Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Samsung Galaxy Light Android and it charges nicely in the USB Port. Music does not play, I don't get an option to select the phone.

According to the manual, only Apple products and USB flash drives play through the USB. Apparently an android phone is not recognized as a flash drive.

Any Android users able to play via USB.

I am a former iphone user (great product) ans switched to Android (great product) on T mobile. Iphone was an option with T-Mobile-long story.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am using Samsung Galaxy Light Android and it charges nicely in the USB Port. Music does not play, I don't get an option to select the phone.

According to the manual, only Apple products and USB flash drives play through the USB. Apparently an android phone is not recognized as a flash drive.

Any Android users able to play via USB.

I am a former iphone user (great product) ans switched to Android (great product) on T mobile. Iphone was an option with T-Mobile-long story.
Have not tested this out yet, but it may work :)

* You have to pay for the app if you want to use it forever though. It has 7 days trial :(

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
2013 EX-L 2.4 sedan white
46 Posts
Have not tested this out yet, but it may work :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u7oWvShTQk

* You have to pay for the app if you want to use it forever though. It has 7 days trial :(
It works, but you need at first to install a special program (may be not one like on the video, there are a lot of the same programs, which can create a virtual disk on your phone), and the second - you must have ROOT on the phone.

·
Registered
924 Posts
thats a really helpful app, thanks for pointing it out. i use bluetooth in the car for calls so i just use it for music as well and just charge it with a charger. has anyone used an app like this and can confirm that the usb reads the file tree like using a usb stick or more like an iphone? my guess is it reads like a usb stick plugged in.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can try turning on USB mass storage on the phone. (Generally requires to turn on debugging mode. You do not have to have root.) If navigation is anything like a USB flash drive it's not worth it. I just keep an old iPod in the car. The sound and integration are better through the USB than bluetooth.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a friend that wanted me to install something via their android and I remember having to change the mode the phone was in for the contents such as music to be accessible...maybe through the options perhaps?

If all else fails, I'm sure your nearest Apple Store would be more than willing to assist you in crossing over to an iPhone device :thmsup:

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not use bluetooth streaming? You can still charge your phone via USB.
Sound quality stinks-good for local errands and no cords to fiddle with so I use it the way i use FM radio.

+1 on this... just use Bluetooth to play your music

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
See above

You can try turning on USB mass storage on the phone. (Generally requires to turn on debugging mode. You do not have to have root.) If navigation is anything like a USB flash drive it's not worth it. I just keep an old iPod in the car. The sound and integration are better through the USB than bluetooth.
That's the reason for USB music, the BT is convenient but of poor fidelity. OK, maybe not poor, but just adequate. Notice how loud you have to turn up the volume on BT and USB will blow you out at the same volume. Same when I had my iphone. Have you noticed if you make the music "jump" on BTand you switch to FM it is WAY TOO LOUD.

I consider the BT sound quality a few ticks better than FM and the USB sound quality good but far from great-the Accord stereo stinks-and yes I have the so called "premium" audio. That is a different topic-

I had a friend that wanted me to install something via their android and I remember having to change the mode the phone was in for the contents such as music to be accessible...maybe through the options perhaps?

If all else fails, I'm sure your nearest Apple Store would be more than willing to assist you in crossing over to an iPhone device :thmsup:
I have had 3 iphones and I have a bit more
Apple stock than Google stock so I win either way.:thmsup:

Just as an FYI for my unique situation, Apple does not support Wifi calling which I need in my T-Mobile area near my house otherwise the Iphone would work-Android is a great platform too, I had the original Droid several years ago and loved it. The surprising Windows 8 on Nokia's Lumia is also quite excellent too. In the interest of full disclosure, I have no position in MSFT.

I dropped Verizon and switched to TM and saved $150 a month since it I no longer want to provide dividends for VZW shareholders. To save $1800 a year you have to put up with something like the Accord recognizing only Apple products. I am going to do the debugging and change settings to mass storage and report back, thanks and to others who mentioned that. More info than you ever wanted but I'm in a chatty mood right now.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I can't wait to get to my laptop at work tomorrow and try this. I'll holla back.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
You can also use a 3.5mm male to male from the headphone jack to the AUX input.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
If using the aux input, use the shortest cable you can. Otherwise it can pick up noise

·
Registered
535 Posts
Came here to say this, USB mass storage turns your phone into a storage device and files in certain of the folders should be detectable by the car.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good option especially for a road trip.

If using the aux input, use the shortest cable you can. Otherwise it can pick up noise
Nice

Came here to say this, USB mass storage turns your phone into a storage device and files in certain of the folders should be detectable by the car.
Thanks guys, I did the procedure to "debug" and turn on USB mass storage but no luck. I don't plan to "root" the phone so I'll be stuck with the BT streaming for now until I can do some further investigation.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
From what I gather, if your Android device requires drivers for Windows to connect, it will not attach as a storage device like Apple products.

Now there are ways to use Sharecast/Miracast to stream and still use Bluetooth for syncing and phone calls.

Though you will need a Dongle hard set for Miracast and HDMI to Dolby stereo preamp converter to go inline with axillary inputs, this can be done cleanly to aftermarket head units. When properly done the USB cable is just for charging, everything else is wireless.

Dongles are from $10 to $35 depending on capabilities and how well the interface is done. The HDMI to line out device, they run about $35.00 and can be expensive it you want muli-channel with 1080p processing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know you said Bluetooth quality stinks, but have you tried a 3rd party music player that has EQ controls? I use Power Amp and tweak the EQ to get really good (relatively) sound quality.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I know you said Bluetooth quality stinks, but have you tried a 3rd party music player that has EQ controls? I use Power Amp and tweak the EQ to get really good (relatively) sound quality.
That is a misconception, it is not blue tooth that has issues, it is the hardware attached that makes the difference. BT3.0 spec can do data rates higher than what you get streamed to your phone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts