Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service needed light came up and the oil life was 15%. I took it in to an oil change shop. When I checked out the tech said I needed a transmission service according to the computer. The maintenance minder was already reset at this point. Can I see was the last code was anyway?

·
2016 Accord Coupe EX-L
133 Posts
I don't believe that information is stored, I think there's a way to see what the next service will be but not past. The owner's manual might have that information if you want to pursue that. How many miles since your last change? What transmission do you have?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Total mileage on the car should give you an idea. I’m at about 130k and got the 13 code. Engine oil and trans changed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not see anything in the manual or by poking around in the menus in the car. I have the CVT. It has 34,500 miles on it. I have not changed the transmission fluid yet. There isn't a milage number listed under the maintenance schedule so I am puzzled.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe once the code is cleared it’s gone for good. I see the new RDX’s have the option to clear specific maintenance items, which I really like because sometimes I just can’t get to the dealer for service and end up changing the oil myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did not see anything in the manual or by poking around in the menus in the car. I have the CVT. It has 34,500 miles on it. I have not changed the transmission fluid yet. There isn't a milage number listed under the maintenance schedule so I am puzzled.
I was at the dealer last month (34K miles at the time) for an oil change (only code shown) and they recommended a transmission fluid drain/fill because "Honda recommends every 30K miles". I thought to myself that's BS because the owner's manual practically tells you to wait for the code unless you drive in mountainous areas and/or towing, at which point they recommend every 25K miles. I went ahead and did it anyway because I'm the 2nd owner and drive in city traffic a lot.

Personally, if the mechanic told you it popped up and you've never done it before I would get it done for the peace of mind. I believe some people here change their fluid more conservatively anyway and don't wait for the MM code to pop up.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You have to hope that the guy is being honest, and I believe that most people are. the car is at least 26 months old (what year is it btw?) and the mileage COULD check out if you drive it the right way to trigger the MM. It doesn't hurt to do at least a 1x drain refill, although the dogma seems to be a 3x drain fill for optimal service of a CVT. Are you willing or able to do this yourself? dealership pricing for an automatic tranny fluid "flush" is like $150 here in CT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to hope that the guy is being honest, and I believe that most people are. the car is at least 26 months old (what year is it btw?) and the mileage COULD check out if you drive it the right way to trigger the MM. It doesn't hurt to do at least a 1x drain refill, although the dogma seems to be a 3x drain fill for optimal service of a CVT. Are you willing or able to do this yourself? dealership pricing for an automatic tranny fluid "flush" is like $150 here in CT.
It was a Vavoline. He also said a fuel system service was also recommended. The car is 2016. I could do it myself potentially. I'll have to see what the procedure is.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It was a Vavoline. He also said a fuel system service was also recommended. The car is 2016. I could do it myself potentially. I'll have to see what the procedure is.
my dealer pulled that fuel system line on me with my 2014, probably around the 2-3 year mark between 50k and 75k. I declined. I did notice some power loss, it wasn't quite as snappy around 120k, but who knows if those are related.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you're using Top Tier Fuel, don't bother with "Fuel System Service". If you're NOW worried about it, dump a bottle of TECHRON in your tank. My MM indicated a CVT fluid change at just over 50K miles. Mine looked almost new when I drained/filled it. Others have reported different mileage, and some say their fluid looked darker. If you aren't hard on your car, my guess is your CVT fluid is fine at less than 50K miles. If you do it yourself, it's not difficult, and not very expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're using Top Tier Fuel, don't bother with "Fuel System Service". If you're NOW worried about it, dump a bottle of TECHRON in your tank. My MM indicated a CVT fluid change at just over 50K miles. Mine looked almost new when I drained/filled it. Others have reported different mileage, and some say their fluid looked darker. If you aren't hard on your car, my guess is your CVT fluid is fine at less than 50K miles. If you do it yourself, it's not difficult, and not very expensive.
I almost exclusively use top tier fuel. I declined the fuel service.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you're using Top Tier Fuel, don't bother with "Fuel System Service".
Isn't the big advantage of top tier that it has more detergent? If no fuel washes through the intake system, then that part of the engine doesn't benefit from the detergents. IDK, I'm not advocating that you should get the service done, just that in this instance, top tier doesn't do as much as we wish it would

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts
I guess it is a good idea to see the code yourself before you pull in to a quick change oil shop. I have lost count on the number of panic phone calls I received from friends at a Jiffy Lube, Mr. Lube, Valvoline, etc asking me if their car really needs an engine, transmission, and coolant flush because the tech said "It was in the computer."

Which "computer"? The Jiffy Lube cash register telling him he needs to upsell 25% more this month or he loses hours to Thadius? Or the car's maintenance minder system? Because Honda does not have a code for "fuel system cleaning".

·
Registered
44 Posts
This may be a good time to get the CVT fluid changed with the mileage you've stated and if you haven't previously changed it. The tech may have said this to up-sell, but around 35k is a good time for a single drain & fill even if you're not driving in mountainous areas and/or towing. At almost 140k on mine and I waited until the MM came up around 50k for the first one, and in retrospect thinking it may not have been a bad idea to change earlier. I haven't done a fuel system cleaning yet and do have lifetime mpg records on the car ... still solid, no real drop-offs ... only related issue was a throttle body issue at 139k for which I cleaned the throttle body to resolve.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, the MM on my 7th gen V6 5AT has never come on in 190k miles. Regardless, I did the 3x3 starting around 170k miles. I ran it several thousand miles between each change. It was pretty dark to start and ended up nice and red. Never have had any tranny issues with it. I’m thinking I’ll start doing a 3x1 on my 9th gens 6ATs about every 50k miles or so.

I’d be speculative as if the MM for a tranny service was really on. But couldn’t hurt to do a 3x1 to check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 9th gen 2015, 2.4 with a CVT. Drained CVT at 30k miles. Fluid smelled odd. Drained again at 50K. This time fluid seems cleaner and no smell. Also the CVT runs without slight whine when stopping it had before. I am planning to drain and fill every 25k going forward. Easy DIY for $40-$50.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts