there shouldn’t be, the whole reason of staggering sizes is to maximize the size to the location on the car) but will look silly. If I staggered wheels, the whole point is to be flush with the rear as the rear track is narrower, and I would never put those on the front. That defeats the whole point. Just buy four identical wheels for a proper rotation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as the tires aren’t directional, they can be rotated side to side but in any case treadwear will be less on the set for a staggered setup. Front to back can be done IF there is clearance (there shouldn’t be, the whole reason of staggering sizes is to maximize the size to the location on the car) but will look silly. If I staggered wheels, the whole point is to be flush with the rear as the rear track is narrower, and I would never put those on the front. That defeats the whole point. Just buy four identical wheels for a proper rotation.
I have tried and haven't been able to find the same offset for the rims and they stopped making the rims abbout 7 years ago.

If the offest is +6 difference between the +42 and the +48 but everything else is identical would it look a huge difference between the front and the back. The above posted images were wider wheels, or taller and wider tires which isn't a look that I am fond of.

Thanks again for the help and pictures.

You can rotate staggered wheels of different sizes too as long as they have enough clearance.

If you have 18x7.5 +45 front and 18x8.5 +40 rear, it is absolutely possible to put the 18x8.5 +40 up front and the 18x7.5 +45 in the rear.

If you have 18x7.5 +45 front and 19x8.5 +40 rear, again, no problem rotating these front to back and back to front.

It'll just look odd when the front wheels are wider or larger in diameter than the rear wheels. Some people actually do this reversed staggered setup on purpose.

Front: 245/40/17
Rear: 205/50/16

View attachment 515784

Front: 17x9 +22
Rear: 17x8 +35

View attachment 515786

Too many factors to make a blanket statement like that ("lucky to get 20K out of the set"). And camber doesn't really reduce tire life in a significant way as long as it's not ridiculous.

View attachment 515787

My rear camber is -2.0° and I'm running Max Performance Summer tires with a UTQG of 280 (average life is 25K miles). I've put 20K on them and they're at 6/32" (half worn). No irregular or faster than normal wear from the -2.0° camber because my toe setting is at 0.0°
Yeah I am not a fan of those types of setups in the first couple pictures. But in my case rims will both be 18x7.5 just one pair has offset that is a little more .

Nice car if that is yours at the end

1 - 11 of 11 Posts