Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while driving home from work, my Accord started to run really rough and the Check Engine light started flashing. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning to have them take a look at it.

They just called me back with some pretty bad news. Something happened with one of the spark plug coils (corrosion) that caused it to pull the spark plug out of the head. Apparently, it was a problem that has been going on for a while, but just now caused the engine to misfire because it finally pulled the plug completely out. This caused the threading to get stripped.

They're going to send it out to see if the threading can be re-machined. If it can, it'll cost me about $3000 total for the repair job. If not, they'll have to order me a new cylinder head, which apparently is going to cost me about $3800 just for the part. Ugh.

I told them to go ahead and send it out, as $3000 seems "reasonable" for a repair (vs. trading it in and getting a new car). My question to everyone is if it ends up that I need to get a new cylinder head, if I should repair it (total cost would be about $5300) or trade it in on a new vehicle.

The vehicle is listed in my signature below. There's about 68k miles on it. Kelly's Blue Book has the trade-in value at $11,500 to $13,700. I figure the dealer would just deduct the cost of the repair from it, which would leave me about $6200 to $8400 towards a new car.

Also, anyone else hear of this sort of thing happening? The advisor said that this sort of problem does happen, but not very often and there really isn't anything I could've done to prevent it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Oh man, sorry to hear about this happening to you. That has to be rough.

I've never heard of that happening. That's definitely news for me.

As far as getting a new car goes, was there anything wrong with the car before this? Anything major that you can see worth buying a new car? I really feel like if the car was running like a dream before this happened then the $3k would just be worth it to repair it. 68k miles is really not that much for an 07.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
If it was cylinder #5 it has happened plenty of times. Were you hearing ticking noises from the engine before this happened? The popular belief is that the spark plug (usually #5) loosens, and finally blows out of the cylinder.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
Thought of a Helicoil repair?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/4212608

Thought of a Time-Sert repair?
http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

They coat the drill bit with grease so that aluminum chips don't fall into the cylinder.

I tried the Helicoil five years ago on a lawnmower engine just to try it out- works great. Never tried it on a car engine.

This can be a job for an independent shop....much cheaper than the dealer SHOULD the dealer refuse to help you. The dealer may only recommend replacement. An indy can swap in a used head for $800 or can even try a Helicoil repair or Time-Sert repair for a few hundred bucks.

BTW, THIS is why some mechanics suggest removing your spark plugs every couple of years and re-coating them with anti-seize.

·
6,322 Posts
I'd call Honda corporate and tell them about the problem and see if you can get them to pay for it. Since it's not far past the powertrain warranty and serious engine work shouldn't be needed at less than 70k miles. Tell them you purchased many hondas and are a loyal owner. If they can't pay the whole thing see if they will pay 50%. But my goal would be 100% coverage. Be nice yet firm.

If HC thinks you have a case they'll open a case file and communicate with the dealer. This has happened a few times with this engine and has been reported at least 3-4 times on here.

Check this thread out:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=842485&highlight=helicoil#post842485

Similiar:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1599642&highlight=helicoil#post1599642

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1069559&highlight=helicoil#post1069559

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,601 Posts
Even if I had to pay $3,000 for it, I'd do it if I was planning to keep the car for at least another 5 years. That works out to at most $50 a month. But I agree with SatinSilver, contact Honda first to see if you can get some help with the repair or find a reliable independent Honda shop.

·
Honda enthusiast
225 Posts
They are hosing you. You shouldn't have done anything with them for that amount. What happened to getting a second opinion? That's highway robbery, never go to a dealer unless you are rich.

·
Registered
254 Posts
yeah i wouldve seen it in person 1st but man feel like i been seeing this come up to often tomorrow i will be removing the 5th coil pack and making sure its tight. Btw is there anything others have used like thread lock or something just to help it out a bit?

OP you didnt mention the miles? and honestly if your gonna invest $3K i'd hold on to her for a few years have the timing belt service done you shouldnt be charged labor for that since there in there already. but diffidently contact Honda Corporate try to have them cover asmuch as possibly if not all. Good Luck man hope all turns out well.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it was cylinder #5 it has happened plenty of times. Were you hearing ticking noises from the engine before this happened? The popular belief is that the spark plug (usually #5) loosens, and finally blows out of the cylinder.
BINGO!

I don't know if you remember, I started a thread about a month back where I thought I might need a valve adjustment because the engine seemed like it was sounding noisier (I think you might have posted in it). No one suggested it might be this problem, so I just figured it was just the usual noisy engine when it's cold.

I guess that's what the problem was afterall.

Curious - You said that it has happened plenty of times. Was there a TSB about it? Do you have more details on what exactly happens? Do you think checking the spark plugs regularly would prevent the problem?

Oh man, sorry to hear about this happening to you. That has to be rough.

I've never heard of that happening. That's definitely news for me.

As far as getting a new car goes, was there anything wrong with the car before this? Anything major that you can see worth buying a new car? I really feel like if the car was running like a dream before this happened then the $3k would just be worth it to repair it. 68k miles is really not that much for an 07.
Yes, the car was running fine before this issue. My big concern is that it ends up being over twice as much if I need to replace the head.

Thought of a Helicoil repair?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/4212608

Thought of a Time-Sert repair?
http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

They coat the drill bit with grease so that aluminum chips don't fall into the cylinder.

I tried the Helicoil five years ago on a lawnmower engine just to try it out- works great. Never tried it on a car engine.

This can be a job for an independent shop....much cheaper than the dealer SHOULD the dealer refuse to help you. The dealer may only recommend replacement. An indy can swap in a used head for $800 or can even try a Helicoil repair or Time-Sert repair for a few hundred bucks.

BTW, THIS is why some mechanics suggest removing your spark plugs every couple of years and re-coating them with anti-seize.
The advisor did suggest that I could take it to an independent shop (she recommended one) to have them give what you suggested a try, but my concern was that I would need to pay to have it towed over there and if they couldn't get it to work, I'd be back to needing a replacement. It's less running around having the dealer do it, plus they're paying for a rental while they have my car.

I'd call Honda corporate and tell them about the problem and see if you can get them to pay for it. Since it's not far past the powertrain warranty and serious engine work shouldn't be needed at less than 70k miles. Tell them you purchased many hondas and are a loyal owner. If they can't pay the whole thing see if they will pay 50%. But my goal would be 100% coverage. Be nice yet firm.

If HC thinks you have a case they'll open a case file and communicate with the dealer. This has happened a few times with this engine and has been reported at least 3-4 times on here.

Check this thread out:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=842485&highlight=helicoil#post842485

Similiar:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1599642&highlight=helicoil#post1599642

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1069559&highlight=helicoil#post1069559
Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call and let everyone know what happens.

Even if I had to pay $3,000 for it, I'd do it if I was planning to keep the car for at least another 5 years. That works out to at most $50 a month. But I agree with SatinSilver, contact Honda first to see if you can get some help with the repair or find a reliable independent Honda shop.
Agreed... for $3000, I'd do it. My question is more regarding if I need to get a new cylinder head which would push the repair job to at least twice that amount.

They are hosing you. You shouldn't have done anything with them for that amount. What happened to getting a second opinion? That's highway robbery, never go to a dealer unless you are rich.
Getting a second opinion isn't always possible. I took it in not knowing what the problem was. Initially, they only thought that they could do it for $600 (not knowing that it was stripped). Plus, it wasn't like I could drive it someplace else once they got it apart, which means paying for a tow. I don't know of any decent independent shops in my area (haven't needed one since we moved to this town), so I could end up having it towed someplace where they'd rip me off.

yeah i wouldve seen it in person 1st but man feel like i been seeing this come up to often tomorrow i will be removing the 5th coil pack and making sure its tight. Btw is there anything others have used like thread lock or something just to help it out a bit?

OP you didnt mention the miles? and honestly if your gonna invest $3K i'd hold on to her for a few years have the timing belt service done you shouldnt be charged labor for that since there in there already. but diffidently contact Honda Corporate try to have them cover asmuch as possibly if not all. Good Luck man hope all turns out well.
My original post lists the miles... 68K.

Like I said, if it comes to $3K, I'll repair it. My question was really about what to do if it ends up being more (my guess is almost twice as much or maybe even more).

I'll definitely give Honda a call. Sounds like it's not exactly an uncommon problem, so maybe it won't take much to get them to cover it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Whoops idk how I skipped that lol read it twice even saw satinsilver mention "less then 70" lol

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
Timesert plus towing is still less than a new head. Talk to the independent shop before making the decision.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
sjlee: May I suggest that you post a new thread (with title question) asking specifically about a thrown #5 spark plug or about Helicoil vs. Time-Sert?

Your thread is already getting lots of responses and views, but I think you may get more responses from people who have thrown a #5 or have utilized a Helicoil. Or, those that have been "helped" by Honda corporate in cutting down the cost.

You really gotta do the research here....as BLCKFLSH stated, just call around after getting responses back from members who've been in the same boat.

·
Super Moderator
6,736 Posts
COMMON problem. I was one of the first to post about this 2 years ago, search for a thread under my alias. And sorry, it's not because of the corrosion of the coil pack that pulls out the spark plug, it is bad manufacturing tolerance on the head. It also happens on the Acura CL and TL's for roughly around the same years after speaking to an ASE certified tech who did a suspension job on the side for me who works at a local Acura dealer.

The key is to check that plug once in a while, I would say once a year. I have never gone back to the Iridium long-life plugs that run over 100k miles, I now run Denso Iridium Power which requires a change every 30k miles. It forces me to change it before something like this happens.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Timesert plus towing is still less than a new head. Talk to the independent shop before making the decision.
There's also the cost of a rental car, but even then you're right... it would be cheaper... just more of a hassle.

If Honda will pick up some of the tab, I'll probably just have the dealer do it.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
COMMON problem. I was one of the first to post about this 2 years ago, search for a thread under my alias. And sorry, it's not because of the corrosion of the coil pack that pulls out the spark plug, it is bad manufacturing tolerance on the head. It also happens on the Acura CL and TL's for roughly around the same years after speaking to an ASE certified tech who did a suspension job on the side for me who works at a local Acura dealer.

The key is to check that plug once in a while, I would say once a year. I have never gone back to the Iridium long-life plugs that run over 100k miles, I now run Denso Iridium Power which requires a change every 30k miles. It forces me to change it before something like this happens.
So how was your engine fixed? Timesert?

·
Banned
517 Posts
I have 136k original miles and 2nd tranny on a 2006 V6 At and I am TERRIFIED of a bad spark plug job by any shop(even a Honda shop and I pay premium) Someone calm me on this. I am coming up on a TB and Spark plug job and I have not even cleaned the TB yet. This car is a beast with the Dw1 fluid and 2nd tranny so great news there. I doubt this 2nd tranny would grenade based solely on fluid alone. And I bury my boots on the accelerator and fill my boots up quick! You feel me? Interject, please.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
All I can advise is to check the torque on the plugs, especially #5, with a torque wrench. Luckily #5 is one of the easiest plugs to check (front and center). Pretty sure it's 13 ft lbs.

·
Super Moderator
6,736 Posts
So how was your engine fixed? Timesert?
I didn't have to fix anything. I caught the plug already loose from the socket at 88k miles and changed it immediately. There was a mixture of dirt and oil already in the works. I'm glad I didn't let it go until 105k miles. I would be in the same boat as the OP now.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sjlee: May I suggest that you post a new thread (with title question) asking specifically about a thrown #5 spark plug or about Helicoil vs. Time-Sert?

Your thread is already getting lots of responses and views, but I think you may get more responses from people who have thrown a #5 or have utilized a Helicoil. Or, those that have been "helped" by Honda corporate in cutting down the cost.

You really gotta do the research here....as BLCKFLSH stated, just call around after getting responses back from members who've been in the same boat.
That's a good idea. I'll start another thread with the problem in the title and see what others who have had the same problem did.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts