Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
'08 6MT Coupe Belize Blue
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't signed on here in a long time and I'm too lazy to search the boards...I was wondering if Honda has found out the cause of the high speed wheel shimmy and what the solution is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't signed on here in a long time and I'm too lazy to search the boards...I was wondering if Honda has found out the cause of the high speed wheel shimmy and what the solution is.
Apparently, no solution. I took it to Honda, and after 4 hours of "working on it" aka, sitting in the lot, they said there is no problem, and told me to take my car home.

·
Stuck in 5th Gear
759 Posts
Not sure if this is along the same lines.....but I noticed that on the highway I had to adjust my steering wheel ever so slightly on a consistant basis.

I upgraded to the TSX 17mm sway bar and ITS GONE!!!!:banana:

Again, not sure if this is the problem you are experiencing, but for $70 you may want to look into the mod anyway

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if this is along the same lines.....but I noticed that on the highway I had to adjust my steering wheel ever so slightly on a consistant basis.

I upgraded to the TSX 17mm sway bar and ITS GONE!!!!:banana:

Again, not sure if this is the problem you are experiencing, but for $70 you may want to look into the mod anyway
Nope. This is not the shaking of the steering wheel/ride that many here are experiencing. What is surprising to me is that Honda has yet to diagnose and fix this widespread problem.

·
niiice!
347 Posts
..i used to get the shimmy when speeding.
I no longeer speed in my i4 though and i now just treate this honda like the cruze worthy car that it is..

hopefully theirs a fix though.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
So if it's not the shaking of the steering wheel or ride .. what shimmy do you speak of? I mean what else would be "shimmy'n"?
:yes:

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if it's not the shaking of the steering wheel or ride .. what shimmy do you speak of? I mean what else would be "shimmy'n"?
No. 2010Couper was speaking of something else. I was referring to his description. So yes, it's the shaking of the wheel/car that many have.

..i used to get the shimmy when speeding.
I no longeer speed in my i4 though and i now just treate this honda like the cruze worthy car that it is..

...That's great. But that's also not what many here have been experiencing. It starts around maybe 55 mph up to 70??? But it goes away after driving a bit.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
its probably the tires ...i never had it before my hfps ..then again my car is slammed it may be the tire rods ..hm

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it's not the tires. It's not anything that anyone can figure out so far. So let's not state the obvious.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
Keep going back to your dealership or to another dealer. It'll bound to happen in one of the rides. Or get your tires rebalanced / aligned, check tire pressure, tighten your lugs. It can be many things that you might look because you may think it's too "obvious".

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, I've done everything possible a number of times to fix it. 2nd, I sold the car 2 years ago. I was just wondering if this issue has been addressed by Honda.

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep going back to your dealership or to another dealer. It'll bound to happen in one of the rides. Or get your tires rebalanced / aligned, check tire pressure, tighten your lugs. It can be many things that you might look because you may think it's too "obvious".
And FYI, the shaking persisted after switching to different tires. Trust me, there's a thread buried on this site somewhere where many have this problem despite trying everything possible to solve it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No it's not the tires. It's not anything that anyone can figure out so far. So let's not state the obvious.
I test drove a new 2010 with 8 miles on it and noticed this shimmy that did go away if you drove above 70-75 mph or below 50 mph if I remember correctly. The salesman said it's a tire out of balance and can be fixed. Then I went to another dealer and drove the car I have with zero shimmy on it, glad I listen to my gut feeling that a new car shouldn't come with a problem already!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't worry...its not the tires. I have 56k and just bought brand new tires about 1000 miles ago...same problem...along with the TPMS indicator ALWAYS on...uuggHhh.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hrmmm....shimmy. I've experienced that when I first bought my car when it was cold and snowy out. But once the warm weather hit and I had the tire pressure checked I've never had that problem.

I've gone past 100 and the steering wheel is as sound as a brick at that speed.

So...no more shimmy here.:banana:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have had the issue since car was new. They Balanced tires, it never did a thing.

·
The Stig's day off...
223 Posts
Make sure all your tires are inflated at the same pressure. I had a high speed shimmy, did my monthly tire pressure check and found my front right tire was down by 5 psi while the rest were fine. I reinflated the front right and the shimmy went away. That was well over 5 months ago, all tires are holding.

Dealership sold me the car with unevenly filled tires. Crackjobs. :headbash:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
maybe you was speeding too much? in need of a balance? warp rotors and you was pressing the brakes? driving on poor constructed/worn out roads? many different possibilities, but it's been 2 years since you sold the car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts