Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,700 Posts
If it was cylinder #5 it has happened plenty of times. Were you hearing ticking noises from the engine before this happened? The popular belief is that the spark plug (usually #5) loosens, and finally blows out of the cylinder.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,700 Posts
Timesert plus towing is still less than a new head. Talk to the independent shop before making the decision.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,700 Posts
COMMON problem. I was one of the first to post about this 2 years ago, search for a thread under my alias. And sorry, it's not because of the corrosion of the coil pack that pulls out the spark plug, it is bad manufacturing tolerance on the head. It also happens on the Acura CL and TL's for roughly around the same years after speaking to an ASE certified tech who did a suspension job on the side for me who works at a local Acura dealer.

The key is to check that plug once in a while, I would say once a year. I have never gone back to the Iridium long-life plugs that run over 100k miles, I now run Denso Iridium Power which requires a change every 30k miles. It forces me to change it before something like this happens.
So how was your engine fixed? Timesert?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,700 Posts
All I can advise is to check the torque on the plugs, especially #5, with a torque wrench. Luckily #5 is one of the easiest plugs to check (front and center). Pretty sure it's 13 ft lbs.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,700 Posts
Just curious, I am taking my car into the dealer for an oil change, they sent a coupon for $15 for an oil change + engine and cabin filter!! Anyway I don't have a spark plug socket can I just ask them to check the #5 (I assume they will know of the possible defect?)
I know it's not $15 for the oil change, engine filter, and cabin filter. So how much for all three?
These things work like a charm (just read the reviews). http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...80546/25984192-P?searchTerm=spark+plug+socket

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,700 Posts
I checked mine over the weekend, and I'm happy to report that they were all still torqued to 15lbft (yes, I go over a couple).

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,700 Posts
Plugs should be torqued to 24 ft-lbs now, the original torque is insufficient.
Wow, that's quite a jump from 13 ft-lbs. I've gone with 15 ft-lbs both times I took them out, but nice to know I could easily go higher. I haven't noticed a loose plug yet, and I'm hesitant to go over 20 ft-lbs, for fear of stripping the threads in the head. Thanks for the information Fredsvt. If I do anything tomorrow (I'm so tired), this may be it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts