Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
I detail my car, a lot.
783 Posts
Just curious, I am taking my car into the dealer for an oil change, they sent a coupon for $15 for an oil change + engine and cabin filter!! Anyway I don't have a spark plug socket can I just ask them to check the #5 (I assume they will know of the possible defect?)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
They can, but my advice is to buy the socket it's dirt cheap vs what it costs to repair the problem. Nothing's more relaxing than verifying yourself.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
Just curious, I am taking my car into the dealer for an oil change, they sent a coupon for $15 for an oil change + engine and cabin filter!! Anyway I don't have a spark plug socket can I just ask them to check the #5 (I assume they will know of the possible defect?)
I know it's not $15 for the oil change, engine filter, and cabin filter. So how much for all three?
These things work like a charm (just read the reviews). http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...80546/25984192-P?searchTerm=spark+plug+socket

·
I detail my car, a lot.
783 Posts
I know it's not $15 for the oil change, engine filter, and cabin filter. So how much for all three?
These things work like a charm (just read the reviews). http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...80546/25984192-P?searchTerm=spark+plug+socket
My thoughts exactly it's some kind of recent buyer deal it's actually $17.99 but still I couldn't buy the supplies for that. I'll be doing my own oil after this though as they normally charge ~$45. Also thanks for the link, I'm stocking up on DIY tools (bought my first torque wrench today:)) so I'll pick one up!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
Registered
40 Posts
What the solution from keeping this issue from happening? Just check the plug a few times per year and tighten it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with sjlee, you have to try to be patient. I've been going back between Acura customer relations and Acura's extended warranty division over this issue for 2 plus weeks now. The claim is being denied because spark plugs are not covered under the extended warranty, sticking me with a $10,000 bill for a new engine. I stopped by the Honda dealership today and the tech showed me how the threads for cyl#5 were partially stripped by being able to move the plug up and down while it was threaded. If they finally accept the claim, I will post the claim # so that if there's any Acura owners who have found this thread, they can use the claim as a reference. Not sure if it will help, but may be worth a try.

·
Registered
179 Posts
sjlee, this happened to DW's 06 accord, when we had it, so i definitely sympathize with your (and everyone else's) pain. It was CPO at the time, but same thing, timesert in the head, compression test, bad block... I didn't have to fight to have it covered, but it was still about $500 out of pocket. So you should feel really, really good about a $1k repair, and a free timing belt change (as much as you can feel good about spending $1k). Ever since then, I've checked my plugs religiously on my 6-6... and I still have a disconcerting knocking/tapping noise :(

·
I detail my car, a lot.
783 Posts

·
I detail my car, a lot.
783 Posts
That is pretty much all you can do. I check each plug during every oil change.
What do you do about temperatures? I understand you should let the engine cool overnight before checking/tightening but it's currently below freezing where I am and I would like to check the plug again. I'm not sure how/if the 20-30F temperature will affect the plugs? Thanks

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
It is fine to check them on a cold engine. As always, just take care to not tighten them too much.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,480 Posts
I checked mine over the weekend, and I'm happy to report that they were all still torqued to 15lbft (yes, I go over a couple).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honda should cover the cost of this repair as that plug never should have loosened on its own. As a goodwill gesture I would expect them to take care of it. Send a letter to the president of Honda , ythat usually gets the best outcome.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
Honda should cover the cost of this repair as that plug never should have loosened on its own. As a goodwill gesture I would expect them to take care of it. Send a letter to the president of Honda , ythat usually gets the best outcome.
Ummm, did you read any posts in this thread?

The #5 spark plug on V6 engines can get loose. The solution is to check the tightness on the #5 plug often- especially if you just bought the car used. And especially if someone worked on it recently. A torque wrench is $10.

Don't send a letter to the President of Honda. For successful and fast results, follow the many suggestions mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For my dad's 2003 EX V6 it's the rear right third plug and the front third plug to the right that has issues. When I was taking out all the plugs to re-seat them just in case of loosening problems I noticed that I could not properly tighten these plugs down as they would begin to tighten then loosen etc. So I just found the best 15lb torque point. Keep in mind that I always apply anti-seize and dielectric grease(on porcelain ribs only) of the the plugs before installing...

Keep in mind that the plug has to be completely removed new anti-seize and dielectric re-applied since when you tighten or move the plug in anyway it breaks the old anti-seize protective bond/casing which could lead to a seized plug.

·
Gen7.5 v6Coupe M/T
4 Posts
After this issue got fixed, have you noticed any slight vibrations/knocking at idle? Mine's not that smooth anymore.
That issue probably burned my Cat. too.
06 6spd M/T Coupe. Plugs popped at 220k-km. Now 255k-km.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago. I'm new to this forum, but have been over on another popular Honda site for many years. I had this issue last year about this time. I had 214k miles on mine. I ended up trying to put a heli coil in it, but after getting it re-threaded and firing it up, it was obvious there was cylinder damage. It was missing on that cylinder. At first I gave up and bought a new car with no plans to fix this one, but after thinking about it for a while I decided that I loved this car way too much to just junk it.

After getting a ridiculous quote from Honda on a rebuilt motor I decided to find another option. I ended up buying a motor with 122k miles on it from a Junk Yard with a lifetime warranty. Their warranty is basically that they'll replace it anytime it fails and the first time it fails they will give you a check for $400 to cover part of the labor. I thought this was pretty impressive so I decided to go this route.

I then ended up going overkill on everything else. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, all tensioners, all external seals, the clutch, the flywheel, valve adjustment, etc. I wanted it done right since I planned to keep it quite a bit longer. After reading about changing the motor I decided this was more than I could handle I ran into was that the motor was from an automatic and I didn't realize ahead of time that the intake manifold and wiring harness were different. (I should have known). So they had to swap all of that over from my old motor.

I'm kind of jealous after reading all of the help you guys are getting from Honda. I wish I'd contacted them, but I feel like with 214k miles I was so far out of warranty that there was probably no hope.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts