Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The complaints I remember about it were the cameras didn't always come on and the rear camera didn't have the assist lines.

Supposedly the latest firmware fixes these issues.

Does anyone here have any recent experience with it?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I’m curious about this too. I bought all the stuff to relocate my head unit to the trunk but haven’t had the time or motivation to finish the project. Been halfway hoping a better aftermarket solution would come along in the mean time!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that, but it's from June 2016.
I contacted support and supposedly the issues mentioned in the replies have been fixed.

A few people on this forum have this unit so hopefully they are still around and can report any new news.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OP, I'm still using my Metra kit (have it since Oct 2017). I've pasted below one of my post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Metra 99-7804HG has been stable for me (so far) after the 1.4 firmware update. I was following a few threads here at DA that included your experience. I was on-the-fence on burying my HU behind the dash, so I took the gamble to go with the Metra kit. It took me awhile to order the Metra kit as I wanted the piano black trim version for the 2016 Sport. I ended up ordering from VolAudio on eBay.

A few things that I wanted to note here regarding the Metra kit.

1. The MENU interface becomes hard to navigate if the dimmer mode is on. I don't really have the need to mess with the settings while I drive during the evening.
2. The CLOCK mode should include the ANALOG version. I have yet to ask Metra support if they would even give me a custom firmware to have this enabled (realy doubt it).

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Metra 99-7804HG has been stable for me (so far) after the 1.4 firmware update.
Wait, "HG"?? Looked this up and see that it seems like it's the same kit but with piano black trim instead of the silver and black. Wonder if that would look better in my 2014 Accord? Is that the only difference?

Also, don't go by what's on Metra's site. They show the wrong picture on their site. Here's what I think is the correct picture in this auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-99-7804HG-2013-Up-Dash-and-Wiring-Vehicle-Mounting-Kit-for-Honda-Accord-/272677146092

·
Registered
38 Posts
timeshifter,

I believe that's the only difference with the "HG" was the piano black trim. This kit appears to be hard to find, and was only able to buy it from VolAudio's eBay store.

The "HG" version was what I was looking for to match the 2016-2017 Accord Sport piano black interior accents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I talked to Crutchfield on Friday, they're going to find out if they can special order the HG kit.
Ha, I just did the same thing today. They're supposed to get back to me this week. Maybe if we harass them enough they'll stock it. My advisor was surprised they didn't already.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Crutchfield called back on Monday and told me they could get me the HG kit and that they'll likely start stocking it. He did seem to indicate it wasn't really black on black. I think he's confused by the stupid pic on Metra's site. I talked to Metra and the sales guy laughed / was embarrassed that the pic was wrong.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quoting from a different thread (I think this is a better thread for continued discussion, as the OP on that one didn't end up installing the Metra kit)
2017 Accord Sport Stereo install with Metra 99-7804
So I called Metra tech support yesterday about the problems the 99-7804b used to have. I spoke to Jay and he said that the old kits were all recalled from their vendors. He explained that the board on the Axxess module was completely redesigned. Then the 99-7804b was released again. He explained that all of the problems were addressed and sent me a pdf showing exactly what will and won't intergrate with the new kit. Also that you can tell the new kit from the old one because the new Axxess box is square and the old one was retangular. Just in case you buy it from an unauthorized retailer. So you don't run into the same old problems if you got a retangular Axxess module. He explained places like Crutchfield & Volunteer Audio would only have the new kits. There prices happen to be the best too at $349.99 with free shipping. If you buy a radio from Crutchfield they will knock $50 off the kit making it $299.99 with free shipping (Call Cody there he's very knowledgable). Where Sonic Electronix charges $445 for the new kit. I'll post the pdf for the new 99-7804b kit. Also the new square module and the old retangular module pictures so you can compare them. I'm going to take the plunge and buy the new kit. Hope this helps you guys out!
As I mentioned I called Metra too and talked to Rafael. He didn't seem to know anything about any redesign other that to say there had been firmware updates. A small part of me doesn't believe what you were told about the module being redesigned. I guess I'd feel better if I could verify that the control box is physically different now.

I looked at a review on Youtube from May 2015 of an install.

The box in that video looks like the box in the Crutchfield listing. But that may be just old photography floating around.

I think I'm ready to take the plunge now if I can a) that the new module really is different and b) decide which color - the 99-7804B with the silver trim or the 99-7804HG with the black trim.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good news: Crutchfield now lists the 99-7804HG on their site.
Bad news: I think they've got the wrong picture and description.

I chatted and had an email conversation with Crutchfield yesterday about the 99-7804B vs 99-7804HG and got nowhere. Today I called and the sales rep I spoke to understood the discrepancies and will talk to the product people tomorrow and get back to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just installed my Alpine iLX-207 with the Metra 99-7804hg in my 2017 Sport. So far everything that is supposed to work is functioning perfectly. First attempt to install the screen was flickering and volume wasn't working correctly. Updated firmware from 1.50 to 1.70 and hooked back up and works as advertised.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just installed my Alpine iLX-207 with the Metra 99-7804hg in my 2017 Sport. So far everything that is supposed to work is functioning perfectly. First attempt to install the screen was flickering and volume wasn't working correctly. Updated firmware from 1.50 to 1.70 and hooked back up and works as advertised.
Thanks for that feedback!

So was your control module square or rectangular?

Where did you get your stuff?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Crutchfield called me back and said I was right, the 99-7804HG is black on black. Their site still doesn't reflect it. As I was closing a bunch of browser tabs I noticed that Metra has sorta fixed the listing on their site. A bullet point in the description used to read:

"Painted two-tone to match factory dash. High gloss black with silver accent."

Now it reads:

"Painted two-tone to match factory dash, matte black with a high gloss accent."

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the B version installed a couple of years ago. I'm about to update the firmware from 1.0 to the newest. Will let you know what happens. Hoping for gridlines and all that jazz.

Where can I get the firmware update? Do I just contact Metra or is there a link somewhere?

edit: Would love to get satellite radio back too. Is there something special I have to do?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts