Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I’ve had this Metra unit since April of this year. Have several issues that have not been resolved.

1. Right turn signal usage stops display
2. Steering wheel volume controls don’t work while in reverse
3. Steering wheel phone controls won’t answer or end call.

I’m hoping to try Terry Mosher’s alternative to the metra unit over Xmas break.
Did you try Terry Mosher's method?

·
Acoustics BSEE
1,686 Posts
I installed kit on 2013 exl coupe the only issue I’m having is that the EXL with premium system don’t have antenna plug in behind radio. The plug is in back so until I figure out how to extend wire I will have no radio. But back up cam and side mirror do work well, but like what others are saying cam is darker
The antenna signal does come into the radio, but not what you'd expect. It's three wires in Harness "L" and it comes from the amplifier at the rear of the car. There is an antenna adapter (Metra 40-HD10) that includes a blue wire for antenna power (which you would tie to the aftermarket head unit power antenna output. The adapter also provides the standards antenna connector.

At least, that's what the schematic for a 2013 premium system shows.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh wow, just came across this thread. Pretty cool that it seems to be working, but I agree $350 is quite a bit. I drove in a car with AndroidAuto, and I reaaaaalllyy liked it though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone know if the analog clock function is still available? All the pics I see are of the digital clock.
Unfortunately, it is not.

I could be the head unit I purchased (Alpine ILX-W650), but not positive and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues as me... (1) Whenever I pass through reverse (Park to Drive / Drive to Park / or any combination of) the volume is turned down by 1 notch and (2) when I use the iMid screen via SWC, whatever button I am pressing controls the iMid screen as well as functions on the radio. I followed the wiring instructions and double checked my work as well. Anyone else having this issues?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am installing the same head unit this weekend, I'll let you know.
How did your install go? Any of the same issues that I'm experiencing? I called Crutchfield today and they believe the issue could be the interface module, so they're sending me a new kit to try.

Has the MPG screen been added with any newer firmware?
Unfortunately, it has not been. For me, it's not big deal, but I know others like the option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I finished my install today and I am not noticing any issues once so ever. looks good. sounds good. all controls work as advertised. I'd assume its the module as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I finished my install today and I am not noticing any issues once so ever. looks good. sounds good. all controls work as advertised. I'd assume its the module as well.
Thanks. I've replaced the wiring harness and the module(s) and still having the same issue. I'm not sure what the issue is and I'm to the point of where I'll just deal with it.

Did you do a direct ground to chassis or just use the harnesses ground?

If you wouldn't mind, please send me over what wiring connections that you made just as a reference/review.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys! Im having all the related issues about the kit! Backup camera black picture, lane watch the same, fcw light in dash on! Can i do a reset on the module? Can I upgrade my firmware, how? Maybe not properly installed? Please help! Im very upset right now after all that money spent

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I've replaced the wiring harness and the module(s) and still having the same issue. I'm not sure what the issue is and I'm to the point of where I'll just deal with it.

Did you do a direct ground to chassis or just use the harnesses ground?

If you wouldn't mind, please send me over what wiring connections that you made just as a reference/review.
I began to have issues and have since replaced the head unit to a Kenwood ddx-9906xr and Kenwood rear camera. I haven't had any issues so far but I didn't have them at first with the alpine either....

·
Registered
42 Posts
That stinks. I tried swapping out my 650 with no luck... same results. I think I’m past my return date with Crutchfield for a different unit and will probably have to wait or just deal with the issues. Please keep me posted with your new head unit.

·
3-Time Accord Owner
1,125 Posts
ink I’m past my return date with Crutchfield for a different unit and will probably have to wait o
FWIW, Crutchfield now gives you 60 days to return something, whereas it used to be 30 days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys! Im having all the related issues about the kit! Backup camera black picture, lane watch the same, fcw light in dash on! Can i do a reset on the module? Can I upgrade my firmware, how? Maybe not properly installed? Please help! Im very upset right now after all that money spent
What issues with the camera are you having?

With what you’re reporting, it could possibly me a wiring issue. I’d pull everything out a triple check your work. Make sure your have solid connections and no exposure wiring that could cause a short.

FWIW, Crutchfield now gives you 60 days to return something, whereas it used to be 30 days.
Gotcha. I’m definitely coming to that point. I originally purchased around 7/7. I’ll give them a call and see what can be done.

As a replacement for the Alpine, any recommendations?

Alright... I spoke with a tech support guy at Metra today and here’s what I know... they have heard from others that there are issues with the Alpine 650 and ASWC-1 talking, so they’re working on an update. They also know of other issues the 99-7804 kit is causing (turns down volume with reverse, front warning collision light, etc.) and are working on a update as well. The time frame for these updates is unknown with SEMA being around the corner, but he was confident they would be put out before the end of the year.

@ Ale_0518... according to the tech, your issue can be fixed by changing the car year to 2015+ in the iMid menu.

For those of us with the reverse turning down the volume issue, we can splice in a switch between the on the 12v ACC wire between the ASWC-1 and the harness connector as a temporary solution. By flipping the switch off, it’ll disable the ASWC-1 until your run it back on again. not sure what is worse... turning the volume back up or using a switch.

Also since I live fairly close to them, I may have the chance to go in to their shop for testing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the same Metra kit about a week ago. I'm running into 3 different issues.
I've been emailing someone named Jerry back and forth over the last week or so.
Here are the issues I'm having. I'm not sure if anyone here has any insight as to what is causing these issues but at a minimum it looks like the volume lowering in reverse has at least been brought to their attention:

Issue 1 - is the audio going to volume 00 once the car is put in reverse (this is a 6 speed manual transmission by the way).

Issue 2 - is the FCW light is on my dash ever since I disconnected the stock stereo. I've went into the Metra settings and tried enabling/disabling the FCW option, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Issue 3 - is that the Metra display (the upper display in the car; not the new stereo itself) has a very dim display. It was bright initially, but I was messing with the Metra settings and changed my "car" from a 2013 Accord to a 2014-2015 model.
I believe that's when the display dimmed. I then set it back to 2013 (my car is a 2013), but the display hasn't been bright ever since. Adjusting the Metra brightness settings don't seem to make any difference.
So trying to use the backup camera in the day time is next to impossible due to the top display being so dim.

If anyone here knows of any possible solutions to these issues, I'm all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to remove my kit today... I am having all of the above issues with both the alpine and Kenwood head units. I am going to try hiding my stock head unit back in the dash and splicing what I need out of it to the new head unit. Ultimately between the volume and the horribly dim display, I just couldn't stand it. not for a $300 kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to remove my kit today... I am having all of the above issues with both the alpine and Kenwood head units. I am going to try hiding my stock head unit back in the dash and splicing what I need out of it to the new head unit. Ultimately between the volume and the horribly dim display, I just couldn't stand it. not for a $300 kit.
I was just about to pull the trigger on this kit but not anymore. How did your effort to bury the original turn out? Is there a thread that goes into detail on burying the head unit?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I was just about to pull the trigger on this kit but not anymore. How did your effort to bury the original turn out? Is there a thread that goes into detail on burying the head unit?
A little more involved but I think the trunk relocation is the best option I've seen to date.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/extend-factory-head-unit-to-the-trunk-a-tutorial.460857/

Burying the head in the dash, not sure if this is best thread on that subject, but I had it bookmarked. Keep in mind that burying in the dash is usually done with EX, Sport and LX trim levels. EX-L and Touring (with touchscreen radios) make it much more difficult due to the size of those head units.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/relocating-factory-hu.345265/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for not posting sooner, but better late than never. If you’ll see my previous post (#55), I’ll be working with Metra after SEMA to hopefully resolve most of the issues since I’m local to their shop. Essentially, Honda did something with the logics that when an aftermarket radio is installed and you want to use the iMid screen, it turns the volume down every time the screen flashes on. Metra is working in a patch to fix this. They’re also working on a patch for the ASWC-1 to fix the issue that causes the radio to still be controlled when attempting to change settings on the iMid.

You have a few options here to help mitigate the issues... (1) you can install the aftermarket directly to the car and wire the factory camera to the unit or replace the camera, (2) you can install a switch inline with the 12v ACC (red wire) to turn the radio off while going into reverse or making settings changes on the iMid or (3) just “deal with it” in order to have CarPlay. I’ve personally tried all three and I’ve just decided to deal with the bugs for now. Metra is aware of the issues that the kit and ASWC-1 have and will be working to resolve them after SEMA.

Burying the factory head unit, while feasible, isn’t as easy as it may sound. There’s a lot of time consuming wiring and modifying that has to happen.

Thing you’ll need to consider are what aftermarket radio will you be using (Alpine ILX-W650 is best option since it’s a shallow unit), will there be enough room to bury and pulling it out twice a year to change the radio or whenever you want to make other changes. Installing it in the trunk would be the best option, but also very time consuming.

Despite the issues, the Metra 99-7804 is a good option. Another suggestion is purchasing an aftermarket radio that people have had success with. I’m personally using the Alpine ILX-W650 as it has proven to be less buggy than the ILX-W107 or other CarPlay units. I’ve personally tired a Pioneer and Sony unit that had way more issues with the Metra kit than the W650. I would also recommend purchasing the kit and radio from Crutchfield since they offer a 60 day return policy and technical support. Reaching out to Metra is the best option when it issues with the 99-7804 kit and Axxess ASWC-1. They helped resolve a couple of issues and explained things in further detail.

Hopefully the info I’ve shared helps you all. If you want to talk or FaceTime about your issues, I’ll be more than glad to help. Just send me a PM and I’ll find some time to help you out.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts