Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I just bought a 2017 Honda Accord Sport, and I am interested in trying out the Metra Kit. Any recommendations on tools and parts needed or install tips? I have installed car stereo equipment in the past, just want to make sure I am not getting ahead of myself. Any help would be appreciated! Also, miker104 I live in the Corona area and wanted your thoughts on purchasing through Pacific Stereo in Riverside?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been purchasing all of my car audio from Pacific Stereo for the last 15 years. They will, without a doubt stand behind anything they sell/install.
Unless you're getting a super friend discount somewhere, I'm pretty sure they'll beat anyone selling authorized product. I sound like a salesman, but really do recommend them. As far as the Metra Kit just make sure you update it with the latest firmware. Ask for Joe let him know what you want to do and he'll get you all the right parts. I had them install mine, but pretty sure I could have done it myself. ll
So, I just bought a 2017 Honda Accord Sport, and I am interested in trying out the Metra Kit. Any recommendations on tools and parts needed or install tips? I have installed car stereo equipment in the past, just want to make sure I am not getting ahead of myself. Any help would be appreciated! Also, miker104 I live in the Corona area and wanted your thoughts on purchasing through Pacific Stereo in Riverside?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been purchasing all of my car audio from Pacific Stereo for the last 15 years. They will, without a doubt stand behind anything they sell/install.
Unless you're getting a super friend discount somewhere, I'm pretty sure they'll beat anyone selling authorized product. I sound like a salesman, but really do recommend them. As far as the Metra Kit just make sure you update it with the latest firmware. Ask for Joe let him know what you want to do and he'll get you all the right parts. I had them install mine, but pretty sure I could have done it myself. ll
Thanks @miker104! I am planning on doing the install myself, as I enjoy the process. I may still give Joe a call and ask him some questions. I plan on documenting the install to help out others who may want to do it on their own, but would like all the advice I could get. Are you able to post any pictures or videos of the results? There isn't very much out there, and it would be nice to see the end product and how it functions. Also, could you explain the firmware upgrade process that you took? If anyone else could share advice or thoughts that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks @miker104! I am planning on doing the install myself, as I enjoy the process. I may still give Joe a call and ask him some questions. I plan on documenting the install to help out others who may want to do it on their own, but would like all the advice I could get. Are you able to post any pictures or videos of the results? There isn't very much out there, and it would be nice to see the end product and how it functions. Also, could you explain the firmware upgrade process that you took? If anyone else could share advice or thoughts that would be greatly appreciated!

Dam I'm horrible at making videos!?. If you guy's have any function you'd like to see let me know and I'll make another video.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I never used it with the factory radio, and I'm pretty sure it's not available on the Metra Kit.
Not good. I'm not paying over $350 for a clock, access to settings that we never touch and a backup camera with clunky guidelines. We ride with the current trip on all the time, my sister is very conscious when it comes to gas. And that doesn't include the steering wheel controls. Does the kit integrates with the PAC SWI-CP5? I was checking that one and it supports the phone buttons, something I've been reading in DIYMA doesn't work very well with the Axxess SWC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah that is a lot of money, but the only other option is to bury the head unit which I'm not really fond of myself. The Axxess SWC work perfectly. I've heard the PAC is also good but, their's lag in the functions.

I never used it with the factory radio, and I'm pretty sure it's not available on the Metra Kit.
Not good. I'm not paying over $350 for a clock, access to settings that we never touch and a backup camera with clunky guidelines. We ride with the current trip on all the time, my sister is very conscious when it comes to gas. And that doesn't include the steering wheel controls. Does the kit integrates with the PAC SWI-CP5? I was checking that one and it supports the phone buttons, something I've been reading in DIYMA doesn't work very well with the Axxess SWC.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Yeah that is a lot of money, but the only other option is to bury the head unit which I'm not really fond of myself. The Axxess SWC work perfectly. I've heard the PAC is also good but, their's lag in the functions.
I'm fine with burying it as long as everything works and there is no bugs like what I'm reading around. Plus this car has been around for 5 years. That's plenty of time for it to be working to perfection. I guess no adapter will work to perfection.

Same with a Maestro kit for a 2013 VW Golf R. It had some not so serious quirks that made an almost excelent kit and a Kenwood 9904s an annoyance to operate. The adaptive volume was impossible to turn off from the maestro or the kenwood, not getting sound from time to time and having to shut off the car to get it working again. Tried just the included t harness but the idea of the maestro box was to keep the factory amps, door ringers, AC settings in the head unit and vehicle settings. Most of it didnt work either, so returned it and just kept the head unit and lost the rest of the integration. That Kenwood head unit makes the Dynaudio factory speakers shine.

Good thing Crutchfield has excelent return policy. Might order one of these metra kits and if she cant bear the fact that Fuel menu is gone, I'll just return it and keep looking where to find the other kit some user installed here. By the way, can't seem to find that post anymore, am I doing something wrong looking for it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found an unofficial patch, and now my manual transmission car has the backup camera too. But it looks so dim compared to the one pictured in this thread. For others who've installed this kit, did you have to play with any settings to make your display bright enough to see?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found an unofficial patch, and now my manual transmission car has the backup camera too. But it looks so dim compared to the one pictured in this thread. For others who've installed this kit, did you have to play with any settings to make your display bright enough to see?

So what I ended up doing is setting my vehicle to 2013-2014 instead of 2015 in the settings of the metra kit. I drive a CVT 2015 Sport. It is now September and I still haven’t had a single issue with the metra kit since February when I installed it. I never updated it either when I received it from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I’ve had this Metra unit since April of this year. Have several issues that have not been resolved.

1. Right turn signal usage stops display
2. Steering wheel volume controls don’t work while in reverse
3. Steering wheel phone controls won’t answer or end call.

I’m hoping to try Terry Mosher’s alternative to the metra unit over Xmas break.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I’ve had this Metra unit since April of this year. Have several issues that have not been resolved.

1. Right turn signal usage stops display
2. Steering wheel volume controls don’t work while in reverse
3. Steering wheel phone controls won’t answer or end call.

I’m hoping to try Terry Mosher’s alternative to the metra unit over Xmas break.
Is this your LX , EX or EX-L?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So what I ended up doing is setting my vehicle to 2013-2014 instead of 2015 in the settings of the metra kit. I drive a CVT 2015 Sport. It is now September and I still haven’t had a single issue with the metra kit since February when I installed it. I never updated it either when I received it from Crutchfield.
Do the LaneWatch / Backup camera / MPG screens work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed kit on 2013 exl coupe the only issue I’m having is that the EXL with premium system don’t have antenna plug in behind radio. The plug is in back so until I figure out how to extend wire I will have no radio. But back up cam and side mirror do work well, but like what others are saying cam is darker

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed kit on 2013 exl coupe the only issue I’m having is that the EXL with premium system don’t have antenna plug in behind radio. The plug is in back so until I figure out how to extend wire I will have no radio. But back up cam and side mirror do work well, but like what others are saying cam is darker
You have to play around with the brightness, contrast and black level in the menu. I think the cam is fine for me after some adjustment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, stupid question but, does the metra interface allow to change the background color of the imid like the stock head unit? I have a red theme going on inside my car and would like the imid screen to remain red but all of the pictures I see of the metra interface are blue.

BTW Russ_C I saw on another thread that someone installed an aftermarket radio in an EX-L and used the following harness to extend the antenna:
Metra 44-EC204
Metra 40-HD11

Dunno if it woks as I havent done it myself but it may be helpful. See the link to the thread below:

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/138-audio-electronics-lighting/493065-upgrade-ex-l-head-unit-tips-tricks.html

21 - 40 of 65 Posts