Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a coolant drain on my to-do list and was wondering if there is any reason why I should not use this coolant. It's a concentrate so I would simply add distilled water. Save about $28. Not a money issue, just asking if it's not a good idea.

·
HK Moderator
14,090 Posts
I have no idea what the heck you are asking. How the Sam Hill do you save $28? Honda coolant is about $18 a gallon- no distilled water needed. To do a drain and fill, you would need about 1.3 gallons, so you will have to purchase two containers. That is about $36.

The stuff you linked to is $20 a gallon....that's $40 total using the new math.

Then again, you don't bother to have your location listed under your username, so perhaps you are in Somalia where they charge much more money for Honda coolant. If that is so, then no worries. But because you don't have your location listed, I can't make an informed judgement as to if your costs are a good idea or not.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,459 Posts
If money isn't the issue, why take a chance? You know Honda coolant will mix well with the Honda coolant left inside the block. I doubt you'll save all that much anyway.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chill man, your obviously having a bad day. I simply asked a question. Yes, Honda coolant is about $25 by me, here in Somalia. Still need to buy two gallons. That's $50. With the other no name stuff, I only need one gallon as I believe it's a concentrate and you add your own water.

Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Repeat.

And BTW, a simple yes or no would have sufficed.

If money isn't the issue, why take a chance? You know Honda coolant will mix well with the Honda coolant left inside the block. I doubt you'll save all that much anyway.
Thank you. That's all I wanted to know. Unlike the previous poster you sir, are a gentleman.

Greetings from Somalia.

·
HK Moderator
14,090 Posts
I'll take a deep breath...you read the label and brush up on your basic math skills. Deal?

You asked if it is a good deal or not. How the heck should anyone know that? You said you would save $28. Again, which country are you in that you would save $28, and have access to distilled water??? Oh, I see that you confirmed that you are in Somalia- in which case you have bigger problems than a zero tax rate and a radiator drain and fill.

For those members living in the United States, two gallons of perfectly pre-mixed Honda coolant would be under $40.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Personally, I'd use the Honda Coolant. Going aftermarket is not worth the risk in this case. After doing research of my own I've decided it is in the best interest of my car to go Honda OEM on all fluids except brake. I'll spend a few more bucks for piece of mind. So far I've done Coolant, Power Steering, and MTF with the Honda fluids, and am glad I've gone that route. I take manufacturer recommendations with a grain of salt, but again, after doing some research it seems Honda has good reason to promote their fluids.Good luck.

·
Reflections Auto Detail
1,247 Posts
Somalia, where it's "Talk Like A Pirate Day" every day. :devil:laugh

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I was a bit curious and had some time to kill. Seems the OEM Premium Extended Life brand coolant sold by Pep Boys is made by Recochem. Our Honda brand name 50/50 blue coolant is made by Old World Industries, the makers of Peak. Recochem makes a number of different coolants under the OEM Premium brand. Here's their product line.

Don't know if I'll start using it, as there is something to be said for a product that lasts 13 years without any maintenance whatsoever (Honda brand, which I believe was originally green in the early 2003 models)

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Honda coolant is about $20 a gallon and you'd need two gallons for a complete replacement. This coolant you listed is about the same price, but is a concentrate, unlike pre-mixed OEM. Mixed 50/50 with distilled water, it would yield two gallons, so you'd be saving about $20. Seems to be ok stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts