Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
For suspensions-go performance or go Honda . Not sure if I trust aftermarket stuff for suspension for these cars. I’m a manager in auto parts and so far all I see is remanufactured garbage. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
For suspensions-go performance or go Honda . Not sure if I trust aftermarket stuff for suspension for these cars. I’m a manager in auto parts and so far all I see is remanufactured garbage. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You very well may be right, not just for 9th gen Accords but 6th too. I gave my '98 LX to my youngest son. It died with 246,000 on it it when the ball joints and the right front axle gave out. I've often wondered if the ball joints and/or the CV joint, both of which were replaced at some time along the way, were not up to Honda OEM standards. Too bad. The son really wanted to get to at least 250,000. It was a sweet car with a MT. I found myself missing it the other day.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,192 Posts
If you chose to go with aftermarket, make sure to understand that oem is sealed ball joint, maintenance free. so, if you bought serviceable ball joint, make sure grease is added to the ball joint periodically to prolong its reliability. Also note that some of B/A ball joints are made in Japan, and that, to me, is a high quality ball joint. Another note, a high quality ball joint will have 555 stamped on the unit. There are other aspects of the internal component parts used, but if you get 'Made in Japan' and 555 stamp, you should be on the safe side; unless the ball joint was made of kobe steel, then either oem or aftermarket is questionable.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went with OEM Ball joints to have piece of mind and be on the safe side.

Was going to do the job tomorrow but to my surprise that "Free" loaner tool thing is Not Free! You have to leave the price of the tool set you need then after 90days if you need that long when you return the tool you get your money back. Plus they don't have the Honda adapters you need so I will have to buy them.

Maybe I can find a combined set?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,400 Posts
Here's a trick I used on my 03 Accord to break the ball joint loose. Worked like a charm, just like the video. I loosened the nut, but left it on the bottom of the threads, jacked the suspension up just enough to get the ratchet handle in, released the jack, then pushed down with my foot on the top of the rotor. Popped it right off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You very well may be right, not just for 9th gen Accords but 6th too. I gave my '98 LX to my youngest son. It died with 246,000 on it it when the ball joints and the right front axle gave out. I've often wondered if the ball joints and/or the CV joint, both of which were replaced at some time along the way, were not up to Honda OEM standards. Too bad. The son really wanted to get to at least 250,000. It was a sweet car with a MT. I found myself missing it the other day.
I had a 97 SE that I bought new. We have a second home on a river, and during floods I had to drive through about 4 inches of water. Little by little it got to the ball joints and I almost replaced them all.

·
Chicago
1,024 Posts
So I went with OEM Ball joints to have piece of mind and be on the safe side.

Was going to do the job tomorrow but to my surprise that "Free" loaner tool thing is Not Free! You have to leave the price of the tool set you need then after 90days if you need that long when you return the tool you get your money back. Plus they don't have the Honda adapters you need so I will have to buy them.

Maybe I can find a combined set?
?? I borrowed ball joint press set from AutoZone for 2 days, except they charged me $150-ish when I got the tool, and refunded 2 days later. It's is free.

Yeah, you do need Honda cups, no such combined set that includes Honda cups, unless you are open to grind off the stud and hammer it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts